• 27.04.2024, 19:45
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

M4R7YN

Control pump speed based on CPU/GPU load?

Dienstag, 2. November 2021, 13:17

Hi all, just switched to an AC Octo and AquaSuite X46 from iCue (booo!) and I'm trying to figure out if I can do something a bit clever in terms of controlling the pump in my water cooling loop.

What I'm hoping to do is to use the CPU/GPU load, preferably both but one or the other will do, to control the speed of the pump. At the moment I just have it running at a fixed PWM percentage but I'd like to vary between idle and full load.

I've tried setting up something in Playground but I'm struggling to come up with anything that works. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Dienstag, 2. November 2021, 15:40

Pump RPM/Coolant Flow Rate does not directly impact the ability of you coolant to pull heat from the water block.
Once a sufficient flow rate is established, additional velocity does not measurable impact performance.
Find a spot where your pumps are least noisy, and you will be good to go.

As to your question, here is a sample Virtual Sensor that will yield the highest load of a CPU & two GPUs (max_processor.jpg)

Dienstag, 2. November 2021, 23:14

Also probably not good for your pump to have it chasing a control curve that is jumping all over the place. I just leave my pump at a fixed speed. If I was going to vary it, I would tie it to coolant temp or a virtual sensor that is coolant temp minus ambient. That is what I use for my fan curves.

M4R7YN

Mittwoch, 3. November 2021, 12:34

Thanks both for your replies!

Infoseeker - Totally agree that finding a set RPM would be ideal, but the rest of my system is so quiet at idle, the pump is the noisiest part of the system. Because of the x3 radiators and x2 blocks, it seems it's quite a high restriction loop and I need a fairly high RPM to keep temps in check at load.

Speedy - I've been using coolant temp to control the pump speed until now, but it seems I've been allowing it to run too low and it's not ramping up quickly enough.

My idea was to effectively use CPU/GPU load as a 'switch'. Run at one RPM (around 1200) until load hits 80%+ then ramp up to about 3800rpm and stay there until load drops.

M4R7YN

Mittwoch, 3. November 2021, 12:43

Pump RPM/Coolant Flow Rate does not directly impact the ability of you coolant to pull heat from the water block.
Once a sufficient flow rate is established, additional velocity does not measurable impact performance.
Find a spot where your pumps are least noisy, and you will be good to go.

As to your question, here is a sample Virtual Sensor that will yield the highest load of a CPU & two GPUs ([attach]8872[/attach])
Thanks for the sample, I've created this in Virtual Sensors in Playground, but don't seem to be able to use it as a Controller Source on the OCTO? I just get the physical sensors as options.

Mittwoch, 3. November 2021, 14:11

My bad, controllers are restricted to temperature input, so you need to change the last unit value in the Virtual Sensor to temperature (unit=c.jpg).
Then you will be able to import the value into a Soft.Sensor on the OCTO and use it with a controller.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »InfoSeeker« (3. November 2021, 14:16)

M4R7YN

Mittwoch, 3. November 2021, 14:23

My bad, controllers are restricted to temperature input, so you need to change the last unit value in the Virtual Sensor to temperature ([attach]8875[/attach]).
Then you will be able to import the value into a Soft.Sensor on the OCTO and use it with a controller.
Perfect, thank you! This is now letting me do exactly what I was hoping for, hopefully it'll work the way I'm expecting!

I've got a chart logging pump RPM over the past half hour so I'll monitor this to see if the RPM is jumping around in normal use. I'd like to think that CPU or GPU usage wouldn't get over 80% in normal use, but at least I can easily adjust this trigger level.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »M4R7YN« (3. November 2021, 14:25)

Remayz

Mittwoch, 3. November 2021, 14:30

it's a D5? 1200 rpm is too low for such a loop. idk what gpu you have but you'll probably need to double that figure for idle. 3080 / 3090 love higher flows. i noticed under load that i needed at least ~100l/h to avoid rising temps on the gpu. it changes from loop to loop but i had a base pump speed of 3000 rpm, going up with water temp (on 3 rads + cpu/gpu blocks).
there will always be those narrow ranges where the pump vibrates a bit but you cant do much about them, except maybe try a DDC. Different sound, more head pressure, lower speed for the same flow.

M4R7YN

Mittwoch, 3. November 2021, 14:35

Yeah it's an EK D5. At 1200 RPM, my 3080 (FE with EK Quantum Vector block) idles at 26c with memory at 32, the CPU (Ryzen 5800x) idles in the 35-45c range, so I'm pretty happy with that. My issue was that when running at 1200rpm, I couldn't get heat out of the CPU quickly enough, hence the need to increase the speed at high loads.

Remayz

Mittwoch, 3. November 2021, 19:49

1200 rpm is a trickle. i'd be surprised if you were over 30-ish L/hour.
the CPU doesn't need a ton of flow either. its temperature is mostly dictated by Vcore, more than pump flow. but 1200 is very low for high loads.
If i were you i'd increase the idle speed, at least x2, and maybe you'll find control by water temp to be perfect.
The more complex the loop is, the faster you'll need to run the pump to overcome restriction, in order to have a flow that's decent enough.

But if the virtual sensor does what you want, you can still forget what i said and just polish it, maybe adding a low pass filter before the output for example, to smooth out the pump response, and not having it accelerate like crazy everytime you open a browser page :)

Donnerstag, 4. November 2021, 06:57

Most people in the know try to achieve a flow rate of 1 US GPM or 227LPH. With that said they set there pump speed and leave it. Don't believe me? Go to Overclock head into the water cooling forum and ask why ;)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Bartdude« (4. November 2021, 06:58)

"no shit lady, does it sound like i'm ordering pizza?"

Remayz

Donnerstag, 4. November 2021, 10:38

some loops don't allow that flow :p

Donnerstag, 4. November 2021, 12:19

Most loops will allow those speeds, it's if you have the pump/s to achieve it. That said it really helps if you know what your flow rate is to start with so fitting a flow meter is the way to go but again it depends on the person. I see lots that have no idea of what there flow rate is so they just run there pump at max! But then there are those that water cool because they want to achieve great cooling and those who do it just for looks.
Personally I started because I wanted to achieve better cooling, however I had no real idea how my system performed back then. It wasn't until I discovered Aquacomputer products I really started to learn.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Bartdude« (4. November 2021, 12:23)

"no shit lady, does it sound like i'm ordering pizza?"

Remayz

Donnerstag, 4. November 2021, 12:34

my loop tops at 220l/h with a DDC, but there's no cooling change beyond 120L/h
going from 120 to 220, i gain like 1°C on the GPU, that's it (3090 + 10900k)

Once you have just enough flow for the waterblock to evacuate heat fast enough, all the performance lay within the rads and fans (and case), not with the pump.
That minimum flow rate entirely depends on what waterblock you use. some will require lots of flow, some will work well at lower flow rates.

using double pumps will get higher flow but not better temps, unless you are in a massive case with tons of slim, double pass radiators with a ton of restriction and can't achieve that minimal flow with just one pump.

But i agree, adding a flowmeter really does help :) and you can see the change when you tweak the loop, from radiator to radiator, parallel/serial, adding angled fittings etc.. And once you know your flow rate, you can set it as you said, to a sufficient fixed speed and leave it there. it's not strictly necesary to change it

RE: Control pump speed based on CPU/GPU load?

Donnerstag, 4. November 2021, 20:49

Hi all, just switched to an AC Octo and AquaSuite X46 from iCue (booo!) and I'm trying to figure out if I can do something a bit clever in terms of controlling the pump in my water cooling loop.

What I'm hoping to do is to use the CPU/GPU load, preferably both but one or the other will do, to control the speed of the pump. At the moment I just have it running at a fixed PWM percentage but I'd like to vary between idle and full load.

I've tried setting up something in Playground but I'm struggling to come up with anything that works. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

this is a Virtual Sensor that feeds a value to the fan curves for my Radiator Fans.(but could be used to link to the Pump as well if desired)

Normally it just passes the value of my water temp sensor straight through however if both averaged CPU & GPU usage over the last 30 seconds go above a threshold at the same time it sets the output to a value that runs the fans at ~80%

If either the CPU or GPU (averaged over 30 seconds )only go above that threshold for a set period then again it sets the value to a higher one but only after a delay

http://sharetheexperience.co.uk/Osprey/CurveSensor.png
»WinstonWoof« hat folgendes Bild angehängt:
  • CurveSensor.png

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 5 mal editiert, zuletzt von »WinstonWoof« (4. November 2021, 20:56)

RE: RE: Control pump speed based on CPU/GPU load?

Donnerstag, 4. November 2021, 21:49

[[/quote]
this is a Virtual Sensor that feeds a value to the fan curves for my Radiator Fans.(but could be used to link to the Pump as well if desired)
Normally it just passes the value of my water temp sensor straight through however if both averaged CPU & GPU usage over the last 30 seconds go above a threshold at the same time it sets the output to a value that runs the fans at ~80%
If either the CPU or GPU (averaged over 30 seconds )only go above that threshold for a set period then again it sets the value to a higher one but only after a delay
http://sharetheexperience.co.uk/Osprey/CurveSensor.png [/quote]

This is really interesting and uses several filters and functions I have not played with yet. It looks like a further refinement of the setup in THIS POST Giving me some ideas. Thanks for posting this.

M4R7YN

Donnerstag, 4. November 2021, 21:54

WistonWoof - That virtual sensor is incredible! Really shows the power of AquaSuite :)

I just wanted to say that I've really valued everyones input on this, even if it does sound like I've totally ignored it! I've decided to up the idle speed a little, although only to 1800 RPM, but I've taken Speedy-IV's advice and actually used the delta between ambient temp and coolant temp to control the pump speed. My plan to use the GPU/CPU load didn't quite work as I wanted to as the load actually isn't always high enough when gaming to trigger it, so the pump speed was fluctuating more than I was happy with. I've not set it to ramp up to 80% (roughly xxxx RPM) when there is more than 5.5c between the ambient and coolant temps, which seems to be working well at the moment.

In terms of a flow sensor, this is something I'm looking to add, so which one would you all recommend? Something like the MPS flow 400? Are there any other sensors that would be useful for monitoring the loop?

Donnerstag, 4. November 2021, 22:43

WistonWoof - That virtual sensor is incredible! Really shows the power of AquaSuite :)

I just wanted to say that I've really valued everyones input on this, even if it does sound like I've totally ignored it! I've decided to up the idle speed a little, although only to 1800 RPM, but I've taken Speedy-IV's advice and actually used the delta between ambient temp and coolant temp to control the pump speed. My plan to use the GPU/CPU load didn't quite work as I wanted to as the load actually isn't always high enough when gaming to trigger it, so the pump speed was fluctuating more than I was happy with. I've not set it to ramp up to 80% (roughly xxxx RPM) when there is more than 5.5c between the ambient and coolant temps, which seems to be working well at the moment.

In terms of a flow sensor, this is something I'm looking to add, so which one would you all recommend? Something like the MPS flow 400? Are there any other sensors that would be useful for monitoring the loop?
One little tweak and you could use to to switch your water Pump between (in my example) 50% speed at CPU/GPU loads below 80% and 100% above 80% by setting teh switchable output between 2 values defined in deg C.

This can then be attached to a Soft Sensor and in turn used on a fan crve for the water pump however due to the config it will only ever output 50c or 100c (adjust values to suit)

Again same as with my original I've used average loads to smooth out small fluctuations plus delays and combined with an alternative that if both CPU & GPU above a set threshold then the Water Pump is sent the max speed outut.
»WinstonWoof« hat folgende Bilder angehängt:
  • PumpControl_VirtualSensor.png
  • SoftwareSensor.png
  • PumpControl_Curve.png

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »WinstonWoof« (4. November 2021, 23:21)

Donnerstag, 4. November 2021, 22:53

In this very quick Demo (and I've quickly tweaked my settings to give me the pump speed I want at idle/low load (which is actually a virtual 30c) ) if you watch the pump speed on the bottom left as both the CPU & GPU go above 80% average load for the 30 second period I've defined as a buffer the Water Pump gets sent a virtual 100C which, based on the fan curve) ramps it up to 100%.

Had I done a CPU or GPU only load there would have been a delay before the pump & radiator fans sped up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA0s3xwe_VE

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »WinstonWoof« (4. November 2021, 22:55)

Donnerstag, 4. November 2021, 23:13

Modifed so the delay off is always applied so that the higher values are still sent to the relevant Virtual Sensors for a further 60 seconds (in my case) after load removed
»WinstonWoof« hat folgende Bilder angehängt:
  • Modified_DelayOff_CoolingCurve.png
  • Modified_DelayOff_WaterPumpControl.png