• 25.04.2024, 15:55
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Mounting Guide for OCTO

Samstag, 26. Juni 2021, 09:48

Well, I just fried my brand new OCTO. DIdn't understand how to mount it and ended up screwing it in like you would an ssd. Ended up frying it like that with a fair bit of fire as well. Pretty sure it was due to the way I mounted it. Could anyone point me towards resources for mounting the OCTO, as I could not find any? Guess I'll have to reorder it in the meanwhile.

RE: Mounting Guide for OCTO

Samstag, 26. Juni 2021, 10:46

Well, I just fried my brand new OCTO. DIdn't understand how to mount it and ended up screwing it in like you would an ssd. Ended up frying it like that with a fair bit of fire as well. Pretty sure it was due to the way I mounted it. Could anyone point me towards resources for mounting the OCTO, as I could not find any? Guess I'll have to reorder it in the meanwhile.
You've read the manual here, didn't you? https://aquacomputer.de/handbuecher.html…TO_englisch.pdf

Be sure to keep the plastic cover at the bottom, otherwise metal touching it's circuit board will fry it. And also make sure that you plug in the USB connector in the right way on the motherboard socket. Please read the manual for details!
Intel 12900K - Asus Maximus z690 Formula - 2x16 GB G.Skill DDR5 6000/36 - NVidia RTX 4090 FE
Acer Predator x27 - Thermaltake Core P5 - Corsair HX850i
-> Bilder und weitere Details <-

RE: RE: Mounting Guide for OCTO

Samstag, 26. Juni 2021, 12:02

You've read the manual here, didn't you? https://aquacomputer.de/handbuecher.html…TO_englisch.pdf

Be sure to keep the plastic cover at the bottom, otherwise metal touching it's circuit board will fry it. And also make sure that you plug in the USB connector in the right way on the motherboard socket. Please read the manual for details!
Well it was the first thing I looked at. But the manual doesn't specify how the screws should be attached, with the thread of the screw going into the OCTO or into the case. What I ended up doing is putting the threads into the OCTO and using the provided nuts to fasten it. The nut is ever so slightly taller than the screw. So the nut made contact with the metal (?) front plate of the OCTO. I kept the rubber case thingy on. Though after a while of searching I have found a second long scene of how the screws go in. Incase anyone is looking for the same thing. So yeah, you are meant to put the thread into the case. Thanks for the reply though, the manual is detailed, but not when it comes to the mounting.

RE: RE: RE: Mounting Guide for OCTO

Samstag, 26. Juni 2021, 14:27

Well it was the first thing I looked at. But the manual doesn't specify how the screws should be attached, with the thread of the screw going into the OCTO or into the case. What I ended up doing is putting the threads into the OCTO and using the provided nuts to fasten it. The nut is ever so slightly taller than the screw. So the nut made contact with the metal (?) front plate of the OCTO. I kept the rubber case thingy on. Though after a while of searching I have found a second long scene of how the screws go in. Incase anyone is looking for the same thing. So yeah, you are meant to put the thread into the case. Thanks for the reply though, the manual is detailed, but not when it comes to the mounting.

You may want to continue looking for the source of your catastrophic failure, because having the mounting screws make contact with the aluminum cover of the OCTO should NOT be the source.

The aluminum cover is held above the PCB of the OCTO by a ledge on the inside of the rubber casing. (Ledge.jpg)
If properly installed, the cover does not contact any part of the PCB, and it matters not if it is shorted to the case.
And even if laid directly on the PCB with out the rubber mounting, the aluminum cover appears to make contact with the top of chips/resistors before touching any terminal points on the PCB.