• 28.04.2024, 15:32
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

High Flow Next Alarm Modes

Samstag, 26. August 2023, 01:53

I have a question about some of the settings in the High Flow Next Alarm section. The bottom 3 buttons are “Power Switch, switch 1 second at alarm”. I understand what this does. The next 2 buttons are the ones I am wondering about - “Permanently switch on alarm” and “Permanently switch without alarm”. The Octo alarm section also has these buttons so they must affect the signal that is output through the optional alarm cable. Neither manual mentions these buttons. The top button causes it to put out a contact closure for 1 second. Permanently switch on Alarm I am guessing makes the contact closure permanent until the alarm is reset. Permanently switch without alarm I think would make the contact closure be present all the time, regardless of the alarm state. If this is correct, what would these modes be used for? If this is not correct, what do these 2 buttons do?

Samstag, 26. August 2023, 08:00

If this is correct, what would these modes be used for?

You can also use such a sensor outside the PC area.
There it makes sense to have such options. Anyone who integrates such a sensor into a system will be able to use the options.

Our devices are not limited to the PC area. They are also used a lot in laboratory and measurement environments. Therefore, there will always be options with which one or the other can not do anything.
But there are enough users who appreciate these options.

If you do not need a function, you can simply ignore it.

Samstag, 26. August 2023, 20:04

You can also use such a sensor outside the PC area.
There it makes sense to have such options. Anyone who integrates such a sensor into a system will be able to use the options.

Our devices are not limited to the PC area. They are also used a lot in laboratory and measurement environments. Therefore, there will always be options with which one or the other can not do anything.
But there are enough users who appreciate these options.

If you do not need a function, you can simply ignore it.
Thank you for your response. I had not considered uses outside of emulating a computer power switch. I may never have a need for these modes but my engineering brain wants to know exactly what they do.

Your response does not confirm that these buttons do what I think they do so I will attach an alarm cable and confirm the functions with an ohm meter. If the third button causes the contact closure to be present regardless of the alarm condition, then it's just always closed. If it never changes state, then it's not a control signal, it's just a short. If the contact is only closed while Aquasuite and/or the service is running, then it could be used to indicate their status. My trusty ohm meter will confirm.

Remayz

Montag, 28. August 2023, 11:42

the "permanently switch on / off" seem to be a normally close or normally open alarm signal.
Any alarm signal is usually set to be normally open (permanently switch without alarm). so the contact is kept closed, and opens in an alarm state. that's the safest way to do it because if your cable gets damaged, the alarm will be triggered too, making you aware something is not normal (no alarm raised ? then must be a cable fault).
An alarm circuit that is normally closed (permanently switch on alarm) is less safe, because if your wiring is broken, no potential alarm can be sent and you won't know it.

Depending on what you try to control, some will take only NO or NC alarm contacts and some will be able to take either of these

Montag, 28. August 2023, 18:43

the "permanently switch on / off" seem to be a normally close or normally open alarm signal.
Any alarm signal is usually set to be normally open (permanently switch without alarm). so the contact is kept closed, and opens in an alarm state. that's the safest way to do it because if your cable gets damaged, the alarm will be triggered too, making you aware something is not normal (no alarm raised ? then must be a cable fault).
An alarm circuit that is normally closed (permanently switch on alarm) is less safe, because if your wiring is broken, no potential alarm can be sent and you won't know it.

Depending on what you try to control, some will take only NO or NC alarm contacts and some will be able to take either of these
Yes that practice is called "Fail Safe" In my day job we have to interface to building fire alarm systems. Sometimes it's dry contact and sometimes it's 24VDC. We always use contact closed or 24VDC present for NOT Alarm and contact open or no 24VDC for Alarm. This ensures that if the control interface fails (wire broken, wire disconnected, 24VDC power supply fails, etc) that the failure results in Alarm. This prevents a latent failure from not being detected. Fail Safe is required for Life Safety control logic,

The name of the third button still confuses me. The output has to change state based on the Alarm condition or some other parameter. I think you are right that if the last 2 buttons are selected, the output still changes state based on the Alarm condition. I just need to connect an Alarm cable to my High Flow Next and put a meter on it to be sure. I have the cable but have not gotten around to doing it yet. When I do, I will post my findings in case anyone else cares.