• 18.04.2024, 21:45
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

iBeta2

Asus Matrix GTX580 - PWM Fans Won't Turn Off

Freitag, 23. Dezember 2011, 01:24

I'm WC'ing a Asus Matrix (Platinum) GTX580. It's non-reference, so am using discrete waterblock(s) plus one of the two original PWM fans to cool the RAM. Astonishingly, Asus has no heatsink attached to the RAM chips - relying on the air passing through the GPU heatpipe fins. I've got Swiftech MC14s on the RAM, and a waterblock epoxied onto the VRM's heatsink - so only one fan needed. Problem is it will not turn off. The Aquaero 5 will increase the fan rpms with temperature, but will not lower it below 20%.

I doubt this is a problem with the Aquaero, and wondered if anyone could confirm that the fans are to blame. If so, is it worth taking them apart and trying to bypass the safety mechanism, or whatever it is?

- Thanks Asus (sarcastic smiley)

Freitag, 23. Dezember 2011, 04:26

eh sorry, misinformation.. I keep getting the 4 pin PWM mixed up with the 3 pin..

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »frank anderson« (23. Dezember 2011, 16:30)

hrmes

Freitag, 23. Dezember 2011, 10:30

As far as I know PWM fans work constantly at 12V. Their speed is regulated only by the PWM signal that is sent through the 4th pin of a 4-pin fan header (not a molex power connector).

I don't know of any PWM fans that actually stop spinning, they may reduce speed to 400-500 RPM but they don't stop. The only way to stop them is to turn off the 12V power to them.

Maybe this could be implemented to Aquaero 5 with a firmware update:

If fan channel 4 is in PWM mode and is given a fan speed value of 0 then turn off the 12V line. Could this be done Shoggy ?

Freitag, 23. Dezember 2011, 11:48

Have you reviewed the minimum power settings for the fans. For example: if you set it to 20% you will never come any lower in the regular fan control since the aquaero will map the minimum and maximum setting into the 0 - 100% range.

So if you would set 50% as minimum and 60% as maximum, a setting of 80% in the regular control would result into a real value of 58%.

iBeta2

Montag, 30. Januar 2012, 01:04

Have you reviewed the minimum power settings for the fans. For example: if you set it to 20% you will never come any lower in the regular fan control since the aquaero will map the minimum and maximum setting into the 0 - 100% range.

So if you would set 50% as minimum and 60% as maximum, a setting of 80% in the regular control would result into a real value of 58%.

This setting seems to have an effect (Beta11) on the fan revolutions at 20%+, but setting it to zero does not turn the fan off.

Sorry about the late reply.

mm67

Montag, 30. Januar 2012, 11:04

PWM fans shouldn't stop when they get no PWM signal, according to specifications they should run at 100 % speed in that case : http://www.formfactors.org/developer/spe…re_PWM_Spec.pdf