• 27.04.2024, 11:49
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Need advice regarding temp sensors for pump & fan settings

Mittwoch, 6. Januar 2021, 18:33

Hello everyone,
first of all, Happy New Year to you all :D

I'm almost done with my build and I was wondering if you guys can help me decide if buying additional temp sensors is needed.
My goal basically is to make my PC silent so I entered the world of watercooling.

Anyhow, here's my setup so far.Res(D5 Next) > GPU > 360Rad >CPU > 360Rad> Res

*Rads are in push/pull
*Fans are controlled by the Octo
*Farbwerk for a lil bit of bling bling :whistling:

What's the ideal pump & fan config?
Should it be based in water temp, ambient air or both?

*temp sensor placement advice
I've got 2 external air temp sensors and have no clue where to put em ?(

Should I also get inline temp sensors to be installed in the output of both rads?

Thanks in advance!

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »ae111James« (6. Januar 2021, 18:34)

Donnerstag, 7. Januar 2021, 07:00

Control fan speed according to water temperature. Pump speed doesn't affect water temperature, but it can affect how well cooling blocks perform. Good rule of thumb is to keep water temperature below 40C. Why 40? It is considered a safe number to stay below in order to minimize bacteria grow or tube disformation. With pump speed you need to experiment. It's fine to set the pump speed to a level you find it's cooling capability to be enough and not disturbingly loud. You can start with 50% speed with D5, and make adjustments from there.

If you want to calculate heat dissipation power, you can do that with multiple water temp sensor+ambient sensor but that isn't necessary in terms of fan speed or pump speed control. It's more of a "nice to know and monitor".

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Kuminauha« (7. Januar 2021, 07:01)

Freitag, 8. Januar 2021, 12:28

Control fan speed according to water temperature. Pump speed doesn't affect water temperature, but it can affect how well cooling blocks perform. Good rule of thumb is to keep water temperature below 40C. Why 40? It is considered a safe number to stay below in order to minimize bacteria grow or tube disformation. With pump speed you need to experiment. It's fine to set the pump speed to a level you find it's cooling capability to be enough and not disturbingly loud. You can start with 50% speed with D5, and make adjustments from there.

If you want to calculate heat dissipation power, you can do that with multiple water temp sensor+ambient sensor but that isn't necessary in terms of fan speed or pump speed control. It's more of a "nice to know and monitor".

Thank you so much for the infos!
Btw, what do you use to get the water temp reading? Do you use in-line sensors or just the D5 next pump?

Freitag, 8. Januar 2021, 14:32

I use simple 10k thermal sensor taped to a fitting. It's basically the same sensor that come with quadro or octo units. The inline sensor are constructed basically the same way, attaching a sensor to a fitting, only a slightly neater way. But if the fitting is out of sight, I don't see any reason to use inline sensor.

Not the exact model but similar:
https://www.aquatuning.de/wasserkuehlung…or-einzeln-90cm

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Kuminauha« (8. Januar 2021, 14:40)

RE: Need advice regarding temp sensors for pump & fan settings

Freitag, 8. Januar 2021, 15:32

Hello everyone,
first of all, Happy New Year to you all :D

I'm almost done with my build and I was wondering if you guys can help me decide if buying additional temp sensors is needed.
My goal basically is to make my PC silent so I entered the world of watercooling.

Anyhow, here's my setup so far.Res(D5 Next) > GPU > 360Rad >CPU > 360Rad> Res

*Rads are in push/pull
*Fans are controlled by the Octo
*Farbwerk for a lil bit of bling bling :whistling:

What's the ideal pump & fan config?
Should it be based in water temp, ambient air or both?

This will get you as many different answers as there are people ;)

My self, I use coolant/ambient-air delta. Ambient air temperature influences a radiators ability to control coolant temperature. For instance there are places in the world around the equatorial band that can reach 45C, or higher, and the radiator will not be able to take the coolant below ambient temperature, with only fans to transfer heat to ambient air.

In high ambient temperatures with fan control dependent on coolant temperature only, the fans will be rotating full RPM at a point well before they have an effect.
With the delta option, they will work as much as needed when useful.

Zitat

*temp sensor placement advice
I've got 2 external air temp sensors and have no clue where to put em ?(

Generally one external/ambient sensor is sufficient.
Placement can be anywhere outside the system where it will be least influenced from heat created by the system (including radiated heat from radiators}.

Zitat

Should I also get inline temp sensors to be installed in the output of both rads?

Thanks in advance!

One is probably all that is needed, but if you place one behind each radiator, you can use the hotest one for the coolant/ambient-air delta.
I do like purpose designed coolant temperature sensors, because tape in a 'hot' environment tends to fail over time.

Freitag, 8. Januar 2021, 23:40

Yes its true that somewhere people have very high ambient temperature. But over 40C inside? Someone who has hundreds of dollars to spend on water cooling parts probably has living conditions that include climate control if the local climate is that hot, just making guesses :rolleyes: .

And the water delta is also very nice way to control fan speed. At idle my water delta is about 8C and gaming about 14C. The PID control I use, has a water temp target at 38C. Fans usually wont go past 1100rpm (ML120's) during gaming. At idle the fans run as low as they can, about 450rpm, wich is dead silent to my ears.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Kuminauha« (8. Januar 2021, 23:43)

Samstag, 9. Januar 2021, 07:48

"This will get you as many different answers as there are people ;)"

My self, I use coolant/ambient-air delta. Ambient air temperature influences a radiators ability to control coolant temperature. For instance there are places in the world around the equatorial band that can reach 45C, or higher, and the radiator will not be able to take the coolant below ambient temperature, with only fans to transfer heat to ambient air.
In high ambient temperatures with fan control dependent on coolant
temperature only, the fans will be rotating full RPM at a point well
before they have an effect.
With the delta option, they will work as much as needed when useful.

Sorry for the question. Not trying to start a flame or something. Just wanted to know everyones preference :D

Anyhow, I'm in Germany and in my apartment, the temp is usually just 15-20 for all year long. Last summer, I think I had an ambient 20-25 for just a couple of days so i guess it shouldn't be a problem.

Zitat

Generally one external/ambient sensor is sufficient.
Placement
can be anywhere outside the system where it will be least influenced
from heat created by the system (including radiated heat from
radiators}.
What do you think is better? a sensor behind the rear exhaust fan or behind the front rad?

Zitat

One is probably all that is needed, but if you
place one behind each radiator, you can use the hotest one for the
coolant/ambient-air delta.
I do like purpose designed coolant temperature sensors, because tape in a 'hot' environment tends to fail over time.

Isn't it D5 Next pump can also read temps? Will that be enough plus an ambient sensor perhaps?