• 04.05.2024, 23:04
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Why do you make it possible to break your own install with an update that will not be activated?

Montag, 14. März 2022, 16:38

I get that ongoing development costs money, and I don't expect that to be free.

However, I don't expect to be able to click an 'Upgrade' button that's actively shown to me, only for then the software to not work.

Can you please make it so that upgrades are *not* shown if activation period has expired!

Montag, 14. März 2022, 17:48

I don't know what happened to you, but an update will never be offered if you're not entitled to use that updated version.

Did you unplug the device that has granted you the license? Maybe you have an USB issue that this device is sometimes not visible?
Intel 12900K - Asus Maximus z690 Formula - 2x16 GB G.Skill DDR5 6000/36 - NVidia RTX 4090 FE
Acer Predator x27 - Thermaltake Core P5 - Corsair HX850i
-> Bilder und weitere Details <-

Dienstag, 15. März 2022, 11:46

I don't know what happened to you, but an update will never be offered if you're not entitled to use that updated version.

Did you unplug the device that has granted you the license? Maybe you have an USB issue that this device is sometimes not visible?

All I did was open the AquaSuite software as normal, and on the right-hand side was a button saying a new version was available, with an 'Update' button.

I've not unplugged or plugged in anything.

Mittwoch, 16. März 2022, 01:14

It's the same here - My device upgrade services were all expired by Dec 2021, but that's the key part you see... You are entitled to use Aquasuite X.51, but your devices with their current services will not work with this newer version.

Fortunately, you have options. You can purchase a 1-year service update, of course... you can buy some new AC kit and get the included free update service for 6-30 months, depending on the device... but you should also be able to run the AQS installer and, on the intro screen, choose to reinstall an older version with which your devices are still compatible... in my case X.47.

For the mere tenner it costs, I would recommend getting the update service, and since my own has now expired it's the first thing I'll be buying next payday!

Mittwoch, 16. März 2022, 02:07

This isn't correct. I've had the same thing happen just now and am now having to search for a version of the software that matches the date I last had "Update Service." Being prompted to update to a version that makes my system unusable is beyond undesirable and probably should be logged as a bug that needs to be fixed.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »xCROv« (16. März 2022, 02:09)

Mittwoch, 16. März 2022, 16:39

but you should also be able to run the AQS installer and, on the intro screen, choose to reinstall an older version with which your devices are still compatible... in my case X.47.
Is this true? I don't recall ever seeing an option to install an earlier version and have read multiple posts saying that you can't go back to earlier versions. Maybe that is only true if device firmware has been updated to a later version?

Mittwoch, 16. März 2022, 17:57

When updating, there was always the warning next to it if you no longer had update service.

I suspect this is still the case, but I can not test it for the next 10 months :-)

The installer always offers the version that runs with the currently installed devices, so not the update in the aquasuite, but the installer you can download here .
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931), amerik. Erfinder

Mittwoch, 16. März 2022, 19:23

The installer will show the dialaog as shown at the picture I have attached. You have the option to install the old version or buy the new licence.
If you have installed the new version you can install the old one with the installer again.

Maybe you haven't read the info at the dialog.

Mittwoch, 16. März 2022, 19:34

The installer will show the dialaog as shown at the picture I have attached. You have the option to install the old version or buy the new licence.
If you have installed the new version you can install the old one with the installer again.

Maybe you haven't read the info at the dialog.

[attach]9312[/attach]

Hey Stephan

I *think* thats what's being suggested/asked for is that on that screen thr Install Option is disabled and a Purchase button added if you are out of support.

It would certainly be less annoying/confusing

Mittwoch, 16. März 2022, 23:21

Adding the PURCHASE button and taking away the INSTALL button would certainly make it fool proof, although the note is pretty clear. Based on OP's experience I guess there is nothing stopping you from installing the new version even though none of your devices are licenses to run with it. IMHO, that should be changed so you have to purchase the update service BEFORE you can install the new version that requires it.

Mittwoch, 16. März 2022, 23:31

Adding the PURCHASE button and taking away the INSTALL button would certainly make it fool proof, although the note is pretty clear. Based on OP's experience I guess there is nothing stopping you from installing the new version even though none of your devices are licenses to run with it. IMHO, that should be changed so you have to purchase the update service BEFORE you can install the new version that requires it.

Yup and its a trap I deliberately fell into.

I needed to renew, clicked install anyways thinking as part of the install it might prompt me to purchase and it didn't so left my AQS briefly useless as per the OP

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »WinstonWoof« (16. März 2022, 23:32)

Donnerstag, 17. März 2022, 10:57

We will consider to change the desing. Anyway you can still install the old version if you decided to install the newest version.

Also we have many customers who are installing the aquasuite before adding the devices. So we can not force them to buy a licence in front.
Otherwise many of them would buy who don't need to buy it due an active update licence at an device that is not connected currently. That would also be a trap.
So there is no purchase at this point of install that's why there is not "Buy" button.

Freitag, 18. März 2022, 10:02

We will consider to change the desing. Anyway you can still install the old version if you decided to install the newest version.

Also we have many customers who are installing the aquasuite before adding the devices. So we can not force them to buy a licence in front.
Otherwise many of them would buy who don't need to buy it due an active update licence at an device that is not connected currently. That would also be a trap.
So there is no purchase at this point of install that's why there is not "Buy" button.

Thanks - all I was really asking for is that instead of a just a warning, it simply doesn't allow you to upgrade. I must admit I didn't see the warning.

However, it's a bit like a red button with a sign next to it that says "don't press this button".

Freitag, 18. März 2022, 10:25

it simply doesn't allow you to upgrade.
NO, you can upgrade, we wont block this.
You can install the new version and buy or assign your new key.

In every update window there is a warning if you need a new key. Also in the aquasuite.

Freitag, 18. März 2022, 10:54

it simply doesn't allow you to upgrade.
NO, you can upgrade, we wont block this.
You can install the new version and buy or assign your new key.

In every update window there is a warning if you need a new key. Also in the aquasuite.

Ok - as I stated at the begining, I don't expect free upgrades.

It does not seem to make sense to me to allow a user to upgrade software that then simply doesn't work until they pay.

I have to say, I do sense quite a poor attitude from you, and that's extremely disappointing.

Freitag, 18. März 2022, 11:15

If you have installed a software version for which you have no authorization, there are 2 solutions.

1. buy a key
2. install with the setup the version for which your key is valid

Freitag, 18. März 2022, 11:58

A question just came to my mind,
If you keep making the same mistake and ignoring warnings, shouldn't the solution be to respond to warnings instead of making a fuss here and demanding a change in common practice?

You're not really going to expect the rest of the world, who don't have the same problem as you, to change so you don't have to, are you?
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.

Freitag, 18. März 2022, 12:24

A question just came to my mind,
If you keep making the same mistake and ignoring warnings, shouldn't the solution be to respond to warnings instead of making a fuss here and demanding a change in common practice?

You're not really going to expect the rest of the world, who don't have the same problem as you, to change so you don't have to, are you?

Its not an unreasonable request.

A Piece of softawre shouldn't allow itself to be installed if certain criteria essential to its operation aren't met.

eg (and moving away form AQS) If I try installing W10 on my old HP XW62000 I get an error that unable to proceed as some CPU instruction set is missing.

What it doesn't do is install and then barf the first time you try using it.

Freitag, 18. März 2022, 12:30

OK I understand, personal responsibility is not a good concept, better to be taken by the hand and not have to think.

I see it a little differently, but the will of man is his kingdom ;-)

Freitag, 18. März 2022, 12:36

OK I understand, personal responsibility is not a good concept, better to be taken by the hand and not have to think.

I see it a little differently, but the will of man is his kingdom ;-)

I tihnk you're projecting somewhat here - I don't *keep* making the same mistake. I made a mistake once.

I'm a software engineer myself, and personally I'd be embarassed if I wrote software that allowed a user to easily click a button that broke their installation.