• 16.04.2024, 18:52
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Flowmeter for aquaero in 'high flow' setup

Dienstag, 19. August 2008, 02:36

I am planning on buying an aquaero for my new 'high flow' watercooling setup.
The pump would be a laing DDC1+ controlled by AC poweradjust USB.
The waterblocks would be D-Tek Fuzion v2 for CPU and D-Tek Fuzion GFX 2 for GPU.
Tubing would be Tygon 3/8 ID.

The aquacomuter sofware looks very cool. With the aquaero and poweradjust combined you can monitor and control everything.

Seems ideal... if not for one major problem. Measuring the flow with the aquaero.

The AC flowmeter (aka Digmesa FHKC G1/4“) is only suitable for low flow systems (like less than 2l/min). At higher flow rates it introduces a huge pressure drop and makes lots of noise. (http://www.effizienzgurus.de/main/in...article_id=141)

As an alternative I could buy the GMR AFS1-T (electronic) Flow Meter. This is a very decent flow meter with very low restriction. (http://www.effizienzgurus.de/main/in...article_id=144)

But as you may already know there are more problems...
The aqaero doesn't count the pulses generated by the flowmeter, but measures the time in between two pulses. This gives high accuracy for low flow rates, but also low accuracy for high flow rates as the time between two pulses becomes too short to measure. The aqaero can measure up to 2500pulses/min. Both flow meters above (Digmesa FHKC G1/4“ and GMR AFS1-T) generate about 500 pulses/liter. This results in a maximum measureable flowrate of 5 liter/min. Any higher flowrate would be unmeasurable by the aqaero using one of these two meters. Another option would be the Digmesa FHKUC 70, but I don't like the plastic fittings and I even don't know where to buy it (the previous two meters on the other hand are widely available). Innovatec flow meters are unsuitable because they are also very restrictive and don't fit on 3/8" tubing).

As I am quite sure my setup will result in a flow rate higher than 5liter/min I am left with a problem... I realy like the GMR AFS1-T but with it I cannot monitor and control the flow rate with the aqaero an can only connect the flow meter to a fan header on my mobo and read out the RPM to convert that to flow rate.

Possible sollution? The only thing I can think of would be to divide the pulse rate with an electronic circuit. Dividing the pulse rate by two would be enough. But what would be the easyest way to do this? I think the flow meter RPM signal will be the same as a fan RPM signal. In this case the RPM signal wire should be connected to a collector of a transistor inside the flow meter (open collector). To use this signal you should connect it to the ground thru a resistor. Thats all I know for know...

Any help would be highly appreciated (and could be usefull for many of us).

Greetz,
Stijn

maN1C

Re: Flowmeter for aquaero in 'high flow' setup

Dienstag, 19. August 2008, 05:34

Why do you want that high a flow?

It has virtually no impact on your temeratures. In fact I have seen tests that show flow as low as 60l/hour perform just as well as 200 l/hour, with whats concidered to be both high and low flow waterblocks. CPU delta increased by just 0,1 Kelvin in one of the tests.

High flow rates just increases pressure in the loop, creating more risk of leaks.

Dropping water temerature has much more of an impact on temperatures in your hardware.

Re: Flowmeter for aquaero in 'high flow' setup

Mittwoch, 20. August 2008, 01:40

Pressure is going to be there no matter what if you use a powerfull pump. If you use high restriction waterblocks it will result in a lower flow, but the pressure is still going to be there (highest pressure in the beginning of the loop and the pressure will drop after each waterblock). I could just lower the pump speed using the poweradjust USB to lower flow rate. (and pressure at the same time)

The flow rate you want strongly depends on the waterblocks you choose.

http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/MartinsF…eEstimator.html
As the article shows: With the Fuzion v2 waterblock and 200W load and PA120.3 rad: 0,5GPM = 50,2°C / 1GPM = 48,1°C / 1,5GPM = 47,3°C / 2GPM = 46,9°C

you can see that flow rate does make a difference for this waterblock. (BTW 1GPM = 3,8 l/m = 228 l/m)

I am using a single loop so as I add waterblocks the flow rate will drop automaticly. But if flow rates are to low, I thing I will have to choose other water blocks blocks.