• 23.05.2024, 22:16
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Chipset block on Asus A8N-SLI

Dienstag, 18. Januar 2005, 23:45

Just a FYI for anyone ordering one (and for AC!).
The block should fit fine, without affecting either pcie slot (at least with 2 inno3d 6800GTs anyway!), but one of the fixing loops needs to be cut in half - cut flush with the edge of the block, because a capacitor is in the way. Am going to fit mine tomorrow, and i am hopeful that the block will still be held securely by both clips!

See here: http://www.pcperspective.com/images/revi…ard_chipset.jpg

Re: Chipset block on Asus A8N-SLI

Mittwoch, 19. Januar 2005, 00:37

LOL!

This is scary i was just about to ask this question as mine is on its way......

ill post a pic when done

Beun

Mittwoch, 19. Januar 2005, 19:54

Hopefully AC finds a standard solution for this popular mobo.

Donnerstag, 20. Januar 2005, 01:53

ive got an asus pcdl does anyone know which northbridge is used for this ? i think its the P4-Chipsatz" Typ 3 can anyone varify this ?

shonuff

Sonntag, 23. Januar 2005, 05:20

Stu and Nitrix please make sure you post pics if you find a way to mount the nb block on the A8N. I am sure I am one of many who would like to see this done successfully.

Sonntag, 23. Januar 2005, 10:14

I mounted the Twinplex on the A8N-SLI using the Graphics mounting plate. It fits well but the Twinplex has to be rotated a little bit. It's really clos now to the second PCI-Express port but it is still in between both ports and SLI will work.

Here's a picture:

Sonntag, 23. Januar 2005, 12:20

well, i can´t see the picture but that doesn´t matter.
but i´ve got a question:
how did you get the iroginal cooler off the board? i´ve got an a8v-e, and the cooler looks the same but i couldn´t get it off!
do you have an advice for me`?

Sonntag, 23. Januar 2005, 21:58

ive done a bit of a bodge job,

basicly its on as normal sitting about 1mm above the capacitor with a bit of anti static bag in between.....

shonuff

Sonntag, 23. Januar 2005, 23:57

Zitat von »Nitrix«

basicly its on as normal sitting about 1mm above the capacitor with a bit of anti static bag in between.....

Nitrix where are the pics M8?  :)

CyberD thanks for the tip. That is a great idea!

Montag, 24. Januar 2005, 20:44

Ive got no means to take pics at the moment, but i have literally cut off the chipset block bracket level with the edge of the waterblock. Its still a little close to the capacitor, so ive put some insulation tape between them - i cant be bothered to remove it again and do yet more dremmelling! The block is still held VERY securely.

Montag, 24. Januar 2005, 20:46

Atomfrede - the standard heatsink is held on with two expanding pins - push the pins down from the face of the motherboard and use some pliers on the bottom to squeeze them together. If you are impatient you can use the wirecutter bit of the pliers to just snip the bottom off the pins! ;)

Montag, 24. Januar 2005, 21:58

i did that, but the heatsink didn´ fell off.
but i got it. i used some "coldspray"(don´t if you know what i mean) and i was able to move the heatsink!

shonuff

Montag, 21. Februar 2005, 20:18

Wanted to post some pics for those who have this board and wanted to use the Twinplex Pro on the A8N-SLI chipset.

In the pic below you will see that the modded clip is "very"
close to the cap, but it is NOT touching it. 8)

Montag, 21. Februar 2005, 20:59

hey man. looks nice.

but the connectors of your twinplex look like they are turned by 90°. so the water does not run through the complete water block...

am i looking wrong or is it really like this ?

greets

shonuff

Dienstag, 22. Februar 2005, 06:55

Zitat von »Rage«

hey man. looks nice.

but the connectors of your twinplex look like they are turned by 90°. so the water does not run through the complete water block...

am i looking wrong or is it really like this ?

greets

Good lookin' out! I wonder how long it would have taken me to discover the mistake.

Fixed now! :D

Firehed

unregistriert

Dienstag, 22. Februar 2005, 07:12

Zitat von »Nitrix«

I did that and it fried my chipset - there was no clearance and it was only on part of the way. I then switched to the tilted ATI chipset method... just to warn you.

That or I killed my GPU chipset not knowing it but as there was a 60c temp drop I doubt it. They could have changed the interfering capacitors to be shorter ones since my RMAd the board though.

shonuff

Mittwoch, 23. Februar 2005, 05:51

Someone PM'd me and I deleted it by accident. I need to learn what the German word for "delete" is. :-[

I hope this answers your questions.

Mounting the block was pretty easy. I just hand tightened the plastic screws until I got it pretty snug. I then used a small screwdriver and finished the job. The bracket is pretty strong and did not bend. The block is very snug. It will wiggle a little if you try.

Sonntag, 27. Februar 2005, 21:26

Hmmm....perhaps this may be considered tacky considering this IS an AC forum, but the Koolance GPU-180-x06 unit works like a charm on this board. I have had both the vertical and horizontal versions on and there are no clearance problems. See http://home.earthlink.net/~topnurse/id3.html for an example. The way the attachemnt mechanism works allows for about a 5mm clearance in all directions. And no clearance problems in SLI mode as well.