• 23.04.2024, 16:21
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

vtran73

Aquaero 5 XT Capacitive Touch Screen Problem - Possible Fix with Cardboard Mount

Dienstag, 17. Mai 2011, 04:03

The touch screen is sending false signals and will make the key tone as well as if the first programmable button is pushed constantly. It renders the unit unusable. The unit will work outside the case but once mounted into a drive bay it goes crazy even with the sensitivity turned all the way down to 1. I have a Lian Li case is it possible the XT does not like the aluminum case? I know some other touch screen devices have a way to recalibrate the touch screen is it possible with the XT? Is anyone else having this problem? Should I RMA the XT?

Additional notes after further investigation:

It appears that the XT does not indeed like aluminum cases or any metal near the capacitive touch keys. I tested it outside the computer and if I put the Aquaero on it's own it works just fine. However on my test bench I place the Lian Li aluminum bezel in close proximity under the unit not even touching it and it goes crazy with false signals especially the programmable 1 key. I then placed a piece of cardboard between the unit and the Lian Li bezel and the problem went away. I then tried to mount the unit with no bezels underneath it and the unit again started giving nothing but false signals. So it appears the aluminum even touching the mounting bracket of the unit will cause it to go crazy. I will try to mount it in a steel case if I can get a hold of one and post the results. Unfortunately, for the price of this unit, a lot of the people in the market for it is going to have a higher end aluminum case and will probably encounter the same issue.

Here is a video link on youtube of my problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zohsh66MunM

So what gives? Did I just get a defective unit or is this thing not meant to be with an aluminum case? Based on my tests so far if you have an aluminum case get the pro version and save yourself the headache and hours of troubleshooting wasted like I did.

Any Aqua Computer admins on the board have anything to say about my findings?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this issue.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 6 mal editiert, zuletzt von »vtran73« (22. Mai 2011, 10:57)

vtran73

This appears to be a wide spread issue.

Dienstag, 17. Mai 2011, 11:36

I found others with the same problem on youtube. It appears I'm not the only one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqm84EF_a1Q&feature=related

Dienstag, 17. Mai 2011, 16:53

Thhis thread " Fehlauslöser der Kapazitiven Tasten am Aquaero 5 XT " describes your problem and valid workarounds, you might try using Google web page translator to find out a working solution for you. The next FW will also change something about the sensitivity of the touch screen.

vtran73

Dienstag, 17. Mai 2011, 20:21

Thanks for the reply.

From what was translated it appears to be a grounding issue with the Lian Li cases or the Aquaero's incompatibility with anodized aluminum.

Can someone translate the solution to me in English? I tried to translate through Google but it wasn't very clear about the removal process. It appears PeeBee removed the double sided tape under the glass.

It would be nice if we can start an English thread with the fix so the non-German users out there can find a solution just as easy.

Has anyone else had any luck with this solution?

I wonder if it's best to wait for the new firmware to see if it helps or just go about and remove the tape. The tape removal process is one I would like to consider as a last resort in case I need to return this product.

I wonder if Aqua Computer can fabricate an alternative mounting solution, like provide the Lian Li users with a shield against the electrical interference. Plastic mount maybe with a plastic shield around the PCB of the capacitive screen.

Thanks

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »vtran73« (17. Mai 2011, 20:32)

Mittwoch, 18. Mai 2011, 07:02

My soultion was a bit more hard.. I've took a file and removed som metal from the panel around the display, but then again my unit was doing bipping away even when at its own (outside the case).
It just took 1-2µm all the way around the display, that was it. So try without the panel, if it works fine - hack away ;-)

Mittwoch, 18. Mai 2011, 12:27

In general these problems are normally caused by problems with the grounding or the environment directly around the aquaero. So it can be a problem with the case or the PSU. We already had a customer who only changed the PSU and all problems were gone.

In a case with anodization aluminum for example it could help to roughen the surface which comes in contact with the aquaero so you can be sure that you have a proper grounding. Not much impact but also wort a try is to add some piece of paper or other stuff above and below the aquaero.

Another method which requires some modifications on the aquaero is also possible. One customer with similar problems was able to solve it with that method. Below the plexiglas of the touch keys is a small self-adhesive foil which normally helps to get a good responsivity of the keys. Maybe in your case it is too much. That foil can be removed. To do so take off the front cover and carefully remove the plexiglas cover and the foil below it. Just put everything back together and give it a try. You normally should see a significant difference. Very likely that you have to raise the sensitivity of the keys afterwards in the menu.

vtran73

Tried all methods Still Broken

Mittwoch, 18. Mai 2011, 19:55

OK I have tried all methods short of cutting off the metal suggestion. I even swapped out the PSU (Corsair AX 1200 for a Seasonic X series 750, just in case you are logging this information, and yes I know Seasonic makes PSUs for Corsair but they did not make the AX 1200, so it was a different PSU I was swapping) which was a big pain. I have filed the drive bay for better grounding, taken out the double sided tape, even taken out the spacers that was suggested to me by PeeBee. Nothing has worked. I have noticed that the problem is not as bad if I shield the unit with painter's tape. For some reason, electrical tape makes the situation worst.

In my honest opinion I believe the unit is not shielded correctly and is suffering from parasitic capacitive coupling and not a grounding issue. Yes maybe the Lian Li case is aiding in the unwanted capacitance, but there is evidence of others having the same issue without a Lian Li case. The environment and temperature can also play a role but I feel the unit needs to be better shielded. If it was better shielded then a lot of these issues wouldn't play as big a factor. This is clearly a design flaw and I don't think a future firmware release is going to make it any better. Hopefully, Aqua Computer can prove me wrong.

My design advice to Aqua Computer is to not use double sided tape for the plexiglass, I noticed the keys actually functioned better with the double sided tape removed and somehow figure out how to properly shield the unit especially the bottom side of the unit. I also noticed there was less interface if I put painters tape on the mounts touching the case as well, so perhaps give an optional plastic mount with the unit instead of a metal one.

Shoggy,

I there anyway Aqua Computer is willing to ship the Pro faceplate to me? I don't want to have to RMA the unit when we all clearly know what the problem is and where it lies. Plus I would like to keep the heat sink and the remote which is what I really wanted anyways and decided to pay extra for the XT model instead of having to RMA the XT and having to purchase the heatsink and remote again. I have pretty much given up on the XT (too bad I bought the black faceplate for the XT as well). I have already wasted 2 days playing with it and trying to figure out how to shield the unit. If Aqua Computer is willing to ship the Pro faceplate you will make a very frustrated customer who tried really hard to make your product work a happy camper. :)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 4 mal editiert, zuletzt von »vtran73« (18. Mai 2011, 20:09)

vtran73

Possible Fix for the Parasitic Capacitive Coupling problem

Freitag, 20. Mai 2011, 05:12

The method I used was based on theory that the unit needed better shielding from outside interference. I noticed that the unit functioned just fine outside the case it only exhibited the problem when mounted inside the case. To me the issue was not a grounding issue with the case. If the case didn't properly ground anything then all my components would not be functioning correctly.

Here is what I did in order to fix the false positives created by the XT screen and my reasoning behind everything I did:

1. I taped the mounting bracket with painter's tape on the side that will be contacting the case. Electrical tape seemed to amplify the problem. The reason behind this is I noticed that even slight contact with the case seemed to trigger the false positive so I tried to isolate the unit as if though it was outside the case. This allowed me to mount the unit into the case and I noticed no false positives. I let it sit for several hours to ensure no false positives occurred. So then I moved on to the next problem which was having false positives when the aluminum bezel of the case was mounted below the unit.

2. I removed the double sided tape on the plexiglass of the touch screen. I did this with the suggestions I found from PeeBee and others on the forum that seemed to help them. When I removed the double sided tape the keys where more functional. Meaning when I touched the area where the keys where suppose to be it actually worked better. Again I tested this outside the case. This may or mot not have any bearing to properly shielding the unit. I just noticed better functionality, possibly because the glass was better aligned with the PCB after the tape removal.

3. You need to shield the bottom of the unit. I tried paper, splicing electrical tape, and even cardboard and nothing worked. It appeared I needed something thicker. I went to the local hardware store and purchased rubber foam weatherseal tape. The foam tape was 3/4 inch wide, 5/16 inch thick. I adhered the foam tape directly under the unit making sure you cover the bottom edge of the PCB on which the glass is attached to. The reason why I chose the foam what that it was much thicker, made of rubber for insulation and most importantly it was could collapse thickness wise so that I could mount the bezel under the unit. I then mounted the bezel under the unit and noticed no false positives for several hours.

4. I readjusted all the key sensitivities to where they function at the bare minimum level. All your capacitive keys will still be functional which is the best part of this solution. I lowered the sensitivity to the bare minimum for precautionary reasons, since the capacitive screen and I were at war for several days I didn't want to give it any reason to fight back.

I hope this helps some of the users out there. I know went through hell over this unit. I just hope Aqua Computer will look at this solution and manufacturer a better shielding solution for the XT to block out all the external electrical interference.

Freitag, 20. Mai 2011, 13:17

Thanks for your feedback! Most things have been already recognized by ourself when trying to help people with problems like you had. But that you have used painter's tape to isolate the brackets seems pretty weird to us because in our tests we had the experience that a good contact to the case was very helpful - so your modification is the total opposite of that.

I'm pretty sure that there will be useful solutions for this problems in the future so an aquaero XT will work for everyone out of the box. Measured by the sold XT units there are not many people with these problems, but the problems that occur are really persistent and the solutions for each customer are sometimes a bit strange - like your tape ;)

vtran73

Freitag, 20. Mai 2011, 18:51

Shoggy,

Yeah I tired roughing up the case where the XT would come into contact with it, that didn't work for me. The solution I provided isn't a perfect one after another day's worth of testing I still notice a couple on times that the XT would go off. I noticed during a reboot or initial power up of the PC the unit would go off. So I investigated further and I think that the unit goes off when all 16 power phases on my motherboard is active. I am using an MSI Big Bang Xpower motherboard which has leds showing you how many power phases are active at the current moment. When there was less power requirements the unit settled down and functioned normally. At least for now I don't have a constant clicking sound coming from the XT only during boot up and shutdown that lasts for less then a minute.

vtran73

Fix Version 2

Sonntag, 22. Mai 2011, 10:57

I got frustrated with the occasional false signals that would go off with my previous solution even though it was still better then when I initially installed the XT without any modifications. The occasional false trigger signal would drive my crazy so I went back to the drawing board and so far for almost 24 hours I have not had any false signals. The solution I came up with was I made my own mount out of cardboard. Yes, I have tried just sticking the cardboard under the unit with the original metal mounts and I would still get false signals. Again if you read my previous posts, I based my theory on isolating the unit from EMI since it worked fine outside the case. I still don't believe it's a grounding issue (since it should get ground from the power supply) but more of a shielding issue and hopefully this will provide proof to the Aqua Computer engineers that maybe they need to better shield the XT unit from EMI. I have attached some photos of my cardboard mount:

Here is some videos that shows the XT mounted and working. In the first video show the Aquaero from boot up to me actually playing with the touch keys on factory settings and no sensitivity adjustments, no remote control needed here baby. In the past boot up and shutdown would cause false signals. The second video just shows the Aquaero going through the motions without any interference, in the past I could never even get it to go though one cycle without interference.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9MA2VArNmw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wto3tPPPh_E

Hopefully, this can help the Aqua Computer team fabricate a special mount for the XT that can better shield the unit from EMI. And hopefully, they can send it to us with problems and make us all happy. :)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »vtran73« (22. Mai 2011, 11:06)

tnc99

Montag, 23. Mai 2011, 23:59

Oh no!

I godt the same problem in a obsidian 800D, updatet firmware to 1011 did NOT fix this :s
Hope there will be some solution soon, thanks!

Peter
I7 2600K
6990+6970 Watercooled EK-Plexi Crossfire
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7
Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W
Corsair Obsidian 800D
2 x Crusial C300 Raid 0
Corsair vangance 2x4G
Corsair H70
Aquastream XT Ultra
3x120 1x120 rads.
EK-Bay res.
Aquaero XT
Eyefinity 3x24"

vtran73

Aqua Computer Take Ownership of this Problem and find us a solution.

Dienstag, 24. Mai 2011, 00:37

I really think it's time that Aqua Computer as a company should take ownership of this problem. I don't know if they have on the German forum but as far as the English one I really don't see it. We've been given work arounds and temporary fixes but no real solution or effort from Aqua Computer stating they are aware of the problem and working toward a fix.

If you are experiencing this problem please post a reply with your case manufacturer so that Aqua Computer can at least see that the problem is a bit more wide spread then they think.

Dienstag, 24. Mai 2011, 15:41

I have a solution that might work, try painting the mounting bracket or putting a thin layer of sticky tape on each mounting plate to isolate the unit from the case. This way it will have a clean PSU ground signal directly and not the case ground signal which is likely a bad dirty ground anyway.
In my situation the whole mountain mods case is pre painted including the drive bays and i dont have a problem.
If AC can try this in their labs for further testing maybe they could make it a standard production change.
I am Intel of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

i7 3930K @5Ghz - X79 ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - 4x SLI GTX580 - 16GB DDR3-2000 - 4x GTX 360 rads 24x CM fans - Aquaero 5 XT +6 PA2 Ultras - 2 x Enermax 1500W PSU - MM Extended Ascension Case - 2 x 452x2 Res and 4 x D5 - 3 x 24" Acer H243H LCD

presidio

Aquaero 5 XT Capacitive Touch Screen Problem

Montag, 20. Juni 2011, 09:38

Could you do for those who uses IR keyboard, to disable touch keys on the Aquero 5, not just lowering the sensitivity. So we would not need to tape device to isolate it .

RE: Aquaero 5 XT Capacitive Touch Screen Problem

Montag, 27. Juni 2011, 09:58

Could you do for those who uses IR keyboard, to disable touch keys on the Aquero 5, not just lowering the sensitivity. So we would not need to tape device to isolate it .
It is on the to-do-list but even if that functions sounds easy it takes a bit time so I can not guarantee that it will be available with the next update.

presidio

RE: Aquaero 5 XT Capacitive Touch Screen Problem

Montag, 27. Juni 2011, 12:22

Ok, thank you Shoggy for the info.

Dienstag, 5. Juli 2011, 19:52

I actually think the faceplate was the issue with mine. I found that without the faceplate, I had zero issues. So I then tried to isolate which part of the faceplate was the issue. Turns out, lightly sanding the faceplate where the buttons are resolved my issue. If I nudge the faceplate the wrong way, the issue comes back. But for now it seems to be ok.

Mittwoch, 6. Juli 2011, 04:07

I have the same problem with my Lian Li case. However, its intermittent and I only noticed when I turned the beep tone on for key presses. This happens at random and even when the pc is off I hear the beep tone about 10-20 times and then it stops.

Samstag, 9. Juli 2011, 07:20

I have the 800D and this problem. I can find the sweet spot and it will work for a few days, then I move it even the slightest and it returns. I have the haptick off so I dont hear the sound, but I can see the fan grafic on the fan display stutter. I will try sanding the faceplate slightly and then start messing with the tape.

I was really hoping this wouldnt be so much off a hassle. Been wrestling with this thing for well over a week and now found out I have to watercool the thing to achieve my goals, and that means two of them :(