• 24.04.2024, 08:31
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Buffycor

Aquasuite is rubbish

Donnerstag, 31. Dezember 2009, 02:41

I would love to change the status of my opinion if the following problem can be resolved: I would like to know how the aquaero can be made to read the given CPU and GPU temps which are visible on my system. By this I mean, the CPU temp is available from a huge variety of software (not to mention the BIOS) and the GPU temps are available in the cards' own software (and other various software which is freely available in the internet). The sensors supplied are worse than useless for anything other than measuring the ambient case temp (which is hit and miss anyway). I've basically traded a very reasonable six-channel controller (Zalman) for a highly sophisticated piece of (expensive) hardware from which fan speed is difficult to control in manual mode. The hardware is great, the software leaves A LOT to be desired. Any suggestions? Am I missing something? To assist any would-be saviours out there in modding land, my PC has a water-cooled CPU, and two 8800GTS cards in SLi which are cooled by Zalman air coolers. The USB cable is fitted (and working) and the aquasuite installed. I am aware that inserting the sensors between die and block is BAD practise and not something I would even entertain anyway, so don't even suggest it. :thumbdown:

Donnerstag, 31. Dezember 2009, 03:08

Just from another thread:
That is not possible and also would not make any sense at all. As you already mentioned the CPU temperature changes very quick and this makes it impossible to use it for fan control. Let's say you start a large program and the CPU is at heavy load for a few seconds. Speeding up the fans for this matter is worthless because the most important thing is your water temperature - the medium which cools your hardware. It will not change at all in this case so it is not necessary to speed up the fans.

If you would do it anyway the fans will go up and down all the time which would be very annoying ;) And in the end it would also have no real effect on your cooling performance.
There are also other reason why we do not offer this option. One massive problem for example is the malfunction handling. Every possible case (system crashes, software crashes, endless loop w/o changing temps etc...) must be programmed into the firmware.

svol

Donnerstag, 31. Dezember 2009, 10:14

I can understand that it would be a not so very useful feature to automatically control the fans. However it would be nice if there was some kind of plug-in or tab in the Aquasuite which shows the system sensors, just for visual verification and maybe manual fan control.

I now have two applications running in the background for monitoring my system: Aquasuite which controls the fans by it own sensors and ASUS PC Probe (horrible piece of software...) to monitor temps (and maybe voltages when OC'ing). Wouldn't it be wonderful if the Aquasuite could show me those read-outs too? In my opinion it doesn't have to do anything with the data, it would be nice if it just shows it as additional information. It also doesn't have to be shown on the Aquaero selve, just in the software would be great. :)

Montag, 4. Januar 2010, 03:55

at least allowing us to control fans from a delta of 2 aquaero sensors would help a lot. And should be easy to do... it's simple math. Right now, creating a profile based on water temps is crap if your ambient temps vary a lot. This is my main gripe. So I agree with the OP of this thread, that the software is pretty lame, and leaves a lot to be desired.

And in my original thread, someone posted some plugin that didn't really work at all. I wish I could read german so i could understand the other sections of these forums and see how others feel.

edit: and I kinda take back my original reply to your post above about the cpu temps changing quickly making your fans cycle on and off. Since if lets say you could adjust fans by cpu temp, you could have them come on under load, and turn off when at idle. Right now, with just adjusting by water temp doesn't work to well for reasons i mentioned above. If I set a small range of tempature change, based on water temp, to change a big range of fan speed... and ambient temps change 1-2 degrees, it makes your whole profile useless.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Diverge« (4. Januar 2010, 03:59)

heed

Dienstag, 5. Januar 2010, 05:06

Why don't you do this: tape one of the included sensors to the side of your CPU block or the socket, set the delay to 0 and hysteresis to 0, and set that sensor to control your fan. You will see how annoying it is to have the fan directly controlled by CPU temp. And, I might add, that having your fan turn on and off so much could negatively affect its lifespan.

There is one point I do agree with, though. I would love if I had the ability to view the CPU temp reported by coretemp, etc. in the logging so that I can see how the water temps, etc. react to CPU loads. But right now I just export the data to *.csv and then use Everest, Coretemp, etc's CSV values to merge together in Excel and graph it all pretty from there. But it would be nice to view it in Aquasuite.

Buffycor

Fan speed vs temps

Montag, 11. Januar 2010, 23:52

Having read a lot of the threads about this, I'm not sure I agree with the comments about changing CPU temps and the fans changing speeds. Isn't that what they do when they're air-cooled anyway? The software should (and does) have a start temp and an 'end' temp, with the voltage being adjusted accordingly. The speed of temperature change isn't an issue. When I place my CPU under heavy load during say, Cinebench, the temperature can jump from 28c to 52c in two seconds. When air-cooled, the fan simply whizzed up to it's max and stayed there until the load dropped and the temperature fell again. Using the water temperature to adjust the speed would be bad, the CPU would reach 80 degrees and higher before the fan kicked in (if ever). NOT good!! Monitoring water tempterature is rather pointless. What does it tell you? Except, er.. temperature of the water. Well done (clap, clap). Now what do you do with it? And, boys and girls, I maintain that Aquasuite is rubbish. I sent it back and put the Zalman 6-fan controller back in. Simples.

Dienstag, 12. Januar 2010, 01:53

You don't get it ;)

If the CPU reaches 80° while you bench the water will not realy become much hotter in some seconds. Infact water can absorb a lot of energie bevor getting hotter. And when you control the fans using the CPUTemp, the fans will spin up but the watertemprature is almost the same severel second bevor you start heating up your CPU. So there will be noise by the fans when you don't need more airflow. And your CPU will not reach 80° anyways if your coolingsystem work. When benching a hour or so the water is hotter then bevor and the fans have speed up and more heat will released to cool your CPU.

If Water havent such a great possebility to store enerigie, cooling with water were useless. And only under the conditions that water isn't possible to store energy your thoughts will work ;)
:rolleyes:

Buffycor

Water temp / fans speed

Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2010, 12:25

Sorry, don't agree. I am not sure where you get your information from, but water is not a particularly good conductor of heat. It IS better than air, but significantly worse than metal. This is actually the crux of the cooling issue. This is physics 101. Hot (or warm) water releases heat energy based on either ambient temperature, the container it's in (and the material it's made of) or air flow. A stream of water across a hot component will cool it provided that the heat energy is removed from the water. I also think you are misunderstanding me; it is the temperature of the components we are interested in - not the coolant (hopefully!) It is the reason why I think that the measurement of case temperature is utterly pointless. If the case temp reached 80c, your pc is dead already. Same with the water. Therefore, I maintain that effective monitoring of the cpu temp (or gpu) is what is needed. There is indeed some 'lag' between air cooling and water cooling (which supports my argument about water being a relatively poor conductor of heat), so it's inevitable that the fans in a water system will react 'late' to a significant rise in cpu temp. If the flow is good, the volume sufficient and the cooling area (rad) significant, overheating is not a problem anyway. In summary, I will continue to monitor cpu/gpu temps rather than air/water temps because they're 'real time'. I won't continue this line of conversation because it will start to become too 'simple'.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Buffycor« (13. Januar 2010, 14:11)

svol

Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2010, 14:20

I don't see your point why the information of the water temperature is useless. But lets first go back in in the conduction of water, indeed the conduction is bad... but that would only influence your cooling if you got water that stands still. In a watercooling setup the water normally flows and this is what cools the system. Water can absorb much more heat then air per unit volume which makes it an effective coolant. So if we compare the heat transportation capability of water and air, water wins hands down.

But now back to why the water temperature can be usefull... for a good setup with sufficient flow and good waterblocks there is quite a close relationship between water temperature and components temperature. Due to the thermal resistance between, say, your CPU core and the water (which we can see as a big thermal reservoir we can dump heat in) there will always be a temperature difference between the water and the components. But when your setup is good this difference is not that dependent on the amount of heat being emitted from the CPU core. So we can state that it is approximately constant in a good setup. This when you know your water temperature you in fact know your CPU temperature (of course, always in steady-state otherwise we have to take into account the thermal capacitance of the CPU, waterblock, etc.). So if your water temperature rises one degree, your average CPU temp should go up by a similar amount. Just like when your ambient temperature is higher, your CPU temperature will be higher.

So in my opinion the water temperature is a rather useful piece of information: if it stays constant your CPU temperature should remain constant (if not the waterblock you're using cannot cope with the heat being emitted by the CPU). If your water temperature rises gradually over time you know that the amount of heat put into your water loop cannot be removed by your radiators. Which means that you might need to turn op fan speed (or buy a bigger radiator :P).

The nice things is that due to the huge thermal capacity of water it will take some time to heat up. Five minutes of full CPU load will this have a neglect able influence on the water temperature (while in case of a heatsink cooled system your fan will immediately crank up). However, 5 hours of gaming will most likely will have some influence, which means that your fan speed will gradually increase till a new equilibrium is reached.

Buffycor

Water temps /cpu

Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2010, 15:05

Thank you for taking the time to respond to this thread. I agree with every word you said. Except the part about the change in temperature of the cpu in relation to water. Yes, water is very good compared to air when it comes to conducting heat - we're agreed on that. It is however, spectacularly poor compared to the stuff cpus are made of. A 1 degree rise in water temp will not correlate to a 1 degree rise in cpu temp. You should also remember that the cpu temp reported by the bios is often (but not always) a measurement of the cpu casing temp. I will concede that in a good flow system (like mine!!) it isn't a problem at all. After an hour of playing Crysis at HD resolutions, the cpu temp never goes higher than 59 and the gpus 70 (they're air cooled at the moment). Interestingly, the cpu temp is slow to drop compared with the gpu's - ergo water is a poor conductor of heat. I know I'm not comparing like-for-like, but the cpu was air cooled once upon a time, and I observed this then. I agree also about the size of the rad being important: water doesn't give up heat quickly without additional 'incentive', so a heat build-up points to inefficient cooling in the rad. Remember though, it can also point to insufficient volume of coolant or a fiery cpu!! Really, I suppose I'm on safe ground when I say that the road is long and littered with the bodies of mobos and cpus that people thought they could cool properly... ;)

svol

Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2010, 17:32

I don't understand where your objection that CPU temp and water temp are closely correlated comes from...

Lets try to make a simple model of how a system is cooled by either water or air. First lets assume we're working on steady-state conditions, such that we can neglect all thermal capacitance's and only need to take into account thermal resistance. I will model the CPU as a body which generates a specific heat, the water or air I will model as a huge thermal sink at a specific temperature (ambient for air and water temperature when we consider water). Those two are connected with each other with heatsink or waterblock, which acts as transportation medium of the heat from the CPU to the sink and has a certain thermal resistance (and thermal capacitance, but we neglect those). Of course the thermal resistance depends on a whole lot of properties (like temperature, airflow, wateflow, material, surface area, etc.), but lets for the moment assume it is constant. Say it is 0.1 C/W (centigrade per Watt)

CPU (W) -> R -> Ambient/water (T) (the arrows depict the flow of heat)

So if our CPU emits 100 W and the ambient is at T = 25 C we can use the thermal resistance to calculate the CPU temperature which is:W*R + T = 100*0,1 + 25 C = 35 C. As you can see if the ambient increases with 1 degree centigrade, so should in this model increase the CPU temperature. In realty this is ofcourse not the complete story as the thermal resistance of the heatsink/waterblock depends on temperature, but the difference of this for small temperature differences should be rather small. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only an electrical engineer so the amount of courses I followed on thermal modeling was limited.

The fact that a CPU doesn't cool down as fast as a GPU after you stopped gaming is due to the fact that a GPU has little to do when you don't run 3D calculations and will stop emitting a lot of heat almost immediately. Your CPU, however, still will emit a reasonable amount of heat when you remain using the computer for normal use. If your CPU temperature rose way more quickly with watercooling then with aircooling this points to a problem with the waterblock not being able to remove the heat sufficiently. I think that nowadays the circuitry inside the CPU determines the temperature, it is very easy to build a primitive thermal sensor out of a couple of transistors (for instance a PTAT circuit).

Buffycor

Temps and cpu

Mittwoch, 13. Januar 2010, 23:10

You'll be pleased to know I do understand all that (I have advanced Level physics). I don't "object" per se, it's simply that the recorded temperature of the cpu rises faster than the temperature of the water, regardless of capacity/efficiency/flow rate. I know that the water should (in a loop of sufficient volume) keep the component cool, I am simply saying that monitoring the water temperature with a view to adjusting the voltage applied to the fans to control it's temperature is at best disingenuous and at worst rather foolish. Your PC will soon tell you if the volume is too small or the rad too inefficient. If you monitor water temperature, it'll tell you sooner rather than later. That's all !

With reference to the cpu/gpu comparison I made, I did point out that the comparison wasn't like-for-like, and I qualified this observation by saying that the cpu was once air cooled, and it's temperature dropped more quickly at that time compared with now that (the cpu) is water-cooled. (Identical setup, by the way).

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Buffycor« (13. Januar 2010, 23:18)

svol

Donnerstag, 14. Januar 2010, 17:39

I get your point, to control if your cooling is sufficient you indeed need to pay attention to the actual CPU temp, otherwise bad things can and most certainly will happen. But in a setup where you know you can cope with the CPU heat controlling fan speed by water temperature makes sense (I'm currently doing it and it works pretty well).

Freitag, 15. Januar 2010, 23:58

To simplify everything into a simple sentence:

Just give us temperature delta between sensors.

The we can correctly adjust our setups for load conditions, without having to worry about fluctuating ambient temps affecting water temp.

Buffycor

Temps etc.

Dienstag, 19. Januar 2010, 00:56

To Svol, totally agree. I think we're singing from the same hymn sheet. When you consider air cooling for example, you don't measure ambient room temp (I hope!!) There's certainly more of that than there is water in a loop. My CPU loop is relatively small really; a single rad and XSPC bay reservoir. Temps never exceed 59 degrees even when playing Crysis at eye-watering resolutions. I must admit though, the GPUs get warm, but I'll be water-cooling those soon - and not monitoring the water temp!! I must admit though, still rather confused about the method of using the water temp to control the fan. You say it works in your system (great!), but my observations of temperature rise in the cpu when under load would make me worry. As I said in an earlier entry to this thread, the cpu temp rises dramatically when under load. For example, when I run such an application, I observe an immediate rise from 26 degrees to around 47 within a very short time. Your not telling me that the water temp rises correspondingly? The water will take some time to heat up and may only rise by 5 or 6 degrees after some 10 minutes. With a fan running, it would be longer, of course. Doing rough (and they are rough) calculations to control the fan speed are surely not the way to go. Anyway, it's not my system, so I won't lose any sleep over it. I suppose that if the fan failed or was turned off, the water would not reach 59 degrees for quite some time, but I suspect it would cook by then... You do finally support my view by saying that one has to observe CPU temp or 'bad things will happen'. Absolutely. :thumbup:

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Buffycor« (19. Januar 2010, 01:11)

svol

Dienstag, 19. Januar 2010, 08:51

I just updated my loop to increase flow and I now have an equivalent of 5x 120 mm rad area... but I cool my CPU, GPUs (have a dedicated PhysX card), Mobo and power regulation. :P

My CPU is always under full load as I'm running BOINC, so I cannot commend on how fast temperature rises between idle and full... as idle doesn't exist for my poor CPU ;). It is now running for half an hour and water temperature is 23 C while CPU is 41 C. Yesterday after 2-3 hours the water was 24 C, and I think CPU around 42 C or something. With my previous setup with a much lower flow rate and cooling capacity water temps were 30-32 C under only CPU load and the CPU was around 50+ C. If haven't tried gaming yet with the system, but I certainly know that the water temperature will increase a few degree. However, my radiator fans are linearly scaled to water temperature (with a minimum of 35% power, of course) so that should level out the water temperature increase at some point. Alarm settings are set for 35 C for my water, if that happens I know something is wrong and I have enough time to shut down.

And for air cooling I would measure case temperature somewhere in the vicinity of the CPU, but preferably outside the air flow of the CPU fan.

Buffycor

temps and your setup

Montag, 25. Januar 2010, 00:45

That sounds very impressive. I should think that your loop is very capable of removing heat during a gaming marathon, given that your poor cpu is under so much constant load! I tend to find on my system that (in spite of a single XSPC rad cooling the cpu loop) the temps are slow to fall and fast to rise, which I guess is what you'd expect. I will say though, that the cpu temp never goes higher than 59 degrees - which I think is actually rather good in what I consider to be a fairly economical setup. I'm not sure if the loop (or rather, the rad) would be up to the constant demand of seti@home or folding@home for example. I will probably increase the cooling area when I migrate the setup to a larger case, not to mention water cooling the gpus (which actually really need it). The air coolers on my 3x250GTSs are woefully inadequate!! When I started writing on this thread, I had 2x8800GTS which had better cooling (I put Zalman coolers on them).

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Buffycor« (25. Januar 2010, 00:52)

Sonntag, 31. Januar 2010, 09:23

Don't know if your still unhappy with your Aquaero, but if you are I would be willing to take it off your hands. :D

P.S. I got a pair of Zalman fan controllers I will trade you for.

drbo

RE: temps and your setup

Dienstag, 2. Februar 2010, 21:37

Just a quick question to you Byffycor, which way are your fans blowing? That is, how are your radiators mounted, and are you blowing the air into or out of your case (over the rads)?
I ask, since I once mounted my fans the wrong way, which was blowing air into my case over my rads, and thus recirculating the heat into my case, leading tho an ever increasing temperature.
My aquaro and multiswich is now controlling 6 fans (3+2+1 rads), keeping my rig steady at water temps around ~28C, cpu at 38 idle/50 full load (AMD 965BE@4,05) and GPU at 45/50 (Ati 5970 @900/1200). I also cool the chipset, rams and my two poweradjust in the same loop.
drbo 8)
WS: W10 | Asus Rog Strix X299 | i7-7820X | Asus Rog Strix 1080Ti | Dominator 32GB | Corsair 860AXi | 512GB Samsung EVO 970 |WC: EK-Waterblocks | AC- Monitor and Control | 3x EK-CoolStream PE 480 | LD PC-V8
Gamer:W10 | Asus R4E | i7 3930K | 3x Asus HD 7970 CF | Dominator 16GB| Corsair 1200AXi | 2x120GB I520 Raid0 | WC: EK-Waterblocks | AC- Monitor and Control | 4x Airplex PRO 360 | MM Extended Ascension

Buffycor

Aquasuite

Samstag, 6. Februar 2010, 23:14

Top Nurse, thanks, but I RMA'd it. I had it two days and that was enough! I replaced it with a Zalman that I already had. Okay, it's manual, but easier to use than the aquaero in manual mode.