• 18.04.2024, 08:05
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Please help -- Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM with Quadro and Aquaero 6 XT

Mittwoch, 21. November 2018, 09:44

Hi there!

I am building a system with two watercooling loops (one for CPU, one for triple GPU), four 560mm radiators and 32x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM fans (8 fans per radiator in a push pull setup). Two radiators (16 total fans) will cool the CPU loop, and the other two radiators (remaining 16 fans) will cool the GPU loop. All of this will be powered by an EVGA 1600 watt T2 powersupply.

These are the Aquacomputer components I currently have:

1x Aquaero 6 XT
2x D5 Next RGB (one for the CPU loop, one for the triple GPU loop)
1x Hubby7
4x Splitty9 (bought these with different fans in mind, not currently planning to use them)

The end goal is to connect an aquabus Y splitter cable from the "aquabus high" header of the Aquaero to the two pumps so that I can get temperature readings from them, and then use the Aquaero to create an independent fan curve for each loop.

Here is where I need advice as I am afraid to proceed and potentially destroy equipment:

I want to buy two Quadro devices and connect them to my Aquaero. Each Quadro will control 16 fans total. To accomplish this I will connect each channel of the Quadro to a 4-way PWM splitter cable and then connect the cable ends to the 16 fans. From Noctua's website, I get the following power and current specs for each NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM fan:

Max. Input Power
6,6 W

Max. Input Current
0,55 A

Voltage
12 V

If I connect four of these fans to each Quadro channel, the combined max input power would be 26.4W per channel, which is more than the 25W per channel the Quadro is rated at. Am I going to burn out my Quadro or possibly damage the fans? I don't ever plan to run these at 100%, but my understanding of PWM fans is that they will pulse on and off cyclically at 100% power to maintain the RPM specified by a fan curve. If this is the case, every time they pulse ON I would be running 26.4W through the channel, correct?

Is it reliable or even safe to do what I'm planning? Would it be smarter to skip the Quadros and buy a second Aquaero 6 XT so that I can use the eight 36W PWM channels (using passive heatsinks) from the two Aquaeros for my eight groups of fans? Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any advice you can give me!

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Sarne« (21. November 2018, 10:25)

Donnerstag, 22. November 2018, 23:26

Am I going to burn out my Quadro or possibly damage the fans?
The Quadro has an over current protection. if the fans use too much power, the Quadro will turn off and the fans stop spinning. Nothing burns and no damage is done to your hardware.
To reset the over current protection, you have to remove the Quadro from the power supply. Then the Quadro works again.
The Aquaero has an over current protection too, so the hardware is safe.

Freitag, 23. November 2018, 07:21

Thank you, Hufeisen! After reading your reply and doing some critical thinking I've decided to buy a second Aquaero 6 XT for four extra PWM channels and a higher safe output level. I was able to get one on sale and felt it would be the safest solution to keep everything running. I'm going to use 4 fan PWM splitter cables to pair 4 of these fans to each channel of the two Aquaero 6 XTs, using 26.4W max per channel. I'm adding passive heatsinks on the Aquaeros to raise the max safe output, giving myself more headroom just in case.

The over current protection started making me think of all sorts of other possibilities that would happen in the event the protection is triggered and the Quadro shuts down. If the fans shut down my cooling loops become useless and the CPU/GPUs are threatened. I work 10-14 hours a day and the computer will stay on 24/7, so if the fans stop spinning I could come back to all sorts of heat-related problems and it would kill me to lose an entire system that I've worked on and researched for so long only because I wanted to save $90 on my fan controllers.

If anyone else has any input I'd appreciate it, as well. Thank you again!

Freitag, 23. November 2018, 10:48

You can buy an Aquaero 6 LT without a display to save some money.

Then set the Aquaero with the Fans into Slave Mode. This allows you to control the Fans with your main Aquaero.

Montag, 26. November 2018, 17:01

Thank you, Hufeisen! After reading your reply and doing some critical thinking I've decided to buy a second Aquaero 6 XT for four extra PWM channels and a higher safe output level. I was able to get one on sale and felt it would be the safest solution to keep everything running. I'm going to use 4 fan PWM splitter cables to pair 4 of these fans to each channel of the two Aquaero 6 XTs, using 26.4W max per channel. I'm adding passive heatsinks on the Aquaeros to raise the max safe output, giving myself more headroom just in case.

The over current protection started making me think of all sorts of other possibilities that would happen in the event the protection is triggered and the Quadro shuts down. If the fans shut down my cooling loops become useless and the CPU/GPUs are threatened. I work 10-14 hours a day and the computer will stay on 24/7, so if the fans stop spinning I could come back to all sorts of heat-related problems and it would kill me to lose an entire system that I've worked on and researched for so long only because I wanted to save $90 on my fan controllers.

If anyone else has any input I'd appreciate it, as well. Thank you again!
one Aquaero 6 XT is more than enough to control upto 40 fans then why another one

Dienstag, 27. November 2018, 04:00

To be honest your issue starts there :

Zitat

I am building a system with two watercooling loops (one for CPU, one for triple GPU), four 560mm radiators and 32x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM fans (8 fans per radiator in a push pull setup). Two radiators (16 total fans) will cool the CPU loop, and the other two radiators (remaining 16 fans) will cool the GPU loop. All of this will be powered by an EVGA 1600 watt T2 powersupply.
Your PC could easily be watercooled with one 360 rad for the CPU with 3 fans (NF-A12 for example) and 2 x 420 Rads for the 3 Gpus with 8 fans, all of that connected into a single loop or if you really want a separate loop, but this would already be overkill. One single Aquaero6XT would easily suffice for this setup to be honest.
Even with your 4 rads setup, One side of fan would be enough and If I were you I'd put 3 rads for the 3 GPUs and only one for the CPU.
I'm pretty sure the 3 Rads 11 fans setup I give you is able to get the same temps than the 4 Rads 32 fans that you want to build.
I have a setup with 2 Rads (360 + 420) for both CPU (7700K all cores @ 5GHz) and GPU(1080ti @ 2076MHz) in a single loop and my water temp at full load is at 3°C higher than the room temperature with fans at 2000rpm in normal use I set the curve so the water temp stays at a delta T°C of 7°C under load with that setting the temperature of the GPU is 40-41°C and water temp is 31°C (room temp is 24°C thanks to the PC heating it) without load the GPU is at 28-29°C and water temp is 28°C and the noisiest component is the 4 disks raid array which i only hear when disks are working.

Dienstag, 27. November 2018, 06:00

Thanks for the replies!

Zitat

You can buy an Aquaero 6 LT without a display to save some money. Then set the Aquaero with the Fans into Slave Mode. This allows you to control the Fans with your main Aquaero.
I thought about this for a while but I went with the XT for symmetry on the case, mainly.

Zitat

Your PC could easily be watercooled with one 360 rad for the CPU with 3 fans (NF-A12 for example) and 2 x 420 Rads for the 3 Gpus with 8 fans, all of that connected into a single loop or if you really want a separate loop, but this would already be overkill. One single Aquaero6XT would easily suffice for this setup to be honest.
I knew this was overkill from the get go. This started a month ago when my AIO Threadripper cooler began failing and instead of replacing the cooler I replaced my Obsidian 900D with a CaseLabs THW10 and began a journey to fill the whole case out with watercooling equipment. This is much more of a want for me than an actual need. I have always been greatly impressed with the thermal performance of proper watercooling (AIOs are neat but I always wanted to try actual loops and when the AIO failed it gave me the perfect excuse). That, coupled with my enjoyment of building and working on things was enough to justify the grossly exorbitant quad 560 radiator, 32 radiator fan + 4 case fan setup. My worry was getting all of the fans to work properly as they are so power hungry.

I know this is subjective and everyone has her own taste, but I've yet to find a case as functional and aesthetically pleasing as the THW10. It's only fitting to outfit such a goliath with enough radiators to cool a city bus! My plan is to mate this with an SVS PB16-Ultra in a 3.1 setup (eventually 7.2) and for the computer and subwoofer to be the highlight of an AV oasis!

Zitat

I have a setup with 2 Rads (360 + 420) for both CPU (7700K all cores @ 5GHz) and GPU(1080ti @ 2076MHz) in a single loop and my water temp at full load is at 3°C higher than the room temperature with fans at 2000rpm in normal use I set the curve so the water temp stays at a delta T°C of 7°C under load with that setting the temperature of the GPU is 40-41°C and water temp is 31°C (room temp is 24°C thanks to the PC heating it) without load the GPU is at 28-29°C and water temp is 28°C and the noisiest component is the 4 disks raid array which i only hear when disks are working.
Very impressive! Did you go with a reference 1080 Ti or a different brand? Is there any difference at all in terms of overclocking performance when going with a third party brand (EVGA, MSI etc) over reference if you use it in a loop? I understand all of the unique cooling setups each brand develops but if you strip it down to the PCB and add a waterblock does it really matter who "made" the card? Also, what fans did you go with?

Dienstag, 27. November 2018, 09:18

Zitat

one Aquaero 6 XT is more than enough to control upto 40 fans then why another one
I bought the second Aquaero 6 XT because each fan draws up to 6.6W of power and the channels on the Aquaero can only handle 30W stock, 36W with heatsink, or (from what I've read) 40W with liquid cooling. It's also powered by a MOLEX connector which caps out at 11A/132W on 12V. 32 fans at 6.6W each would run too much current and cause issues.

Adding another Aquaero was the best way I could think of to power the fans and setup fan curves with a good PWM hardware controller. It was very important to me to have a piece of hardware that can manage fan curves for the loops. Plus the second display from the XT version adds a nice touch of symmetry to my case. 8o 8o

Samstag, 28. Dezember 2019, 04:12

Are you able to connect more then 4 of these to one channel? Anytime I daisy chain more then 1 of them together I lose all PWM control. Connecting just one fan and I can control it again.