• 27.04.2024, 21:07
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

iBeta2

Aquaero5 - PWM Fan Output Problem

Montag, 6. August 2012, 18:52

Am trying to control a graphic card pwm fan using the Aquaero5.

Am now on Beta 15 - which has fixed all previous issues so am not complaining - but there is still no way to turn off the fan. In fact I cannot seem to control the speed at all.
HAve tried to manually adjust using the power slide bar and the maximum rpm text box. In all cases the output rotations are constant.

I hope Aquacomputer will look at this (pwm fan cannot be turned off) at some point.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »iBeta2« (6. August 2012, 21:52)

Montag, 6. August 2012, 23:54

I'm pretty sure that all PWM fans will continue to spin, at a low rpm 500-600, when the PWM signal tells the fan to fully shut off. All of mine do, and it works out well providing very quiet cooling air flow. The PWM fans and their air flow are truly silent at that speed.
Dogs live by four simple rules: Eat, Sleep, Play, Love. The world would be a much better place if we humans lived by only these rules as well.

Dienstag, 7. August 2012, 10:00

It might be possible that your fan is not compatible with the aquaero. The PWM control is following an official specification but not all fans, pumps etc. work according to it.

You could also connect the fan as a normal 3-pin one so you do not have to use the PWM control at all.

iBeta2

Donnerstag, 9. August 2012, 12:18

It might be possible that your fan is not compatible with the aquaero. The PWM control is following an official specification but not all fans, pumps etc. work according to it.
You could also connect the fan as a normal 3-pin one so you do not have to use the PWM control at all.

The fan is designed to work with the ASUS MATRIX GTX580. An air-cooled card would be quickly cooked if the fan turned off, so it could well be Asus designed it not to.
So can I just disconnect the pwm control wire and use it as an analogue fan? That would solve it for me - thanks Shoggy.

I'm pretty sure that all PWM fans will continue to spin, at a low rpm 500-600, when the PWM signal tells the fan to fully shut off. All of mine do, and it works out well providing very quiet cooling air flow. The PWM fans and their air flow are truly silent at that speed.

True, but even if it were totally silent, it still moves a load of dust around.

Donnerstag, 9. August 2012, 17:23

Think that the issue with PWN fans is that the majority are used on CPU coolers and as such are monitored by the mb on the CPU fan header.... if it stops spinning (broken!*!*!) the system shuts down to prevent the CPU overheating. I know most if not all mb's now monitor temps etc... but this is from years ago and the premis has just stuck. I have a few different PWM fans here that I do not use and will try to connect them up over the next few weeks to see if I get the same thing happening as it may just be certain brands that continue to spin.... :)

iBeta2

Mittwoch, 29. August 2012, 21:41

Does this mean that the Aquaero5 will turn PWM fans completely off, if they follow some standard specifications? I do not mean to seem sceptical, but all of the posts on the subject seem to be about the fans not turning off.

On edit - just altered the radio button from pwm to rpm and the fan does work.
Are you saying that all PWM fans can be connected in this way? That would be great in this case.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »iBeta2« (29. August 2012, 22:09)

iBeta2

Mittwoch, 29. August 2012, 21:46

I have a few different PWM fans here that I do not use and will try to connect them up over the next few weeks to see if I get the same thing happening as it may just be certain brands that continue to spin.

Thanks. Did you find any that stopped spinning?

Mittwoch, 29. August 2012, 22:51

Hey, sorry I have not yet, I have not had the time, will try to do as soon as possible but will not be until next week now.

iBeta2

Mittwoch, 29. August 2012, 23:50

Just wondered. Personally am not that bothered now 'cos am using it analogue.

But I think that AC could include an option that would disconnect current to the fan at a certain temp. In this way any pwm fan would turn off. This is how they turn analogue fans off, so the hardware must be there.

Donnerstag, 6. September 2012, 13:03

Does this mean that the Aquaero5 will turn PWM fans completely off, if they follow some standard specifications? I do not mean to seem sceptical, but all of the posts on the subject seem to be about the fans not turning off.
When you use the 4th fan channel in PWM mode than it always supplies 12V and the real speed of the fan is controlled via the PWM signal so the fan internally controls its speed. When there is no PWM signal given, than normally this type of fan runs with 100% as a fall back option.

iBeta2

Dienstag, 11. September 2012, 22:00

When you use the 4th fan channel in PWM mode than it always supplies 12V and the real speed of the fan is controlled via the PWM signal so the fan internally controls its speed. When there is no PWM signal given, than normally this type of fan runs with 100% as a fall back option.

Mine seems to run at about 40% fallback, but I do not question that this is how pwm fans work. But I cannot see why an optional setting could not allow the Aquaero to shut off the 12V rail at a specific lower pwm level. Otherwise it seems just a gimmick, in that surely the objective of every watercooled system is to be able to turn off all fans, when they are not needed.
But I am not complaining - every thing now works perfectly (using the pwm as rpm) and the new Aquasuite/Aquaero system is great.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »iBeta2« (11. September 2012, 22:04)

Mittwoch, 12. September 2012, 09:31

This feature was already available in older firmware versions and we removed it in newer versions because several customers complained about it since their fans did not work like expected.