• 27.04.2024, 17:19
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Aquaero troubleshooting: connect all devices to same cable

Dienstag, 19. März 2024, 14:26

I'm wondering how likely communication errors could be between aquabus devices and an Aquaero 6 when they're not connected to the same PSU cable (the Aquaero manual refers to this in the troubleshooting section). I'm planning on using multiple cables from my PSU for some of my AquaComputer devices but I also want to avoid communication errors.

I plan to have a couple AquaComputer devices in my main PC tower for fan control and some monitoring/lighting as well as an entirely separate enclosure with more AquaComputer devices specifically for water cooling infrastructure supporting a MO-RA3 (Aquaero 6 PRO, 2x D5 Next, High Flow Next, Farbwerk 360, etc.). I intend to provide power to the separate enclosure with 2 custom-made PSU cables (1 for SATA, 1 for Molex) about 1m long. USB connections will be provided using a Hubby7 in the enclosure with an internal/external USB adapter and connected to an external USB port on the PC.

Do I really need to be concerned with the communication errors if I go this route, or is that an edge case that hardly ever happens? I'm planning on a SeaSonic Prime TX ATX 3.0 PSU (1300W or 1600W).

Any thoughts would be welcome.

================

This is why I'm asking:

There are a couple troubleshooting actions in the Aquaero manual that say to "Connect all aquabus devices to the same power cable of the PSU":
  • 28.7 Expansion board connected to aquabus is not discovered (Communication error due to signal levels differences)
  • 28.8 Recurring aquabus communication errors detected (Communication error due to signal levels differences)
The Aquaero manual refers to a "Reduce bus speed to prevent communication problems" within the aquabus configuration of the Aquaero troubleshooting action as a way to address electrical interference. Could that also resolve these communication issues?

Samstag, 6. April 2024, 21:03

I have a molex cable to power the AQ6 and sata to power the 2 pumps (i.e. different power cables) and 4 devices connected via USB and have had no issues that you speak of. The 2 pumps, Octo and Highflow 2s (2x) are connected to the AQ6. I interpret the AQ manual as referring to the "main PSU power cable" because each aquabus device use different power connections (i.e. molex or sata) so there is no way you can connect aquabus devices with different connection requirements on the same power cable because there are no such power cables that combine sata and molex on the same cable, at least that I know of. Hell, if there is such cable, you don't need to worry about it and just make your typical connections and you should be good. Don't over think it.

Just a note. I tried the USB hubby to only have 1 connection to MB for clean out of sight look but was having connection recognition issues so just connected each item individually to MB USB. These motherboards have so many USB connections these days and for me the hubby was not needed.

What did you do?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 8 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Methodical« (6. April 2024, 21:34)

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Samstag, 6. April 2024, 21:40

I have a molex cable to power the AQ6 and sata to power the 2 pumps (i.e. different power cables) and 4 devices connected via USB and have had no issues that you speak of. The 2 pumps and Octo are connected to the AQ6 along with Highflow 2s (2x). I interpret the AQ manual as referring to "the main PSU power cable" because each aquabus device use different power connections (i.e. molex or sata) so there is no way you can connect aquabus devices with different connection requirements on the same cable because there no such cables, at least that I know of.

Just a note. I tried the USB hubby to only have 1 connection to MB for clean out of sight look but was having connection recognition issues so just connected each item individually to MB USB. These motherboards have so many USB connections these days and for me the hubby was not needed.

What did you decide to do?

Thanks. That's exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get.

Based on your experience though, I think I'm going to have to play it by ear regarding the USB connections. May I ask what MB you're using? I'm in the earliest planning stages of this build, and still haven't even decided on a MB, although I'm pretty certain I'll be going with the top Zen5 APU, once it comes out - hopefully later this year. Based on the features of the X670E MB's, If I were using a Zen4 I would probably be going with an MSI. I read an article speculating that Zen5 might even be using a newer AM5 chipset, so I'll just have to wait and see.

Given all the MB USB headers and various USB adapters and multiplexers, there will be lots of combinations to try. My biggest challenge is that the majority (possibly all) of the AC USB devices will be located in an entirely separate chassis from the MB, so some form of "extension" is going to be required. I'll just have to experiment, I guess.

Sonntag, 7. April 2024, 04:27

These motherboards have so many USB connections these days and for me the hubby was not needed.
Thanks to current chipsets, motherboards do tend to have a lot of USB ports these days, but mostly some combination of USB3.0, 3.2 Gen-1, Gen-2, Gen 2x2, USB-C, maybe USB4, and a few USB2.0 Type A ports. Most boards I know of have at most 2 USB2.0 headers (4 ports). That runs out fast with a lot of Aquacomputer devices. Are they putting more than 2 USB2.0 headers on these days?

My biggest challenge is that the majority (possibly all) of the AC USB devices will be located in an entirely separate chassis from the MB, so some form of "extension" is going to be required. I'll just have to experiment, I guess.
Aquacomputer sells USB cables that are 200cm long (78.7”) so you should be able to go at least that far. In my work, we use USB over CAT cable extenders, usually Icrons like THIS ONE. They also have 2 and 4 port versions. These are expensive but Amazon has some for much less. You can also get USB2.0 extension cables with an active signal booster in the line. I don't know how reliable they are. They also have active USB fiber-optic cables. My guess is the amount of data Aquasuite is pushing over USB is not using a huge amount of bandwidth.

Montag, 22. April 2024, 04:28

Thanks. That's exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get.

Based on your experience though, I think I'm going to have to play it by ear regarding the USB connections. May I ask what MB you're using? I'm in the earliest planning stages of this build, and still haven't even decided on a MB, although I'm pretty certain I'll be going with the top Zen5 APU, once it comes out - hopefully later this year. Based on the features of the X670E MB's, If I were using a Zen4 I would probably be going with an MSI. I read an article speculating that Zen5 might even be using a newer AM5 chipset, so I'll just have to wait and see.

Given all the MB USB headers and various USB adapters and multiplexers, there will be lots of combinations to try. My biggest challenge is that the majority (possibly all) of the AC USB devices will be located in an entirely separate chassis from the MB, so some form of "extension" is going to be required. I'll just have to experiment, I guess.
Sorry for the late reply. I have not been around in some time. I use the Asus X670E and B650E MBs. They both have 4x standard USB2.0 connections.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"