• Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

thode

Appropriate setup for a GTX 580, Core I7 @ 3.5 ghz and 6 ram blocks

Montag, 20. Dezember 2010, 20:17

Hey hey, its been a while.

I recently got hold of a gtx 580 - and now have a system that consists of:

1 cublex kryos HF for an intel core I7 clocked to 3.5 ghz,
1 gtx 580 with an aquagraFX for GTX 580 attached.
6 blocks of ddr3 ram with two ramplex (copper edition) attached.

All of it is connected to an Aquaduct 360 XT mark III, with standard plug&cool tubings, and around 1 L of DP Ultra Coolant running in the system.

However. The GTX 580 is one hot son of a B****.

I currently have idle temperatures around 45C on the GPU and CPU cores, and a water temperature around 35-37C with the fans running at ~ 50%.

At load, I easily hit 70C on the GPU core, resulting in water temps of around 45C and ~60C on the CPU cores.

EDIT: Tuning the Aquaduct to run at 50% fan power as a minium (even when idling), with 32.5/37.5/45 C for reference/max/alarm temps for water out, seems to reduce the early temperature spike with around 5C, keeping the temps overall 5C degrees lower (around 65C in the dx test engine unigne, max settings). They do increase slowly though, so I expect they'll reach the former numbers eventually.

For comparison, previously I ran the system on a GTX 285, which was easily cooled, with CPU core temps around 55-60C at full load, and around 55C on the GPU core.

The CPU is running on manually adjusted voltage, in order to lower the power consumption and heat dissipation.

My question: What is an appropriate setup for a system like this? I'm not entirely sure that the aquaduct is a sufficient solution any longer. What options do I have? It is, without a question, the gtx 580 that's making the system run this hot.

On a side note: What happened to the Aquaduct XT product line? They're no longer listed in the aquastore.

Best regards (and a merry christmas to you all)
Christian

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »thode« (21. Dezember 2010, 01:33)

thode

Freitag, 24. Dezember 2010, 15:55

I'll answer my own question by asking a new one:

I guess what I need is a new radiator, assuming the aquaduct is incapable of sufficient cooling. I'm currently looking at the airplex evo 1080 - with the hope that a radiator of that size will cool the the pc sufficiently (and passively), so that I avoid having to add additional fans.

Now, my Aquaduct pump (an eheim 600 compact, if my searching was correct) is currently running at the lowest possible frequency, and the system has a flow of roughly 40 l/h. Based on what I've read here and on the net, I need a net flow of 40-50 l/h for sufficient heat dissipation, and while I have not attempted to increase the flow, I believe it wont alter the temperatures much (but it is something I will experiment with after the Christmas holidays).

As to my question: Should the eheim be able to handle a radiator of the above size in the loop?

EDIT: I'm also looking at the airplex revolution 360/420 - the evo 1080 may be a tad too big. In regards to that, a couple of questions as well:
a) same question as above; is the aquaduct pump sufficient?
b) I imagine I'll flavour the rad with 3x140 mm fans - but it is possible to control all of them with the aquaduct controller (which has 1 external fan connector as fair as I know).
c) EDIT: much like the aquaduct is an external system, is it possible mount the revolution in some kind of "footing" in order to keep it completely external from the pc-chassis?

Hoping for an answer (I do not know a lot about water cooling yet - but I'm trying to learn) - and merry Christmas to you all :-)

Best Regards
Christian

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 4 mal editiert, zuletzt von »thode« (25. Dezember 2010, 20:08)

thode

Sonntag, 26. Dezember 2010, 22:45

Yet another update:

I'm happy to say that raising the pump from minimum frequency to 75/80 Hz has resulted in a GPU that does not go above 59C with OCCT running for more than half an hour - and with the fans at only 50%!

So I'm one happy bunny - I'd still like to know what the Aquaduct is able to pull decently (extra rads, etc).

Best regards, hope you had a very merry Christmas!
Christian