• 27.04.2024, 09:24
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Octo suddenly unable to control a fan in any mode (runs at full speed)

Dienstag, 4. Juli 2023, 08:59

Hello,
I have an aquaero 6 linked to an octo on the aquabus high speed link since 2019, and enermax rgb fans.

The octo is not plugged into USB, though with aquabus it can be easily controlled from aquasuite.
That config used to work correctly.

But now one of the fan is running at full speed and can't be controlled, whatever mode I set: PWM, Speed or Power.
I verified the output value in power mode is displayed at 0V, still the fan runs full speed.
I tried Power, PWM and Speed control at 50%, the fan still runs at full speed.

I unplugged it, it stopped of course :)
I have only one other fan plugged into the octo, and I can control its speed correctly.
I switched the plugs, same result. I can control the 1st fan but not the other one.

Is it my 1st fan which is the issue ?
How could it still run at full speed when the output voltage of the octo is 0V ??

Dienstag, 4. Juli 2023, 09:09

It looks like the output on the Octo is defective.
You can use another output, why this is so no one can answer you.

Dienstag, 4. Juli 2023, 09:40

I already switched to the other output that was controlling my other fan, which I am able to control whatever output I use.

Freitag, 7. Juli 2023, 08:33

Curious. Are you saying you can control the one fan on any of the Octo plugs but can't control the other fan (the fan that you have an issue with) on any of the Octo plugs?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Methodical« (7. Juli 2023, 08:35)

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Freitag, 7. Juli 2023, 12:05

It looks like the fan speed can be controlled only when the RGB connector is not plugged in the motherboard (MSI).

So it is not really an issue with OCTO.

Did you have this issue ?

Freitag, 7. Juli 2023, 12:22

:!: :!:
I found the issue !!
it is caused by AQUASUITE !!
:!: :!:

This is because this fan has a special behavior:
When its voltage is set to 0V (or unplugged), and its RGB plug is connected to the motherboard, it runs full speed.

Fan Brand and model:
ENERMAX SquARGB 12cm

When AQUASUITE wants to stop the fan (in PWM mode), instead of keeping the voltage at 12V without any RPM, it cuts the voltage to 0V.

The fan thinks it is not connected anymore, and instead uses the RGB power source to run full speed.

I worked around that temporarily by "holding minimum power" in aquasuite.
But it would be much better to have a checkbox to prevent Aquasuite from cutting the 12V power when it wants the fan at 0%.

Freitag, 7. Juli 2023, 12:25

It looks like the older versions of this fan don't have this "feature".
Only the versions of this year are like that.

Remayz

Freitag, 7. Juli 2023, 13:24

sooo you say it is caused by Aquasuite then explain it's the fan's fault ? hehe

It's a weird behaviour too because the RGB is only 5V, and the motor normally requires 12V to run at full speed.

Samstag, 8. Juli 2023, 02:49

Are you saying that when the fan PWM connector is UNPLUGGED, you can plug the DRGB connector into a mobo DRGB port and the fan will run at full speed? This cant' be right. I do not believe you can run a 12VDC PWM fan at full speed by plugging it into a 5VDC DRGB header. The product page says the following:

For non-RGB motherboard users
Users can use the PWM power cable to connect the fan to create constant rainbow RGB lighting effects

For addressable RGB motherboard users
Users can sync the RGB lighting with motherboards featuring Addressable RGB header (3 pin assignment is 5V/D/G)

I think what this means if if your mobo does not have a 5VDC DRGB header, you can plug the PWM cable into a PWM port on the mobo, and the fan will just cycle through a default rainbow pattern. So the "feature" is that the fan can do a default rainbow pattern when its DRGB cable is not plugged into a 5VDC DRGB port on the mobo (or wherever). You are correct that the Octo PWM port DC voltage goes to 0VDC when you set the speed to 0.