• 25.04.2024, 13:05
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Dual Aquadrives

Mittwoch, 17. August 2005, 22:07

I am considering removing my other other hard drive rack in Feeding Frenzy and putting in a pair of Dual Aqua drives. Can anyone give me the measurements for them?

Also could someone please translate the pertinent info as I copied it from the webshop:

"Das neue aquadrive Dual bietet eine optimale Kühlung und Dämmung für zwei 3,5"-Festplatten. Zur Schalldämmung besitzt das aquadrive ein komplettes Gehäuse aus zwei Millimeter starkem, gebürstetem Edelstahl. Deckel- und Bodenplatte sind mit einer speziellen Schwerschichtmatte beschichtet, durch die Kapselung werden vor allem die hohen Frequenzen des Festplattenmotors absorbiert. Die Seitenteile bestehen aus blau eloxiertem Aluminium. Das komplette aquadrive wird zudem über spezielle Gummipuffer gegenüber dem Gehäuse des Rechners entkoppelt, wodurch vor allem die tieferen Frequenzen sich nicht auf das Gehäuse übertragen. Die Festplatten werden seitlich über die beiden Aluminiumprofile gekühlt, die im Inneren des aquadrives durch ein dynamisch gedichtetes Plexiglasrohr verbunden sind. Um Toleranzen im Bereich der Festplattenbreite entgegenzuwirken, kann das aquadrive Dual um +/- 1mm in der Breite verstellt werden."

"Freigegeben für Festplatten bis 15.000 U/min."

"Das aquadrive Dual wird incl. 4 Gummilager und 4 Kreuzschrauben zur Montage in zwei 5 1/4" Laufwerksschächte geliefert. Die Montage an Chieftec-Schienensystemen ist mit den mitgelieferten Schrauben ebenfalls möglich. Für die Möglichkeiten der Montage an anderen Schienensystemen, fragen Sie bitte unseren Support."

I'm especially interested to know about the 15.000 U/min, something about plexiglas, and the reference about something being +/- 1mm. :)

Re: Dual Aquadrives

Donnerstag, 18. August 2005, 00:20

New aquadrive dual offers an optimal cooling and insulation for two 3,5"-Festplatten. For sound absorption the aquadrive complete housing from two possesses millimeters strong, brushed high-grade steel. Cover and base plate are coated with a special heavy layer mat, by which packaging above all the high frequencies of the non removable disk engine become absorbed. The side parts consist of blue anodized aluminum. The complete aquadrive besides over special rubber buffers opposite the housing of the computer is decoupled, whereby above all the deeper frequencies are not passed to the housing. The non removable disks are cooled laterally over the two aluminum profiles, which are connected by a dynamically sealed plexiglass pipe inside the aquadrives. In order to work against tolerances within the range the non removable disk width, aquadrive dual can be adjusted over +/- 1mm in the width." "approved for non removable disks to 15,000 U/min." "aquadrive dual becomes inclusive. 4 rubber mounts and 4 cross screws for the assembly supplied to two 5 1/4"drive assembly pits. The assembly at Chieftec Schienensystemen is likewise possible with the provided screws. For the possibilities of the assembly at other rail systems, you ask please our support."

stolen from babel fish.....LOL

the 15,000 is the speed of the hard drive m8 :)

Donnerstag, 18. August 2005, 03:06

TN - they are considerably shorter than the originals. I'll try and measure one at the weekend for you, but of the top of my head id say 20-25mm shorter.

Donnerstag, 18. August 2005, 04:34

Zitat von »stu_allen«

TN - they are considerably shorter than the originals. I'll try and measure one at the weekend for you, but of the top of my head id say 20-25mm shorter.

Thanks so much! I just want to make sure it would actually fit before taking out the other HD rack. What is the possibilities of stackin two or three of them on top of each other? Any provisions for attachment or would I have to make my own mounting rack? Pics would also be nice if you can manage it. :-*

Donnerstag, 18. August 2005, 16:42

Each Aquadrive dual takes up 2x 5 1/4 inch drive bays, so providing you have 6x drive bays free, then go ahead!

They are mounted to the hard drives in the usual way, and they are mounted to your case with a threaded bush set in a rubber grommet. the grommet is then pushed into holes on the side of the Aquadrive. There are only 4 of these to hold the weight of 2 hard drives and the aquadrive itself, which i think is a little poor, as the added weight means that the whole unit can touch what ever is below it, but it's down to personal opinion i guess.

The plexiglas bit is what allows the flow of water to pass from one side to the other, and it allows for slight variations in the width of hard drives!

Hope this helps! ;D

Donnerstag, 18. August 2005, 22:51

Hmmm... well I am not going to use any of my 5.25" slots as they are already full in Feeding Frenzy. What I was thinking about was to lay them in the bottom of the case whee the current 3.5" HD racks are. That was why I asked if they were stackable. :)

Donnerstag, 18. August 2005, 22:53

Zitat von »Nitrix«

stolen from babel fish.....LOL

the 15,000 is the speed of the hard drive m8 :)

I think your Babelfish works better than mine. :'( Mine just brings up gibberish. So it appears that this case won't vibrate to hell with my 10,000 RPM Raptors then. ;D

Freitag, 19. August 2005, 00:15

Zitat

That was why I asked if they were stackable.

They are, but only if you make a frame to support them!

The other thin you have to worry about, is width. ie you have to make sure you have room if you put them in sideways. (which is what you're doing i take it?)

Freitag, 19. August 2005, 00:41

Zitat von »Mr_modnaR«

They are, but only if you make a frame to support them!

The other thin you have to worry about, is width. ie you have to make sure you have room if you put them in sideways. (which is what you're doing i take it?)

Yes they are and that is why the length is a critical factor in deciding whether to do it or not. You can see in post #2 of Feeding Frenzy where I would be sticking them after I remove the other HD rack that currently remains in the case.

Freitag, 19. August 2005, 23:21

there not designed to be stacked, but if your good with metal work & are able to get hold of some nice looking ally/steel it would be quite easy to join them. remove the ally plates from the front & make 1 plate to cover both aquadrives drill a few holes for the bolts. its a little bit tricky to do the back tho as there are 2 slots for the connections of your harddrives. but i suppose you could always just use a 1" wide peice of ally with 2 holes either side.

just not sure the best way to secure the whole unit to the case.

Freitag, 19. August 2005, 23:26

what ever way you secure it, make sure it is really secure as a dual aquadrive fully loaded weights a tonne & 2 of them bolted together is gonna do some serious damage if it become loose in ya case.

gl

Samstag, 20. August 2005, 00:27

Thanks for the info ;D Do you perchance know how high they are? I want to stack three of them together so height might be an issue.

Samstag, 20. August 2005, 00:58

a bit akward measuring mine as its installed in my case but the blue side sections look to be 85mm +/- 1mm

Samstag, 20. August 2005, 01:00

They are 2 cd-rom drives high, which is about 84mm or 3.3" high. Ze@lot's idea about taking off the front and rear plates, and making one large one is a good one! there is even room behind the plates to fit lighting of some sort, so aqua-sharks ( ;)) laser cut into the plate, with corresponding yellow/blue LEDs behind them, start appearing in my mind's eye! ;D

Samstag, 20. August 2005, 01:00

damn, too slow

Samstag, 20. August 2005, 01:12

hehe ;D

Dienstag, 6. September 2005, 21:12

Can someone post a pic of the inside and back area of a Dual Aquadrive?

Donnerstag, 8. September 2005, 22:14

Found some pics of what I needed, but now need to find out if the Dual Aquadrive has only one water path from front to back or does the channel cross back and forth? Trying to decide if I would get better cooling with four Aquadrive's or two Dual Aquadrive's?

Donnerstag, 8. September 2005, 23:06

yes it would have only 1 water path straight down the
middle. they must have just drilled straight down into
a solid block of ally. tbh its the reason there is not enough
fixing holes on the side blocks, they would have to go
right in the path of the water flow. :-/

imo they would have been better to have the path of the
water at the top, heat rising and all  ::)

Freitag, 9. September 2005, 04:24

Zitat von »Ze@lot«

yes it would have only 1 water path straight down the
middle. they must have just drilled straight down into
a solid block of ally. tbh its the reason there is not enough
fixing holes on the side blocks, they would have to go
right in the path of the water flow. :-/

imo they would have been better to have the path of the
water at the top, heat rising and all  ::)

Misconception... heat is said to rise generally because it is usually referred to in the sense of a fluid (i.e. air or liquid) when it's properties change.
In a solid... it doesn't matter as heat transfer will occur across temperature differentials