• 01.05.2024, 03:28
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

What to chose?

Samstag, 18. April 2009, 16:15

Hi all,

It has been some thime since I posted here. But now I'm going to overhaul my system big time, I need some advise. Here it goes!

This is what I want:
  • PC-A77B case
  • CPU cooler
  • 2 GPU coolers
  • Pump is automaticly regulated by the water temperature
This is the setup I have in mind:
Radiator --> CPU --> GPU I --> GPU II --> Temp. sensor --> Reservoir --> Pump --> Flow sensor -->

These are my questions:
  • Which pump to chose?
  • Which diameter tubes to chose?
  • How many temperature sensors, where to place them and which kind to chose?
  • Which kind of flow sensor to chose?
  • Is the setup I chose correct?
  • Did I forget somehting?
Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs. Brent in Player vs. Player

fox3

Samstag, 18. April 2009, 22:33

Hi Timstone,
A lot depends on the blocks you are going to use but assuming you use aqua blocks put the CPU right after the pump then the GPU's. 3/8" id tubing is a good choice others might suggest 1/2", thats your call to make.

A good place to locate two temp sensors would be right after the last block (Hot) and in the Res(Cold). They should be close enough to the MB headers or fan controller this way and have a delta of ~ 0.5°C or so.

Aqua has a new higher flow flow sensor out now, place that just before the Res. Actually you can place the flow sensor anywhere in the loop but the last place you want it is after the pump or before the CPU.

You might consider putting the Res right before the pump to avoid cavitation. Sort of like this: Res > pump > CPU > GPU 1 & 2 > temp sensor > Rad > flow meter > temp sensor >

I like the aqua Ultra XT pump and have two in my loop. Just bought two DDC 3.25 pumps and will test them soon to compare the pumps and flow rates.

MrToad

Samstag, 18. April 2009, 22:51

2xGPU and CPU in the same loop are going to require some mighty pumping power and at least two triple radiators in series.

I had that setup before with 2x8800 GTX (DD FC blocks) and a QX6850 (with a D-Tek Fusion water block w/o nozzles), using 2 x TC PA120.3 in series, 1/2 ID tubing over barbs and two DDC 3.2 pumps with petra's top and to an extent it did work. Temps were half decent (20-25 degree ambient to CPU/GPU delta, 7-10 degree ambient to coolant delta, on non-benching load, with an ambient between 21 and 25 degrees, all in Celsius) with a 20% OC on both GPUs and CPU, and around 1 GPM flow.

However, it restricts your choice of CPU block, because in a multiblock setup like that you can't afford to use the more restrictive models.

For my next build, following sound advice, I've set up separate loops for the GPUs and the CPU.

Regarding temp sensors, coolant temperature is within 1.5 degrees variation across the whole loop (tested in my build with Dallas digital temp sensors, properly calibrated). If you have a higher variation, you have flow issues. Therefore, one temp sensor per loop should suffice.

What you have to keep in mind when designing a loop is to make sure that you have enough radiator surface/air flow/coolant flow for the amount of heat dissipated.

If you are going for low flow, to be brutally honest, no Idea. I've never set up a low flow loop before...

Sonntag, 19. April 2009, 11:31

Holy, holy... :cursing:
From the posts above I gathered it's a very bad idea to use a CPU cooler and two GPU coolers with the triple radiator. Hmm... that will definitely change my plans. Damn...

Fox3:
Thanks for the excellent idea of the loop! Top notch!

I was planning to buy a Core i7 920 and two 280GTX. Because I'm not able to spend indefinite amounts of money I'll have to drop the suggestion to make two cooling loops. I guess the two GPU's will have to cool themselfs with air instead. :thumbdown:
Or maybe it's a good idea to use the triple radiator (as supplied in the standard PC-A77B case of AC) and only cool the GPU's? Then I'll cool the Core i7 920 wiith air. That's one fan down...
Is that a good option?
Maybe Shoggy could boast some ideas as well?

Could someone please answer my questions in the way I posted them in the first place?
No harm intended from my side, it's just easier for me to read that way.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Timstone« (19. April 2009, 11:33)

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs. Brent in Player vs. Player

fox3

Sonntag, 19. April 2009, 18:00

Holy, holy... :cursing:

Could someone please answer my questions in the way I posted them in the first place?
No harm intended from my side, it's just easier for me to read that way.

Hi all,

These are my questions:
  • Which pump to chose?
  • Which diameter tubes to chose?
  • How many temperature sensors, where to place them and which kind to chose?
  • Which kind of flow sensor to chose?
  • Is the setup I chose correct?
  • Did I forget somehting?

On the pump it depends, DDC 3.25 is a good pump but does not have the bells and whistles that the Ultra XT has

3/8" id tubing is a good tubing to use as it allows tighter bends, 1/2" id allows for more flow. Temps will be the same for the most part

1 temp sensor is all you really need and in the RES or just before it so you can monitor how well the Rad is working and if the fans need to be ramped up. I use 2 sensors.

AC has a new high flow sensor out now, do not use the U turn style. I am using a digimese FHKUC hose and will try the newer AC unit when I order again from AC.

Your setup will work. There is no real need to cool the GPU other than to reduce noise but cooling the CPU will provide measurable benefits.

What you forgot depends on how deep your pockets are. Aquearo/ fan controller comes to mind. I am not familiar with the case you chose and mebbe the res and fancontrollers are included.

Have fun with your build.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »fox3« (19. April 2009, 18:11)

RE: What to chose?

Montag, 20. April 2009, 06:18

Hi all,

It has been some thime since I posted here. But now I'm going to overhaul my system big time, I need some advise. Here it goes!

This is what I want:
  • PC-A77B case
  • CPU cooler
  • 2 GPU coolers
  • Pump is automaticly regulated by the water temperature
This is the setup I have in mind:
Radiator --> CPU --> GPU I --> GPU II --> Temp. sensor --> Reservoir --> Pump --> Flow sensor -->

These are my questions:
  1. Which pump to chose?
  2. Which diameter tubes to chose?
  3. How many temperature sensors, where to place them and which kind to chose?
  4. Which kind of flow sensor to chose?
  5. Is the setup I chose correct?
  6. Did I forget somehting?

Top Nurse's answers:
  1. Use the Aquastream XT and I would get the Standard version to save a few bucks up front. Once you get it wired you can easily upgrade the pump via the firmware.
  2. Choose any size tube that you find esthetically pleasing. The temps won't make much difference unless you are going for all out performance.
  3. I would use two temp sensors for water: One before the radiator and one after so you know whats going on. You might also consider an ambient temp sensor as well.
  4. Get the new AC flow sensor that runs straight through.
  5. Sounds good to me.
  6. Get an Aquaero LT at the minimum to keep track of the temps, flow, and fans.

Depending on your choice of blocks you may want to split the GPU's from the rest of the circuit (i.e. two loops). Which blocks you plan on using?

BTW, are you planning on getting this Aquacomputer case? :D

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 5 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Top_Nurse« (20. April 2009, 10:12)

Montag, 20. April 2009, 15:43

Wow people! Thanks for the answers, much appreciated.
Fox3:
My pockets are sufficiently deep to allow me a decent setup. :)

Top_Nurse:
Alrighty then! Top notch advise from the Top Nurse! :thumbsup:
The setup proposed by Fox3 is the one I'll use:
--> CPU --> GPU I --> GPU II --> Temp. sensor --> Radiator --> Reservoir --> Pump --> Temp. sensor --> Flow sensor -->

Here are the blocks and other stuff I plan on using:I want to upgrade my Aquastream XT to the Ultra version right away, it will save me time and irritation later on. I also think it's a good idea to do it because I plan to use the Aquaero. And because the Aquastream XT Ultra already has an internal temperature sensor I only need one more temperature sensor. 8o

But splitting this serial loop into two loops (parallel) is something I don't think will get me good results. There will be a greater flow of water towards the CPU (less resistance), so when the GPU's don't get enough water (cooling) they demand more of the pump and thus causing unneccesary high noise from the pump (channeling most of the water towards the CPU). Am I correct?
In the case of a parallel loop I will need another temp. sensor. Making the grand total three sensors, one of those being in the pump.

Are all the parts I've selected capable of automaticly regulating the pump speed and the speed of the fans (i.e. I set the limits and the hardware/software does the rest)?

Could you please make a list of things I need, or is mine complete? :whistling:

Dienstag, 21. April 2009, 09:32

Your Cuplex DI is a much more restrictive block than your choice of GPU coolers. I would consider the full cover GPU blocks to be essentially low flow usable (high flow capable) blocks. Your XT pump should be capable of controlling the radiator fans according to temperature through the Aquasuite. The advantage of the Aquaero is in being able to control fans and pumps without the Aquasuite software.

That AC version of the Lian-Li case is sweet. :love:

Dienstag, 21. April 2009, 17:33

Top_Nurse:
Haha... glad you like my case. 8)
So, a parallel circuit is a very good option. Well, why not try it. I can always alter it. And since I saw no objections to the rest of the parts, I assume they are in order.
Now only if the prices of the other parts dropped... I'll wait untill the end of may and then I'll buy all the neccesary stuff.

Big thank you to all the help given here, really awesome! :thumbsup:

drbo

Donnerstag, 23. April 2009, 23:09

Hi,
only saw this tread today, since I have been away from the net since early march due to travelling.
Many sound adwice in this tread already, but I thought I would share my experiences.
I have run several setups on my complete wc workstations, and years of experience has given me this rule of thumb regarding cooling power - in terms of how much radiator is needed (meassured in # of 120mm fans over radiator). This rule has hold nicely so far with both amd and intel cpus, and with the following gpus (all ati): 1600xt, 2900xt, 3780 and 4870x2.
CPU= 1 fan
CPU overclocked= 2 fans (QX9650@4,2GHz)
GPU=1 fan, thus 4870x2=2fans
Chipset=1 fan (ram, mosfet, nb and sb)
4 HDDs= 1 fan (2 x Aquadrive dual, 2xpoweradjust)
To me it looks like the order of componets in the loop doesnt matter, with the exception that the pump has to be straight after the water tank with a free water mirror for best result. I have ended up with a loop like this:
tripplerad> aquatube> pump> 2x ramplex> cpu (cuplet Xt di)> nb> sb> singlerad> dualrad> gpus> poweradjust> flowmeter (5,6mm)> poweradjust> 2x aquadrive dual>
This loop has been tested with both Aquastream XT Ultra, and 2x Laing DTT T1 (modded to 18w) with watercool dualtop. Both setups worked fine, the Aquasteam gave ~80L/h, while the two Laing pumps in series gave ~110L/h.
When it comes to temp sensors, I'm a control freek, who likes to measure temperature drop over my rads. The internal temp sensor of the aquastream I don't trust, since it always showed far to high temp compared to my other 4 sensors, and also the temp differense was not stable ...
I am now in the process of rebuilding my workstadion, including the new copper aquatube, ramplex Cu ed., the stealmesch filter and the new temp sensors. Ill post some pictures and results when done in a few weeks time.
All the best
drbo 8)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 4 mal editiert, zuletzt von »drbo« (24. April 2009, 00:15)

WS: W10 | Asus Rog Strix X299 | i7-7820X | Asus Rog Strix 1080Ti | Dominator 32GB | Corsair 860AXi | 512GB Samsung EVO 970 |WC: EK-Waterblocks | AC- Monitor and Control | 3x EK-CoolStream PE 480 | LD PC-V8
Gamer:W10 | Asus R4E | i7 3930K | 3x Asus HD 7970 CF | Dominator 16GB| Corsair 1200AXi | 2x120GB I520 Raid0 | WC: EK-Waterblocks | AC- Monitor and Control | 4x Airplex PRO 360 | MM Extended Ascension

Freitag, 24. April 2009, 06:47

Hi,

I have run several setups on my complete wc workstations, and years of experience has given me this rule of thumb regarding cooling power - in terms of how much radiator is needed (meassured in # of 120mm fans over radiator). This rule has hold nicely so far with both amd and intel cpus. The internal temp sensor of the aquastream I don't trust, since it always showed far to high temp compared to my other 4 sensors, and also the temp differense was not stable .

I totally agree with this and FF is/was built on this simple premise concerning fans. I also have read about considerable problems with the internal Aquastream XT flow meter and temp sensor. Thus I am using another companies flow meter (might order up some of the new AC higher flow meters) and separate AC water temp sensors.