• 23.04.2024, 03:11
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

D5 Next experiencing fan short circuit

Dienstag, 6. Juni 2023, 06:00

I got the d5 Next in a sff full water cool loop with 4 radiator fans.
When turning on the system or waking up from sleep, there is a high chance (like 50%) that the fans do not turn on and the pump starts its alarm, saying that there is a fan short circuit. I have to then force turn off the system and try again until the fans turn on at start. Sometimes it doesn't work the 2nd or 3rd time, but usually does by 2nd time.
The above scenario is what I got it to run like with just 2 of the fans connected to the pump.

When I had all 4 connected, it would short very frequently.

Could this be a controller issue or am I doing something wrong?

Dienstag, 6. Juni 2023, 07:51

Possibly the starting current of your 4 fans is too high in total and the pump detects a short circuit.
Disconnect one of the 4 fans and see if it runs stable.
If it works, maybe the Splitty Active would be a workaround for you.

Dienstag, 6. Juni 2023, 18:10

Thank you for your reply :)
I asked the person who's build I was copying if they had similar issues and they said they did not.

The only difference with their build and mine is they used 4 of the same fans (size 140) whereas I used 2 smaller (size 120) and 2 of the same (size 140) , same branded fans (ThermalTake TOUGHFAN 14 High Static Pressure Radiator Fan)
The specs from the fan website says:
140 Sized:
RATED CURRENT 0.34 A (Fan x1)
RATED VOLTAGE 4.08 W (Fan x1)

FAN STARTED VOLTAGE 9.0 V
FAN RATED VOLTAGE 12 V

to me nothing seems like it should be a problem but I'm not sure since I'm getting these issues. Would having them be different sized matter at all?
I have tried swapping them around with which ones were connected to the pump and still had the issues.

Remayz

Dienstag, 6. Juni 2023, 19:21

well, at startup they pull more current than the spec states.
If it's a hair above the 25W limit of the D5 output, it will shut down.
Maybe if you reset quick enough, and the fans are still slowing down, the startup current will be less and you end up managing to start.

Once they are spinning, they don't pull much current.

That other person may have different control over the fans, many things can make yours stop, and his, not.
If they spool up at full speed for a few seconds before slowing down, you will have problems. Maybe his fan curve does not do that and they start slow.

Mittwoch, 7. Juni 2023, 00:49

Well if I'm having the issues with 4 fans but also with 2 only, wouldn't that indicate that its not the fans startup current?

As for the resetting, the fans do not start at all, which is why I'm getting the alarm, so I don't think theres any residual current but maybe?

Freitag, 7. Juli 2023, 09:39

OP, did you do the test that Sebastian suggested? If so, what was the result?
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Samstag, 8. Juli 2023, 04:37

OP, did you do the test that Sebastian suggested? If so, what was the result?
OP said in the post above that it also happens with only 2 fans connected. I don't think 2 of those fans (120mm or 140mm) would pull so much in-rush current that they would exceed the port limit. I guess the next thing is to try just one fan. I assume there is some sort of PWM splitter cable being used. I would take a hard look at that too.