• 16.04.2024, 15:11
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Jag

Aquaero compatible with Dallas Maxim DOW sensors?

Sonntag, 12. Juni 2005, 05:40

Hi,

1 - I need to know if i can connect the Dallas Maxim DOW sensors DS1822, or the DS18B20, and how many headers the Aquaero has for this?
2 - How do we use the table correction factors for fine-adjusting the sensors made?
3 - If we want to measure the temps. is the Aquasuite the better option, considering it's still in beta? Is a log created?
What do you sugest?

Re: Aquaero compatible with Dallas Maxim DOW senso

Sonntag, 12. Juni 2005, 15:28

1.) I don't know these sensors. The Aquaero has six 2-pin connectors for temperature-sensors.

2.) You can adjust this directly via Aquaero or Aquasuite.

3.) The Aquasuites logs everything to a database which is MS Access compatible. And what do you mean with "better option"? - It's currently your only option ;)

Jag

Sonntag, 12. Juni 2005, 15:55

Shoggy,

These sensors are the ones that Crystalfontz uses on their usb LCD's, and the manufacturer is Dallas Maxim, so i thought that they would work also with the Aquero, hence my question.
The sensor in question DS18B20 boasts 0.5 degree C absolute accuracy and 0.0625 degree C resolution.
Here's a pic:

-- >About the Aquasuite i asked if there exists a better option because it is in beta fase - not rock solid - (if ever any software will be).

-- >Still you haven´t answered how do we use the table correction factor, or if the aquero is prepared to handle the resoluion of the sensors showed above.

By the way, is the Tubemeter USB available for sale yet, or if not when?
I saw it being announced, but your on-line shop doesn't carry this item.

A reply would be mostly appreciated.

Sonntag, 12. Juni 2005, 16:01

It's not availabe. Should be available in the course of this month.

edit: that sensor from the picture has three pins ???

Sonntag, 12. Juni 2005, 16:01

1) No, you cannot use them. The DS1822 is a serial-linked sensor and the aquaero just needs normal 10kO-NTCs ;). But why do you wnat to use them? On the maxim page they said +-2°, so it's as good as the "normal" Ae-Sensors.
The other features like logging and temp-alarm are "integrated" in the Ae, so all in all you will have the same features with the Ae :-/.

2) you can change the sensor-offset in the software and in the Ae itself, but normally you won't need them ;).

3) The software is beta, but not while it's unstable. The only reason for the beta-state is, that there aren't all features inrtegratet that shoul be (they've 1000s of ideas, an a big oipportunity is, if you have better/more ideas, you can talk to them and if it is a godd idea they will use it :D).
Apart from tgat, as Shoggy said there is no choice. When you buy an Ae, there is a 99%-chance, that you get a aquaero with the new firmware on it (depends on your seller), you cannot change to the old firmware and so you cannot use the old firmware, but believe me: You won't want to change, the new software is the biggest step in the aquaero-developement ;D.
"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."

Jag

Sonntag, 12. Juni 2005, 16:08

X-Stars,

I was planning on using the improved version of the sensor - DS18B20 - the with better resolution and accuracy, not the model DS1822.
Yes, it can be dasychained:

Sonntag, 12. Juni 2005, 16:21

Zitat von »Jag«

X-Stars,

I was planning on using the improved version of the sensor - DS18B20 - the with better resolution and accuracy, not the model DS1822.
Yes, it can be dasychained:

Hm, why is it, that there are 3 new post while I was writing mine ;D.

OK, but there's still the question: Do you need that accuracy? If you need it, you have to use the maxim, but I don't see a way to combine it with the aquaero, because there are only entrances to count impulses (flow sensor) and to measure the voltage (temp-sensor).
Using the I²C-bus is complicatet, because you haven#T got the sources of the Ae-firmware to modify it for your own devices :-/.

Jag

Sonntag, 12. Juni 2005, 21:19

O.k, so this sensor doesn't fit the Aquaero.

Can you tell me what specifications should i be looking for in temperature sensors, so that i can implement a higher accuracy sensor in the Aquaero?
Do you know of any other model compatible with the Aquaero, that has a higher accuracy?

Jag

Montag, 13. Juni 2005, 16:27

Come on guys, please help me out if you can, with this.
For sure you must know something more about this than the rest of us...

Montag, 13. Juni 2005, 16:50

Given that the Aquaero's temperature inputs only have two connections, i would think that it's a standard thermocouple, so you could try searching for one of those, not sure what makes them more accurate tho, i would think that it's the device that they connect to that has to be more accurate, to give a better resolution.

Jag

Montag, 13. Juni 2005, 20:46

Well, one feels kind of lost.
What's the point of having a device like this and then skimp on the parts?
If one is to implement a thermal sensor connection, it better accept some higher accuracy thermocouples, otherwise all the numbers reported are just for fun, i guess. ::) :-/
It just seems a missed opportunity, (good materials, good looks)...

Montag, 13. Juni 2005, 20:58

What's the problem, is it impotant to you to know if the temperature ist 34,2 or 35,1 degree? +-1degree is enough, if you want to have a device to measure temps so exactly you can easily spend a few thousend $ ::).

Montag, 13. Juni 2005, 21:01

I don't think it's the thermocouples that give the better resolution, it's whatever is measuring them that does!

A thermocouple works by giving out a voltage that is directly proportional to the temperature that is applied to it. that voltage is essentially an 'analogue' signal. in order for the aquaero to measure it, it first has to convert the analogue signal to a digital one, so that it can understand it. it is the aquaero that provides the 'resolution' and not the thermocouple itself.

it is down to the quality of the analogue to digital converters in the aquaero as to how fine the resolution is.

i fail to see how a much higher accuracy will help you though. you are just using the temp sensors to automatically adjust the fan speeds, right? if so, the finer accuracy is of no advantage, the temp sensors provided with the aquaero are more than adequate for the job.

Jag

Montag, 13. Juni 2005, 22:17

Hi again people,

Mr_odnaR, the accuracy is/was (in this case) important, not only because of the fan issue, but also for measuring (with as good equipment as my wallet permits) the cpu temperature, and water temperature (was planning to adapt a t-connector and use the thermocouple).
Sort of having a hobbyist measurement rig.Also was tempted to connect a swissflow flowmeter.
Anyway, as i liked the exterior aspect of the Aquaero, overall quality, and the Aquasuite (though in beta) seemed to bring some good functions, i saw a good alternative to some more expensive products.
That's why X-stars, it is important to me to know if the temperature ist 34,2 or 35,1 degree, and if i can take advantage of more precision equipment why not?
Also, part of my previous rant, came from the fact that other mfg's have that option of letting the buyer use a "better" or "worse" sensor.
Hence my comment.

Montag, 13. Juni 2005, 22:41

OK, now I'm understanding ;D. But in this case, the "normal" thermometers aren't enough (and nearly all for the PC designed thermometers use the NTCs with +-1-2 degree). So if you need such an accuracy you will have to spend some more money (professional stuff) or try to find a good method to use the maxim-sensor (but I don't think it's very difficult to use a little IC and connect the maxims, there are lots of projects and people who'd know how to do).

Jag

Montag, 13. Juni 2005, 23:02

Zitat von »x-stars«

...(but I don't think it's very difficult to use a little IC and connect the maxims, there are lots of projects and people who'd know how to do).

Any links you can give me?

Dienstag, 14. Juni 2005, 16:02

Well,
i found this via google (maybe it's an opprotunity.
Another project I heard of is a Atmel-based project comparable to the aquaero, but in this project they also use "normal" NTCs like the Ae does (I lost tzhe link, the firefox ate my favorites >:().

If you want to have a "perfect" project you have to look for an µC-board and asks some pro's to design a little project for you (might be also intertesting for them, so they will probably help you :-/)

Jag

Mittwoch, 15. Juni 2005, 02:05

X-stars,

Thank you for your help and patience. ;)
I'll investigate some more about this issue.