• 25.04.2024, 23:11
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

bla2222

Aquaero 5, some questions before buying.

Samstag, 18. Juni 2011, 12:31

I'm planning to build a new computer with water-cooling. And I'm looking into getting myself an automated fan control system that can be configured to adjust fan speed according to temperature. I do have some question regarding the Aquaero, though. I'm looking to control 4 separate fans.

1) I want to be able to slow down my fans to at least 20% of max rpm. I know that all regular fans have a certain voltage cut-off point where they stop spinning. The only way of slowing them down below this point will be to apply som PWM-technique. I see that the Aquaero 5 only have 1x 4 pin PWM connection (Fan 4). Does the device, in some way, emulate PWM on fan 1-3 so that regular fans can be controlled below it's "minimum" rpm?

2) If the Aquaero 5 utilizes a PWM-like control using 3-pin fans, wouldn't that make rpm-sensing difficult/impossible? Is the device still able to somewhat accuraly detect fan rotation speed?

3) I actually have no need for an LCD display, as I want to be able to manage everything from within the Aquasuite software. Is the Aquaero 5 LT the same as the XT except for the display, or are there more possibilities with the XT?

4) I want to be able to calculate system power consumption, and I guess I then need both a water-temp sensor at inlet and outlet of radiator + a flow sensor, is that correct? Do I need to use the AC sensors, or will any brand do?

5) I do have an old Aquaduct 360 still working. Just out of curiosity, would I be able to dismantle and take out the embedded Aquaero from the Aquaduct and use it as an internal controller?

My plans for the new build is slowly coming together, and I hope some of you will be able to answer some of the questions, especially how to Aquaero controls regular fans at very low speeds. Thanks in advance.

RE: Aquaero 5, some questions before buying.

Samstag, 18. Juni 2011, 18:16

3) I actually have no need for an LCD display, as I want to be able to manage everything from within the Aquasuite software. Is the Aquaero 5 LT the same as the XT except for the display, or are there more possibilities with the XT?

There are 3 versions:
LT: No Display and no IR-Sensor
Pro: display 256x64 pixel with 3 normal mechanical keys (up, down, enter), via LCDHype useable for WinAmp ect.
XT: display 256x64 pixel with 3 touchkeys (up, down, enter, ), via LCDHype useable for WinAmp ect. and 4 touchkeys for own tasks. For exaple to switch between profiles or maybe manual dim the lights in the case or dim the casewindow. Frontpanel ist absolut flat, maybe for some people the point to spend the extra charge for this design.

LT is the cheapest and XT the most costly. I think the possibility to use the aquaero display for other things like twitter, winamp, facebook, teamspeak, mailbox ect and the possibility to make adjustments on the device itself, for linux or mac user absolut important, make the pro version the best version. The XT Version is more for design oriented people or people who have crazy ideas like dim the case window or something else. What version you choose depends on your needs and your wallet, but let me say one thing: all three version are extreme powerfull controllsystems, you will take it them from one pc to the next pc to the next pc to .... maybe to all your pc's in the feature.

Misteeq

RE: Aquaero 5, some questions before buying.

Sonntag, 19. Juni 2011, 11:07

I'm planning to build a new computer with water-cooling. And I'm looking into getting myself an automated fan control system that can be configured to adjust fan speed according to temperature. I do have some question regarding the Aquaero, though. I'm looking to control 4 separate fans.

1) I want to be able to slow down my fans to at least 20% of max rpm. I know that all regular fans have a certain voltage cut-off point where they stop spinning. The only way of slowing them down below this point will be to apply som PWM-technique. I see that the Aquaero 5 only have 1x 4 pin PWM connection (Fan 4). Does the device, in some way, emulate PWM on fan 1-3 so that regular fans can be controlled below it's "minimum" rpm?

You get 1x 4pin PWM control on Channel 4 and 2 other 2 pin PWM controllers separate from the analogue 4 fan channels. Only these 3 channels can be used to control PWM fans. The 4Pin PWM is the only one with RPM feedback.
I can control 6x fans on 1 analogue channel down to about 30% or 3.4v but your results would vary from different fan manufacturers.

The PWM channels of course could do 20%, but im not sure why you would want to go that slow, even at 30% my fans are doing 700RPM which is hardly enough to do any cooling.

2) If the Aquaero 5 utilizes a PWM-like control using 3-pin fans, wouldn't that make rpm-sensing difficult/impossible? Is the device still able to somewhat accuraly detect fan rotation speed?

As mentioned above the 3pin controllers a pure analogue so you cant run PWM devices off them. They have a ground, positive and RPM sense only on the 3pin channels.

Best bet is the LT 'light' version then, other than the IR remote, display and front panel keys it has all the same functions as the PRO/XT.

4) I want to be able to calculate system power consumption, and I guess I then need both a water-temp sensor at inlet and outlet of radiator + a flow sensor, is that correct? Do I need to use the AC sensors, or will any brand do?

Yes thats correct. I have 2 x koolance fm17s sensors using Ch1 on Aquaero and one of my 6 PA2s. They work very accurately on the Aquaero but pick up a bit of noise on the PA2 so it spikes a bit but still usable. The AC sensors should work better and there is no guarantee other brands will work, though they have the ability to offer different pulse calibrations for other brands. My Koolance fm17 for examples using a 169 pulse calibration.

5) I do have an old Aquaduct 360 still working. Just out of curiosity, would I be able to dismantle and take out the embedded Aquaero from the Aquaduct and use it as an internal controller?

Cant help you with that one.

My plans for the new build is slowly coming together, and I hope some of you will be able to answer some of the questions, especially how to Aquaero controls regular fans at very low speeds. Thanks in advance.
I am Intel of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

i7 3930K @5Ghz - X79 ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - 4x SLI GTX580 - 16GB DDR3-2000 - 4x GTX 360 rads 24x CM fans - Aquaero 5 XT +6 PA2 Ultras - 2 x Enermax 1500W PSU - MM Extended Ascension Case - 2 x 452x2 Res and 4 x D5 - 3 x 24" Acer H243H LCD

bla2222

Dienstag, 21. Juni 2011, 08:38

Thanks to both of you for replying. I might have misunderstood the way Aquaero controls the fans. I think that because I'm able to control my Aquaduct 360 fans all the way down to 20% (~300rpm) power I believed that Aquaero had to utilize som PWM-trick like the mCubed T-Balancer does. If I now understand correctly, Aquaero only regulates the DC voltage to each fan channel.

Anyway, I've chosen some fans that have a pretty wide voltage working range, so I guess it won't be a problem: 3x Noiseblocker Multiframe M12-S2 (4,5-12V. Max 1250rpm) and 1x Phobya G-Silent 18 (7-12V. Max 700rpm).

I'm planning on connecting a 1x AC Flow Meter ("High flow" G1/4") and 2x AC In-line temperatur sensors to make it complete. After weighing my options on which version of the Aquaero to buy, I'll settle for the LT-version. It doesn't have the fancy display, but I know by experience that I never use the front panel on my Aquaduct anyways. I'm probably better off without the LCD.

One more question, though: I'm looking at the in-line temperature sensors, and there are two kinds: One with internal-internal threads and one with internal-external threads. Choosing the latter, I could fit 1x directly at the pump outlet and 1x directly to the last radiator (giving me both water-in and water-out temperatures). Is it advicable to connect these sensors directly to a radiator (or a water block)? Could I risk heat dissipating through the metal into the sensor giving me a higher temp reading than what it is supposed to be? Would you instead advice mounting it with hose on both ends or does it not matter?

Thanks for helping me out.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »bla2222« (21. Juni 2011, 10:11)

Dienstag, 21. Juni 2011, 13:45

I've once made a mistake, and had a temp-sensor on the radiator (external-internal thread mounted direct on the radiator), and one temp-sensor (internal-internal on the hose) 10cm from the first temp-sensor.
They where in fine agreement about the temp, with 0,1¤ sometime one was higher - some times the other.
So just get the external-internal kind, and save some fittings ;-)

bla2222

Mittwoch, 22. Juni 2011, 14:51

Good mistake, that helped me out deciding which in-line temp-senor I'll be buying. I'll get two internal-external sensors, putting them directly on the radiators (water in/water out). Together with the flow-sensor, I should be able to read my power consumption just like I do on my Aquaduct. Thanks!

Montag, 27. Juni 2011, 10:25

@bla2222: you can use the controller from the aquaduct as single device. If you have an old aquaduct with the three buttons you can also flash the regular aquaero firmware on it so there will be no difference.

@Phatboy69: The two PWM channels are not meant to be used as PWM controlling signals. These channels provide 12V of power as PWM output and can be used for LED stripes for example or any other stuff that can handle a PWM power source.