• 27.04.2024, 14:43
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

PWM sv DC

Montag, 25. März 2024, 01:58

Hi Guys,
I could use someones expertise in fans connection via DC controlled via voltage vs PWM.

When I first started water-cooling, probably 12-15 years ago I have built substantially large system. All of my fans, pumps where controlled by aquaero 6XT and additional Poweradjust 3. I started and end up using only 3pin cables via DC (power control) and I'm still using then till today. Now years later I have switched to air-cooling but still using aquaero 6XT to control all of my fans and I'm still using most of the same cables just adjusted the length.

My system fans are all Noctua NF-A12x25 ( 2x cpu, 2x front intake (Y-split cable) , 2x bottom intake (y-split cable) 1x back, 1x top exhaust) all are set to run via voltage to run at min. speed (43%) for maximum silence and rum pup according to my custom curve.

I have been thinking for a while now to switch all of the cables to 4 pin which I have never used before. I've heard with PWM you can set precised fan speeds, even lower RPM then via voltage, but that is why I'm asking if its worth for me to bother messing up my setup. Are there any true benefits and whats the possible drawbacks.
Thanks

Montag, 25. März 2024, 07:17

I don't think you necessarily need to replace the cables.
The only disadvantages I am aware of are

1. increased heating of the fan controller when the voltage is turned down

2. older PWM fans tended to produce noise with DC control

Beyond that I can't think of anything and if you don't have any problems there is no reason to change anything.
It doesn't bother the fans.
Whether you get a lower speed with PWM depends very much on the fan, my two Noctua NF-A12x25 are unfortunately connected to the D5 NEXT and it can only do PWM, I get them to a minimum speed of 233 rpm
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931), amerik. Erfinder

Montag, 25. März 2024, 21:10

From the sound of it Its not worth the hustle. I have been running aquaero 6xt with aquasuite and all 3pin cables from the beginning and never failed. My goes is to archive as quiet PC as possible and I think its already silent. Sometimes trying to making things "better" doesn't always go that way and when it backfires, you wish you wouldn't touche it and I think I will do just that.
Btw. I just lowered % of my Nocta's fans from 42% to 39%, it makes a quite a bit difference in silence, yet still spinning and giving nice airflow :)

Thank you
»Dundys« hat folgendes Bild angehängt:
  • Untitled.png

Samstag, 6. April 2024, 20:47

Question. Can you create a fan curve using DC voltage or is it just set and forget?
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Sonntag, 7. April 2024, 15:46

Question. Can you create a fan curve using DC voltage or is it just set and forget?
Yes you can, that is how I have been running since I can remember.