• 26.04.2024, 05:25
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Using AquaSuite in a VM - how can I prevent it attempting low-level hardware monitoring?

Sonntag, 22. August 2021, 09:34

Firstly - I know running AquaSuite in a VM is not supported! So I'm looking for help if anyone's managed it, but don't blame AquaComputer for the problem.

I'm finding that while the software works for 10 minutes, it will then crash the VM with a "VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR" blue screen.

When I Googled "VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR qemu" (qemu being the thing running the VM), there's a clear pattern - it's tools like Corsairs ICUE, or MSI Afterburner attempting low-level hardware monitoring. Obviously in a VM that depends on whether the VM host is emulating that properly or not.

In Afterburner in particular, there's an option to disable that particular function, so I was looking for similar in AquaSuite.

I found:

• The 'Analyze audio/video' settings. And turned those off. I suspected the video part in particular might be what's causing the DirectX system calls.
  • In the 'Background service' menu, I turned off all monitoring. Again, I thought the "Graphics card" option might be the culprit

Having turned those off though, I still get the issues.Does anyone know what aspect of the client or background services might be making low level DirectX calls? I've switched off all such monitoring, and I have no virtual sensors based off video card data.

To reiterate, I don't expect AquaComputer support to help or officially support this. I'd just like to hear from anyyone that's been able to work around it.

For context, I have a Linux machine, with occasional Windows VM gaming (passing through a GPU). I'm currently working around it by having AquaSuite run in yet another VM, that I don't mind crashes after 10 minutes.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »marcosscriven« (22. August 2021, 09:35)

Aquasuite Hardware Monitor check boxes

Sonntag, 22. August 2021, 18:52

You may want to double check that AquaSuite (AQS) hardware monitoring is really disabled. I use HWINFO to poll sensors and pull that data into AQS. I don't need or want AQS also polling sensors as it is redundant. In the Service tab I have all 7 Hardware Monitor boxes unchecked. Many times (but not always), when I start up AQS, I find that ALL of the AQS hardware monitoring data is available, even though none of the 7 hardware monitor boxes are checked in the Service tab. If I then check any one of those 7 boxes and then uncheck it, then none of the AQS hardware monitor data is available. I posted a thread about this HERE but never got a response. It seems that when AQS is started, it will often (but not always) have Hardware Monitor sensor polling enabled even though none of the Hardware Monitor boxes are checked. Checking then unchecking any one of them will disable all of them.

I first noticed this with version X.40 but X.42 also does this. I don't know if this is specific to my system or a program bug. It's frustrating because it does not do this every time, and when I posted about it I got no response.This may be something worth checking out in your situation. You uncheck all 7 boxes and then assume that all AQS hardware monitoring is disabled, but maybe it really isn't disabled. If you also find this occurring please post your findings here as I would really like someone else to validate what I am seeing happen. If more than one person observes this behavior, maybe Aquacomputer will look into this and respond, Good luck!

RE: Aquasuite Hardware Monitor check boxes

Sonntag, 22. August 2021, 23:30

You may want to double check that AquaSuite (AQS) hardware monitoring is really disabled. I use HWINFO to poll sensors and pull that data into AQS. I don't need or want AQS also polling sensors as it is redundant. In the Service tab I have all 7 Hardware Monitor boxes unchecked. Many times (but not always), when I start up AQS, I find that ALL of the AQS hardware monitoring data is available, even though none of the 7 hardware monitor boxes are checked in the Service tab. If I then check any one of those 7 boxes and then uncheck it, then none of the AQS hardware monitor data is available. I posted a thread about this HERE but never got a response. It seems that when AQS is started, it will often (but not always) have Hardware Monitor sensor polling enabled even though none of the Hardware Monitor boxes are checked. Checking then unchecking any one of them will disable all of them.

I first noticed this with version X.40 but X.42 also does this. I don't know if this is specific to my system or a program bug. It's frustrating because it does not do this every time, and when I posted about it I got no response.This may be something worth checking out in your situation. You uncheck all 7 boxes and then assume that all AQS hardware monitoring is disabled, but maybe it really isn't disabled. If you also find this occurring please post your findings here as I would really like someone else to validate what I am seeing happen. If more than one person observes this behavior, maybe Aquacomputer will look into this and respond, Good luck!

The good news is yes, I can replicate the behaviour you're seeing. With all checkboxes off, the hardware sensors are still available, and doing the check/uncheck removes them.

However, it doesn't fix my issue unfortunately. There's still *something* making a low-level call to the OS kernel, and given it's DXG, I suspect it's trying to do some GPU lookup - perhaps just for analytics.

RE: RE: Aquasuite Hardware Monitor check boxes

Montag, 23. August 2021, 05:16

The good news is yes, I can replicate the behaviour you're seeing. With all checkboxes off, the hardware sensors are still available, and doing the check/uncheck removes them.

However, it doesn't fix my issue unfortunately. There's still *something* making a low-level call to the OS kernel, and given it's DXG, I suspect it's trying to do some GPU lookup - perhaps just for analytics.

Thank You for confirming that I am not crazy and you are seeing the same thing, After starting AQS, hardware monitoring is active when none of the 7 Hardware Monitor boxes are checked in the Service tab. Checking then unchecking any one of them makes all of them stop reporting. For me this is more of an annoyance, but I thought it could be causing your problem.As I said before, it does not happen every time, but it is now something I check every time I start AQS. More often than not, I find the AQS hardware monitors active when they should not be. Hopefully the mods will see this and respond. Once they confirm a bug, they are very good at having them fixed in the next release. I am sorry this is not solving your VM problem. Hopefully they can get this resolved for you too.

I have also been having trouble with my Octo Alarm tab. I have an alarm checked for Octo fan port 4 only, but many times I open AQS and check the Octo Alarm tab and find alarms active for other Octo fan ports that I absolutely did not check. and sometimes the one I did check (port 4) is not checked. This problem is also not consistent. Anyway, I don't mean to hijack your thread with my AQS issues. I thought maybe your problem was being caused by hardware polling being active when it should not be. AQS making a low level DXG call to the OS kernel may be an intended operation and not a bug. You will need Aquacomputer to chime in to know. Good luck!

Remayz

Montag, 23. August 2021, 05:36

just FYI, i looked at data quick view and i see the same issue. HW monitoring is active despite all boxes being unticked. toggling disables them. (X.42)

Montag, 23. August 2021, 18:36

just FYI, i looked at data quick view and i see the same issue. HW monitoring is active despite all boxes being unticked. toggling disables them. (X.42)

Thank you for confirming this. Now there are 3 users all seeing the same behavior in Aquasuite. Checking this in Data Quick View is easier than the way I was checking it so thanks for that. I noticed this in X.40 and it still happens in X.42, but it is not consistent. I see AQS hardware monitoring is active even though none of the Hardware Monitor boxes are checked in the Service tab most times I start AQS, but not every time. I have not figured out any pattern to it. Hopefully a mod will respond now that there are 3 people reporting this issue. If they don't I will try making a new thread about this issue again because I don't want to hijack OPs post about his VM issue. Maybe they are skipping right by this thread since running AQS on a VM is not supported. My original post about this that no one responded to is HERE

I am also hoping they will respond to my Octo Alarm issue that I described above (Alarm checked for Octo fan port 4 only. Start AQS and find that Alarm is checked for Octo fan ports that I did not check. Alarm box for Octo fan port 4 sometimes checked, sometimes not.) The alarm works great but not if the box check disappears. What good is an Alarm that sometimes gets deactivated?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Speedy-VI« (23. August 2021, 18:40)

Dienstag, 24. August 2021, 07:23

I can confirm the issue with the hardware Monitoring Enable/Disable behavior. In the next aquasuite Version this is fixed.

The aquasuite is checking the attached Displays and do this via DXGI. This is a part of directx 9..12 API.

Dienstag, 24. August 2021, 17:34

I can confirm the issue with the hardware Monitoring Enable/Disable behavior. In the next aquasuite Version this is fixed.

The aquasuite is checking the attached Displays and do this via DXGI. This is a part of directx 9..12 API.

Thank you for confirming this bug. I really thought it was something that I was doing wrong because it does not always happen. This is my first build using Aquacomputer products, so while I am learning, I am by no means an expert. I am kind of surprised that someone else who is more experienced than me did not notice this hardware sensor issue. I look forward to the next release with this bug fixed, and remain hopeful that you will also investigate the Octo Alarm issue I described above. I can post it in a separate thread if that would help. As for OP's issue with the DXGI calls, it sounds like this is not a bug and not something that can be easily rectified. Perhaps there is a work around but this is out of my area of expertise.

Mittwoch, 25. August 2021, 07:46

I am also hoping they will respond to my Octo Alarm issue that I described above (Alarm checked for Octo fan port 4 only. Start AQS and find that Alarm is checked for Octo fan ports that I did not check. Alarm box for Octo fan port 4 sometimes checked, sometimes not.)
Currently we cant reproduce this issue. In the next release a few things changed. Possibly this problem is also solved.

Mittwoch, 25. August 2021, 12:14

Hi Sebastian

I completely understand if you can't, but is there a way to make this check optional, or in any way controllable at all please? Or perhaps there's a way in the DXGI API to check capabilities before using them?

Mittwoch, 25. August 2021, 12:30

In the next version we check this only when you have Enabled the video analyzer in the media settings.
This is default On.

you can change this in the file:

Quellcode

C:\ProgramData\aquasuite-data\Settings_VideoAnalyzer.xml

and set:

Quellcode

false

Audio:

Quellcode

C:\ProgramData\aquasuite-data\Settings_AudioAnalyzer.xml

Mittwoch, 25. August 2021, 13:44

you can change this in the file:

Thanks Sebastian - I looked at these files, and the only boolean I can find in there is already set to false:

Quellcode

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<VideoAnalyzer xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
  <IsEnabled>false</IsEnabled>
  <DeviceLinks />
  <CaptureSources>
    <VideoCaptureSetup>
      <AdapterName>Microsoft Basic Render Driver</AdapterName>
      <AdapterDeviceId>140</AdapterDeviceId>
      <OutputDeviceName>\\.\DISPLAY1</OutputDeviceName>
      <Name>Microsoft Basic Render Driver (1), Monitor: 1 (1920x1200)</Name>
      <FrameRate>20</FrameRate>
      <BorderDetection>50</BorderDetection>
      <Id>95d64128-6c90-4ef1-9513-8e5b6147d9d6</Id>
    </VideoCaptureSetup>
  </CaptureSources>
  <Analyzer />
</VideoAnalyzer>

That display is actually the VM's emulated display.

I also tried just replacing the 'CaptureSources' tag:

Quellcode

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<VideoAnalyzer xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
  <IsEnabled>false</IsEnabled>
  <DeviceLinks />
  <CaptureSources />

</CaptureSources>
  <Analyzer />
</VideoAnalyzer>

But something still causes the VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR.

Note, the behaviour is the same even on a real video card that's passed through to the VM.

Mittwoch, 25. August 2021, 13:46

In the next version

Mittwoch, 25. August 2021, 17:50

Got it, sorry.

I thought you meant right now you could manually hack the XML, and that the next version it would just work in the software.

Donnerstag, 26. August 2021, 00:49

I am also hoping they will respond to my Octo Alarm issue that I described above (Alarm checked for Octo fan port 4 only. Start AQS and find that Alarm is checked for Octo fan ports that I did not check. Alarm box for Octo fan port 4 sometimes checked, sometimes not.)
Currently we cant reproduce this issue. In the next release a few things changed. Possibly this problem is also solved.

Thank you for looking into the Octo Alarm issue. I have updated to X.43 and so far it is working properly. If I see it happen again I will post an update.

Donnerstag, 26. August 2021, 06:48

In the next version

I updated and my VM has been stable for an hour now. Thank you!

Donnerstag, 26. August 2021, 20:47

In the next version

I updated and my VM has been stable for an hour now. Thank you!

Glad to hear this is working for you now. The Hardware Monitoring and my Octo Alarm check boxes are also behaving. Happy Days !!!

Freitag, 27. August 2021, 10:43

@marcosscriven Could you share some details on which distro and software (+version) you used? I am interested in learning how and if it's possible, would be neat to quickly dive into a vm and save some profiles or check sensor data. I'm having almost no results with monitoring apps on cinnamon (ubuntu-based).

Freitag, 27. August 2021, 11:01

@marcosscriven Could you share some details on which distro and software (+version) you used? I am interested in learning how and if it's possible, would be neat to quickly dive into a vm and save some profiles or check sensor data. I'm having almost no results with monitoring apps on cinnamon (ubuntu-based).

I'm using Proxmox 7 https://www.proxmox.com/en/ - I like it as I don't need a desktop all the time, and when I do, it's just the Windows VM with a GPU passed through.

Proxmox is also great as it includes a stable Debian core, while also having the latest Qemu/KVM versions.

Freitag, 27. August 2021, 14:56

I'm using Proxmox 7 https://www.proxmox.com/en/ - I like it as I don't need a desktop all the time, and when I do, it's just the Windows VM with a GPU passed through.

Proxmox is also great as it includes a stable Debian core, while also having the latest Qemu/KVM versions.
Thanks for the link! Can I also ask whether it's possible to use it with a single GPU? Based on what I've read around, it seems that 2 gpu's are required (for host and subsequent guest instances), but I'm not quite sure. There wasn't any clear consensus so that's why I'm asking.