• 19.04.2024, 12:50
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Questions RE: DP Coolant after small disaster (D5 Next)

Donnerstag, 26. August 2021, 00:01

Hi, I have a build that is about 6 mos old in which...
the Singlularity D5 Protium Acrylic Top cracked and leaked into my D5 Next pump.
The RGB ring (accessory) which was plugged into the D5 Next shorted before I was able to shut things down,
but the D5 Next (and it's own RGB) was still functioning at the time I shut things down. (I'm hoping it's still ok)

After buying a new EK Kinetic TBE combo/Top/Reservoir and tearing things apart in order to rebuild, I've noticed a film inside my tubing
and in the old reservoir which led to some further googling on the subject.

I chose DP Ultra based on recommendations and the fact that the D5 Next's flow meter is calibrated for it.
However, I now see the Ethylene Glycol base along with my uninformed decision to use PETG hard tubing was a bad idea.

I have a decision to make now and was hoping someone could provide some advice.
Either I switch to a non-Ethylene Glycol based coolant or switch to acrylic tubing (or chromed copper/brass).

If I switch to a different coolant, how will this affect the D5 Next flow meter? Will it still be useful if perhaps offset by a certain amount?

If I re-tube with acrylic, can I be certain I won't have this film on the inside of the tubes/reservoir?
I'm slightly concerned because the Protium Top/Reservoir was supposedly "acrylic" - however the inside of that reservoir looked terrible..
with a 'film' of sorts and in addition, with the top cracking as it did (multiple fractures throughout), I'm feeling a bit wary of
an ethylene glycol based coolant at this point.

Would appreciate any experienced advice..

Thanks much.

Remayz

Donnerstag, 26. August 2021, 00:17

there's two things to be aware of :
PETG (which, i always say should be reserved for water bottles, and not watercooling ^^) melts with glycol, as you observed..
Acrylic can crack when in contact with alcohols.
The only thing you should NOT do with acrylic is clean the tubes and reservoirs with IPA, window cleaner, or any product with alcohol.

Acrylic is compatible with every coolant out there, glycol based or not. If you go for plastic tubing (again in my opinion), that's the only way to go :)
It's also clearer than PETG so it will look better, as a bonus.

Donnerstag, 26. August 2021, 08:32

Thanks.. so I've decided to re-tool with acrylic..
and after looking at the reservoir of my Protium I'm going to move to a non-ethylene glycol based coolant to boot.

Basically, I want my tubing and coolant to appear crystal clear and I think a simple type formula is more appealing.

So now, I'm just wondering about the D5 Next flow meter.

If I'm using say.... Mayhems X1 (?) How 'off' will the D5Next Flow meter be?

*note - I'll buy the 'High Flow Next' if it EVER appears for sale in the US near retail prices.

But.. until then, if anyone has offsets or correlated info on the D5Next flow meter with alternate coolants,
I'd be interested in an attempt to make that function useful in the interim.

thx again :)

Donnerstag, 26. August 2021, 11:19

This is really disturbing me, as I'm actually using PETG hard tubes. Nowhere have I read before that it could create a problem with DP Ultra.

So far I haven't seen any issue and nothing looks like it's metling. But now I'm really concerned. PETG is used quite regularly for Hardtubing, and I wonder how this could be that either DP Ultra is incompatible with it and that's not mentioned anywhere (I'm aware of) and/or that they're offering Hardtubes made of PETG even though they will cause problems with the usual fluids on the market.

One cannot expect every customer to check for every chemical incompatibility!
Intel 12900K - Asus Maximus z690 Formula - 2x16 GB G.Skill DDR5 6000/36 - NVidia RTX 4090 FE
Acer Predator x27 - Thermaltake Core P5 - Corsair HX850i
-> Bilder und weitere Details <-

Donnerstag, 26. August 2021, 11:52

After reading this: https://linustechtips.com/topic/501874-t…-based-coolant/ I'm a bit more relaxed now. I think it's rather unlikely to see any effect with DP Ultra and PETG hard tubes. And my experiences seem to confirm this.

However, an official statement would help anyway.

Which, of course, makes one wonder what caused the catastrophic event the thread poster experienced.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Grestorn« (26. August 2021, 13:17)

Intel 12900K - Asus Maximus z690 Formula - 2x16 GB G.Skill DDR5 6000/36 - NVidia RTX 4090 FE
Acer Predator x27 - Thermaltake Core P5 - Corsair HX850i
-> Bilder und weitere Details <-

Donnerstag, 26. August 2021, 12:46

We have never seen any issues between DP Ultra and PETG tubing. Also PETG should have no issues with Ethlyen-Glycole based on this and other information:

https://www.buerkle.de/files_pdf/wissens…igkeiten_de.pdf
https://www.rotert.com/chemikalienbestae…n-kunststoffen/

Remayz

Donnerstag, 26. August 2021, 22:04

normally Glycol doesn't react buy i wonder if they are all that pure, depending on the coolant. glycol precursors are basically solvents. Also, we never know how they react when you rinsed your loop with a loop cleaner, and there's some remnants of it inside.

It's very common to see comments about people getting floppy tubes or leaks when using glycol based coolants.