• 27.04.2024, 23:11
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Ambient Sensor Placement

Mittwoch, 13. Dezember 2023, 18:40

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (13. Dezember 2023, 22:07)

Remayz

Mittwoch, 13. Dezember 2023, 19:37

I had the same problem when trying to relocate my hanging sensor in the case, on a push intake fan. the ambient was varying too much and the fan speed as a consequence was always too low, letting the coolant heat up more than it should (temp climbs fast, delta climbs slow because "ambient" rises too).
I quickly pulled it out again to hang outside the case and now it's more silent and cool again.

Montag, 18. Dezember 2023, 05:08

Thanks for posting this video that shows how important it is to keep ambient temperature sensors away from radiators. I am surprised the radiator had that much influence on the ambient temp senor, especially since the fans are not pushing hot air in that direction.

I am curious about the flow meter and the fittings that screw into it. IIRC from another post, that is a Blue-White F-400 series. I am considering buying one of these and have been reviewing their documentation. I think the model I want is the F-40_376_LN-4. F-400 Model Niumber Matrix.jpg
F = Flow Meter
40 = F-400 Acrylic Body
376 = 0.2 - 2.0 GPM (or ~1.0 - ~7.5 LPM)
LN = 316 Stainless Steel Rod
4 = 0.250" Female NPT, Polypropylene
Blank = Viton O-Rings

I am curious about which fitting option you have and what adapter fittings you are using to get to BSPP 0.25”. The spec sheet lists 3 options – 0.250”, 0.375”, and 0.500” Female NPT. Standard water cooling fittings are BSPP 0.25” with non-tapered threads. I found THIS brass adapter that is NPT 0.25” Male to BSPP 0.25” Female. If I got the flow meter with 0.250” NPT female threads, this fitting NPT 0.25” Male end would screw into the top and bottom of the flow meter and a standard BSPP 0.25” male fitting would screw into the BSPP 0.25” Female end. I also found THIS nickel-plated brass fitting that is also NTP 0.25” Male to BSPP 0.25” Female but it says it’s for hydraulic hose and I am not sure if the threads per inch are correct. It says the BSPP Male threads are 18 per inch but I think standard water cooling fittings have 19 threads per inch. Can you share what fittings you used with the flow meter?

Dienstag, 19. Dezember 2023, 16:53

I am curious about the flow meter and the fittings that screw into it. IIRC from another post, that is a Blue-White F-400 series. I am considering buying one of these and have been reviewing their documentation. I think the model I want is the F-40_376_LN-4. [attach]10577[/attach]
F = Flow Meter
40 = F-400 Acrylic Body
376 = 0.2 - 2.0 GPM (or ~1.0 - ~7.5 LPM)
LN = 316 Stainless Steel Rod
4 = 0.250" Female NPT, Polypropylene
Blank = Viton O-Rings
That is correct, except I don't think every combination is an available option
The unit you specified does not appear to be available with the 1/4" F/NPT end connectors, either 3/8" or 1/2" are listed
I went with model F-40376LN-6 (3/8" F/NPT) (f400.jpg)

Zitat

I am curious about which fitting option you have and what adapter fittings you are using to get to BSPP 0.25”. The spec sheet lists 3 options – 0.250”, 0.375”, and 0.500” Female NPT. Standard water cooling fittings are BSPP 0.25” with non-tapered threads. I found THIS brass adapter that is NPT 0.25” Male to BSPP 0.25” Female. If I got the flow meter with 0.250” NPT female threads, this fitting NPT 0.25” Male end would screw into the top and bottom of the flow meter and a standard BSPP 0.25” male fitting would screw into the BSPP 0.25” Female end. I also found THIS nickel-plated brass fitting that is also NTP 0.25” Male to BSPP 0.25” Female but it says it’s for hydraulic hose and I am not sure if the threads per inch are correct. It says the BSPP Male threads are 18 per inch but I think standard water cooling fittings have 19 threads per inch. Can you share what fittings you used with the flow meter?
I have a 3/8" BSPP bottom tap that I have used in the past, but I did not tap the NPT end connector this time
I used a Bitspower 3/8 to 1/4 adapter, and since the thread depths is only 5mm, it seated the o-ring just fine before any binding presented it self (fitting.jpg)

Edit: Not sure where in the world you do your shopping, but the cheapest I found is FRESH WATER SYSTEMS

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (19. Dezember 2023, 17:02)

Dienstag, 19. Dezember 2023, 18:36

That is correct, except I don't think every combination is an available option
The unit you specified does not appear to be available with the 1/4" F/NPT end connectors, either 3/8" or 1/2" are listed
I went with model F-40376LN-6 (3/8" F/NPT) ([attach]10581[/attach])

Edit: Not sure where in the world you do your shopping, but the cheapest I found is FRESH WATER SYSTEMS
Thank you for this information. I am in the southeast US and also found Fresh Water Systems in a Google search. They do list the -4 version with 0.250” Female NPT LINK. It is out of stock but says More Expected Soon. It costs ~$11 more than the -6 version with 0.375” Female NPT for some reason. I also found it HERE but the -6 and -8 versions seem to be much more common. I wonder if the 0.250” Female NPT fittings obstruct flow rate more than the 0.375” or 0.500” fittings.

Zitat

I used a Bitspower 3/8 to 1/4 adapter, and since the thread depths is only 5mm, it seated the o-ring just fine before any binding presented it self ([attach]10582[/attach])]
Thanks for the tip about the Bitspower BP-BSWP-C23. May I ask where you bought them? I checked ModMyMods, Performance PCs, Titan Rig, and Frozen CPU for the this fitting. No luck other than Performance PCs, where it does come up in a search but when I click on the item, the product page is not found. I need to make a final decision on which model to get, then I can worry about finding proper adapter fittings. I have found NPT to BSPP adapters but so far they are always the same size on both ends, so if I use an NPT Male to BSPP 0.250" Female, I will have to get the -4 version of the flow meter. I would prefer a nickel-plated brass adapter and wonder if THIS hydraulic hose fitting with 18 threads per inch will work. AFAIK, standard water cooling fittings have 19 threads per inch. I will search McMaster-Carr and Grainger some more. Generally, I find it oddly amusing that we water cooling enthusiasts have to become precision plumbers. :D

Dienstag, 19. Dezember 2023, 22:53

Thank you for this information. I am in the southeast US and also found Fresh Water Systems in a Google search. They do list the -4 version with 0.250” Female NPT LINK. It is out of stock but says More Expected Soon. It costs ~$11 more than the -6 version with 0.375” Female NPT for some reason.
I believe the flow rate is different for the one you linked (0.025 - 0.25 GPM / 0.1 – 1.0 LPM)

Zitat

I also found it HERE but the -6 and -8 versions seem to be much more common. I wonder if the 0.250” Female NPT fittings obstruct flow rate more than the 0.375” or 0.500” fittings.
It appears there are standard, in-stock units and custom built options. Had I been aware of the 1/4" version (F-40376LN-4) I would have purchased it. Though it is about $15 more at PVC Pipes & Supplies, the difference will almost be made up by not needing adapter fittings... plus less fittings is more.

Zitat

Thanks for the tip about the Bitspower BP-BSWP-C23. May I ask where you bought them? I checked ModMyMods, Performance PCs, Titan Rig, and Frozen CPU for the this fitting. No luck other than Performance PCs, where it does come up in a search but when I click on the item, the product page is not found. I need to make a final decision on which model to get, then I can worry about finding proper adapter fittings. I have found NPT to BSPP adapters but so far they are always the same size on both ends, so if I use an NPT Male to BSPP 0.250" Female, I will have to get the -4 version of the flow meter. I would prefer a nickel-plated brass adapter and wonder if THIS hydraulic hose fitting with 18 threads per inch will work. AFAIK, standard water cooling fittings have 19 threads per inch. I will search McMaster-Carr and Grainger some more. Generally, I find it oddly amusing that we water cooling enthusiasts have to become precision plumbers. :D
Performance PCs has the fittings in in BLACK, RED, SILVER, WHITE & probably Black Sparkle (Email sales).

Personally, I would get the F-40376LN-4 unit at PVC Pipe Supplies and not worry about adapters.
You can place the rotameter in a test loop with Bitspower fittings and see if it holds pressure.

I am contemplating getting one myself to play with 8)

Mittwoch, 20. Dezember 2023, 00:55

I believe the flow rate is different for the one you linked (0.025 - 0.25 GPM / 0.1 – 1.0 LPM)
Oops you are right. Thanks for catching that.

Zitat

It appears there are standard, in-stock units and custom built options. Had I been aware of the 1/4" version (F-40376LN-4) I would have purchased it. Though it is about $15 more at PVC Pipes & Supplies, the difference will almost be made up by not needing adapter fittings... plus less fittings is more.
All of the options are Female NPT so I think an adapter fitting is required regardless of which size the NPT fittings are. You have to convert from NPT to BSPP. Are you suggesting that a standard BSPP 0.250" Male fitting may thread far enough into the 0.250" Female NPT fitting for the O-Ring to seal?

Zitat

Performance PCs has the fittings in in BLACK, RED, SILVER, WHITE & probably Black Sparkle (Email sales).
Thank you for linking these. The part numbers are different than the part number at the Bitspower link you provided earlier. I see now that the 2 characters to the right of the dash denote the color/finish.

Zitat

Personally, I would get the F-40376LN-4 unit at PVC Pipe Supplies and not worry about adapters.
You can place the rotameter in a test loop with Bitspower fittings and see if it holds pressure.
So the Bitspower adapter fittings ARE required. Yes this is probably what I will do. I will probably end up ordering $100 worth of stuff from PPCs because the shipping cost is probably more than the fittings. I usually wait until I have a shopping list long enough to justify the shipping cost before ordering online. I hate paying for shipping. I found the red and white ones on Amazon Japan with free international shipping but they were $23 each. :cursing:

Zitat

I am contemplating getting one myself to play with 8)
Of course that makes sense because 2 flow meters is more fun than 1 flow meter. :rolleyes: You could also determine if the smaller inlet and outlet fittings reduce the flow rate. Curious – have you compared the flow rate reported by the Blue-White with a High Flow series flow sensor?
Many thanks for all of your help.

Mittwoch, 20. Dezember 2023, 05:05

All of the options are Female NPT so I think an adapter fitting is required regardless of which size the NPT fittings are. You have to convert from NPT to BSPP. Are you suggesting that a standard BSPP 0.250" Male fitting may thread far enough into the 0.250" Female NPT fitting for the O-Ring to seal?
That is what I did with the Blue-White rotameter I have, Bitspower 3/8" BSPP male directly into the 3/8" NPT female end fitting on the rotameter

Zitat

So the Bitspower adapter fittings ARE required.
If you go with 3/8" end connectors on the rotameter, then yes, you will need the 3/8" to 1/4" adapter
If you go with 1/4" end connectors on the rotameter, you should not need adapters

Zitat

You could also determine if the smaller inlet and outlet fittings reduce the flow rate
If it were just the rotameter, perhaps the end connector size could influence flow, but with a full loop, I do not believe it has a noticeable impact. The water blocks will be your primary impedance.

Zitat

Curious – have you compared the flow rate reported by the Blue-White with a High Flow series flow sensor?
You decide (LPM to the right on the rotameter):

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (20. Dezember 2023, 05:22)

Mittwoch, 20. Dezember 2023, 18:20

That is what I did with the Blue-White rotameter I have, Bitspower 3/8" BSPP male directly into the 3/8" NPT female end fitting on the rotameter.
If you go with 3/8" end connectors on the rotameter, then yes, you will need the 3/8" to 1/4" adapter
If you go with 1/4" end connectors on the rotameter, you should not need adapters
Now I get it – thanks.

Zitat

If it were just the rotameter, perhaps the end connector size could influence flow, but with a full loop, I do not believe it has a noticeable impact. The water blocks will be your primary impedance.
This makes sense.

Zitat

You decide (LPM to the right on the rotameter
Looks pretty close to me, with the Blue-White showing a slighting higher value.
Thanks again for helping me with this.

Mittwoch, 27. Dezember 2023, 19:21

Got the Blue-White F400 with the 1/4 NPT ends.
The threaded female ends on the flow meter are slightly beveled at the top of the thread, causing the o-rings to on the G-1/4 fittings to not seat properly.
The standard o-ring supplied with Bitspower fittings look to be 1,5mm thick, so I tried 2,5mm thick o-rings I had laying around, and that seemed to work.
It is an option if the overall height of the flow meter with the adapter fittings is too tall.

2.5mm o-rings: oring1.JPG
Fitting with 2.5mm o-ring: oring2.JPG

Mittwoch, 27. Dezember 2023, 20:39

Thanks for the update, and good to know info about getting a seal with 2.5mm O-Rings. Are those O-Rings made from Buna-N (Nitrile)? Blue-White has options for Viton and EP O-Rings. I am not sure what EP stands for - maybe EPDM? The sticker on the bag in your photo says 11.50 * 2.50. Does that mean the O-Ring is 11.5mm in diameter and the thickness is 2.5mm?

Mittwoch, 27. Dezember 2023, 21:05

Having seen the the bag, you know everything about those o-rings I know, and have not been concerned about the material, as the coolant is not all that corrosive.

Yes, 11.5mm ID & 2.5mm thickness.

EP may be something like Ethylene Propylene or Ethylene Polypropylene.

Donnerstag, 28. Dezember 2023, 00:11

Having seen the the bag, you know everything about those o-rings I know, and have not been concerned about the material, as the coolant is not all that corrosive.

Yes, 11.5mm ID & 2.5mm thickness.

EP may be something like Ethylene Propylene or Ethylene Polypropylene.
Yes I suspect the material the O-Rings are made of is not very critical in this application.