Mittwoch, 4. Mai 2005, 23:44

Greetings...

Anyone put a TEC on a XT or a Twinplex?

Re: TEC modified A-C coolers?

Donnerstag, 5. Mai 2005, 14:42

What means TEC?

Donnerstag, 5. Mai 2005, 21:31

a Thermo-Electric Cooler. aka Peltier Cooler, has a 'hot' side and a 'cool' side, you apply voltage across it, and it makes the 'cool' side cooler, and the 'hot' side hotter.

so the cool side goes on the cpu, which gets actively cooled by the TEC.

and the hot side goes onto a heatsink (or water block), and transmits its heat to the air (or water).

if your heatsink (or water cooling system) can shift the heat quick enough, you get a very cool cpu 8).

here endeth the lesson :P

Freitag, 6. Mai 2005, 15:22

Thanx. I only knew the word Peltier for this.

Bad english? :D

Freitag, 6. Mai 2005, 22:14

Zitat von »Hummerman«

Thanx. I only knew the word Peltier for this.

Bad english? :D

Nope. :) Just that TEC has become so widespread that I thought everyone knew what it is. Forgot that when posting to a foreign site that these kinds of abbreviations are not so obvious as your's might be AQU. ;) ;)

However, what I'm thinking of is to mount a peltier on to the bottom of a Twinplex x 2 for a SLI rig I'm building. These Asus 6600 GT cards run quite hot...even hotter than the CPU's :o So me thinks that a peltier equipped A-C solution sounds fun and dooable. Just wanted to know what others had done before?

Freitag, 6. Mai 2005, 22:28

if you could get hold of longer plastic bolts (or risk using metal ones with plastic washers) i wouldn't have thought there'd be a problem. the only one i can think of would be, that the tec would need to have a means for locating it onto the cpu, so that it didn't slide about! ;D. you could make your own plate for it that had holes in the same place as the twinplex and put the longer bolts thru both.

Samstag, 7. Mai 2005, 03:09

Actually I have been thinking of milling in a pocket to hold the peltier in place on the bottom of the Twinplex. After I get them I will see how much room I got.

Samstag, 7. Mai 2005, 15:37

genius! 8) (didn't think of that!) plus it'll give you better cooling, unless you mill too much away, in which case, you'll get wetter graphics cards! ;D

Sonntag, 8. Mai 2005, 09:15

Most of the time it pays to think out of the box ;) I figure it won't need much in the way of milling really as it only has to provide a ledge to locate on and not slide out. If it works well I will also try the same thing on my XT. The Twinplexs will be here next week so I figure a week or two for my friend to do a G-Job for me. I'm not too concerned about the abilty of the Twinplex's to move TEC heat, but I'm not sure if the XT will be able to move that much heat or not.

Sonntag, 8. Mai 2005, 12:39

the thing with the xt is that it's designed to be more effective at cooling the centre of a cpu, where it's hottest. i think the tec would give a more evenly spread heat on it's hot side, so you may find that it's doesn't remove enough heat round the edges, which would result in slightly higher temps on the cold side.

of course this is just speculation (edit: or bullsh*t  :D) so unless someone else has done this before, it's up to you to find out!  8)

"go where no man has gone before" and all that....