• 28.04.2024, 02:14
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Schnipp

Octo + Phanteks D30: Lüfter drehen auf Maximaldrehzahl beim Einschalten

Samstag, 10. Juni 2023, 18:05

Hi,

ich habe diese Woche ein paar Arctic P12 ausgebaut und mit Phanteks D30 Lüftern ersetzt.

Leider drehen diese beim Einschalten des PCs auf eine sehr hohe bzw. die Maximaldrehzahl beim Einschalten des PCs.
Die noch vorhandenen P12 (ARGB) machen dies nicht.

Ich habe schon diverse Einstellungen für die Lüfterkanäle ausprobiert (Leistungsvorgabe, Kurvenregler mit fixem Reglerausgang), inkl. Modus mit Rückfallwert, mit und ohne Startboost versucht.
Die Lüfter drehen immer hoch und dann innerhalb von ein paar Sekunden dann wieder runter.

Kann man da noch irgendwas machen?

Ich befürchte aber, dass es ggf. am Octo liegt.
Die P12 bleiben nämlich bei 0% Reglerausgang / PWM stehen während die Phanteks bei 0% PWM auf Höchstdrehzahl laufen.

Kann es sein, dass der Octo ein paar Sekunden braucht bis er ein PWM-Signal ausgibt und in dieser Zeit die Lüfter hochdrehen weil noch kein PWM-Signal anliegt?

Samstag, 10. Juni 2023, 20:02

Das Hochdrehen bei 0% PWM ist zumindest das Verhalten was in der Spezifikation steht, damit verhindert man Defekte bei den zu kühlenden Komponenten.
Das macht aber jeder Hersteller wie er es mag, daher auch das unterschiedliche Verhalten.
Die Einstellmöglichkeiten des OCTO habe ich nicht im Kopf, daher kann ich dazu nichts sagen.
Es gibt keinen Ausweg, den ein Mensch nicht beschreitet, um die tatsächliche Arbeit des Denkens zu vermeiden.
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931), amerik. Erfinder

Samstag, 10. Juni 2023, 20:48

Ich habe zwar keine Phanteks aber Einstellungen
»MaxTwister« hat folgende Bilder angehängt:
  • aquasuite_2023-06-10_20-42-50.png
  • aquasuite_2023-06-10_20-43-05.png
:D

Meine Xbox: Intel i9-14900k Asus ROG Maximus z690 Extreme
G-Skill CL36 DDR5-6000 32GB Nvidia Geforce RTX 4090 Founders Edition

Schnipp

Samstag, 10. Juni 2023, 21:11

Ich habe die unten gezeigten Einstellungen probiert.
"Lüfter unten" und "Lüfter oben" sind die betroffenen Kanäle mit den Phanteks-Lüftern. Bei "MoRa" sind Noctua NF-A20 PWM und "Lüfter Radi intern" sind Arctic P12 PWM ARGB verbaut. Die Noctua und Arctic drehen halt nicht hoch beim Einschalten und fahren (langsam) ihre Vorgabewerte an.

Meine Vermutung ist, dass die Lüfterausgänge des Octo schon 12V anliegen haben, aber das PWM-Signal nicht sofort anliegt in den ersten Sekunden nach dem Einschalten.

Fraglich ist halt ob man das Verhalten irgendwie selbst beeinflussen kann oder es dazu ggf. eine Änderung an der Firmware benötigt, falls überhaupt was an dem Verhalten geändert werden kann.
»Schnipp« hat folgende Dateien angehängt:

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Schnipp« (10. Juni 2023, 21:16)

Montag, 12. Juni 2023, 07:26

Das liegt eventuell auch an den Lüftern wenn die Noctua und Arctic Lüfter dieses Verhalten nicht haben.

Schnipp

Montag, 12. Juni 2023, 13:51

Ist möglich.

Habe gestern Abend noch die Lüfter testweise am Mainboard angeschlossen, im BIOS auch 25% PWM vorgegeben.
Da haben die Lüfter nur mal ganz kurz etwas höher gedreht (aber bei weitem nicht so hoch wie am Octo).
Hätte ja sein können, dass die Lüfter beim Einschalten da selbst was "komisch" machen.

Von daher denke ich, dass die Lüfterausgänge des Octo für ein paar Sekunden bereits die 12V anliegen haben während noch kein PWM-Signal bereitgestellt wird.

Nervt halt bei jedem Einschalten eine Turbine zu haben.
Ansonsten gefallen mir die Lüfter (und bisher eben die Steuerung des Octo) echt gut.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Schnipp« (12. Juni 2023, 13:55)

Montag, 12. Juni 2023, 20:42

Interesting that your D30 fan is doing this. I have a D30 fan connected to an Octo in Power Preset mode - 50%. The fan does not run at full speed when I boot the computer. Some fans do run at full speed when there is no PWM signal but I don't know if the D30 does. I will try setting it to 0% power and see what happens.

Schnipp

Dienstag, 13. Juni 2023, 06:59

My D30 fans ramp up to max rpm at 0% PWM, at 1% to 9% they are at 0 rpm and start spinning at 10% PWM scaling up to 100% in speed.

Schnipp

Montag, 26. Juni 2023, 20:01

Interesting that your D30 fan is doing this. I have a D30 fan connected to an Octo in Power Preset mode - 50%. The fan does not run at full speed when I boot the computer. Some fans do run at full speed when there is no PWM signal but I don't know if the D30 does. I will try setting it to 0% power and see what happens.
Any chance you got around to testing the D30 fans with setting them to a lower value?

And just to be sure, you mean the rather new D30 D-RGB fans and not the T30 (w/o RGB)?

Dienstag, 27. Juni 2023, 17:21

Any chance you got around to testing the D30 fans with setting them to a lower value?

And just to be sure, you mean the rather new D30 D-RGB fans and not the T30 (w/o RGB)?
Sorry I forgot to do this. To be clear, I am talking about the new D30 D-RGB. I have a 3 pack of them and a 3 pack of T30s. I will do the test today and report back.

UPDATE - Schnipp - You were right. My D30 RGB fan does the same thing yours does. At 0% PWM it goes to full speed (~2080 RPM). At 100% PWM, it also is at full speed. As I decrease the PWM value, the RPM drops in a very linear way. At 10% PWM, the speed is ~260 RPM. At 9% to 1% PWM, the RPM is 0. At 0% PWM it jumps back to max RPM.

I set the fan port for 25% PWM then shut down and rebooted the computer. When the fan gets power, it starts spinning. It sounds like it is speeding up, probably headed to max speed. Within 2 seconds, it slows back down to ~512 RPM which is the speed I get at 25% PWM. It seems that the Octo sends 12VDC to the fan about 2 seconds before it sends the PWM signal. Apologies for my earlier statement. I just never noticed it, I think because the fan never gets to full speed before the PWM signal takes over. I had to listen closely to hear it (the fan is not installed in my case, it's just sitting on top for now).

Other things to note about the D30 RGB - There are 30 LEDs in the fan, not 32 like Phanteks marketing says. Also, the LEDs are not individually addressable. They are arranged in 15 pairs of 2. If I set an RGBpx controller for 1 LED, 2 LEDs next to each other light up. If I set the controller to 2 LEDs, 4 LEDs light up. The pairs are arranged so that they progress in opposite directions from the first pair. Using a clock face as an example, if the first pair of LEDs are at 12 o'clock, the second pair are at 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock. The third pair are at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock, etc. I don't know why Phanteks did this. DRGB LEDs are INDIVIDUALLY controllable so why pair them? Doing this will mess up RGB effects that progress from LED to LED. Also, to light all 30 LEDs, you set the RGBpx controller in Aquasuite to 15 LEDs. Now the port is driving 30 LEDs when it thinks it is driving 15 LEDs. This causes the current and power calculations to be wrong, so be careful with how many D30 fans you connect to an RGBpx port. If you connect 3 of them to 1 RGBpx port, that is 90 LEDs but you will set the RGB controller in Aquasuite to 45 LEDs. I read that Lion Li Uni-Fans and Infinity fans also have the LEDs paired, so Phanteks is not the only one doing this. I still don't understand why they paired the LEDs.

Here is the RPM vs PWM data for my D30 RGB fan.

Phanteks D30 RGB - RPM vs PWM.jpg

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Speedy-VI« (27. Juni 2023, 19:07)

Schnipp

Mittwoch, 28. Juni 2023, 15:16

Thanks Speedy-VI for checking.

At least this confirms that the behaviour is the same on your setup.

0% PWM: full speed
1-9% PWM: 0 rpm
10-100% PWM: increasing speed from about 200rpm to full speed

I have two sets of 3 fans in my PC, one set in the bottom (reverse flow) and one set in the top (regular flow).
At least on my system the fan noise is very noticeable until the PWM signal is applied and the fans start to ramp down again. I don't have any rpm values, but from the noise I guess they reach somewhere around 1200rpm (+).
Once I'm back at my pc I can try simulating the noise level to have a rough estimation for the fan speed after booting the pc.

I noticed that the fans have 15 groups of LEDs and not 16 as the specs said. Since I run reduced power on my lighting I don't have any issues with the power consumption/requirement.
Grouping the LEDs in pairs create a different kind of visual effect where the lighting runs from fan to fan in a straight motion, which I like so far.

One hint I've read somewhere about the RGBpx and power drawn:
If you run multiple RGB devices on one RGBpx port through Y-splitters, then you should add extra LEDs with static white to let the device know how many LEDs are connected.
(i.e. you run 30 LEDs on the main device and add 20 with a different device in parallel then you should add 20 LEDs with static white for LEDs 31 to 50 on the used channel)

Donnerstag, 29. Juni 2023, 02:26

Yes I know you can "correct" the amount of LEDs that Aquasuite uses to calculate current and power draw by adding LEDs on at the end. Setting them to white ensures worst case calculations.. Also thank you for confirming that there are in fact 30 LEDs (15 sets of 2), not 32. It is strange that Phanteks would lie about the number of LEDs. Maybe they were going to do 32 but decreased it to 30 at the last minute for some reason, and the marketing was not updated. I just looked on their site and now it says 30 LEDs. I have a screen shot of their site from when it said 32, so I know I am not crazy. The screen shot showing 32 LEDs was taken on April 17, 2023. The screen shot showing 30 LEDs was taken today. Weird.

All in all the fans are OK. Lots of fans go to full speed with no PWM signal, so I guess that is OK, although that is what is causing your problem. The fans perform well because they are 30mm thick. Same deal with the T30. I do not like the fact that the LEDs are paired and I do not see any reason or advantage to doing this. DRGB LEDs are INDIVIDUALLY controllable. Any RGB effect that travels from LED to LED will do weird things with these fans. It might look OK but they have still lowered the granularity of LED control, and I have never seen them state anywhere that the 30 LEDs are not individually controllable. I also recall that when they first came out. many people were plugging the cable into the OUT port on the fan, then complaining that they did not work. Its a poor design.

There is now an Owner's Manual available for download that clearly shows which is the IN connector and which is the OUT connector. I was surprised at how many little pieces of plastic come with the fans, that you have to stick on and hope the little plastic nubs don't break or wear down. I realize they are competing with the Lion Li Uni-fans and Infinity fans. I don't have any Lion Li fans so I can't directly compare them, but I think Lion Li did a better job with the whole interlocking thing. I don't like that they combined LED data and PWM power/data into 1 cable. I understand that less cables is good, but going to proprietary connectors is not good. I have never used L-Connect but I have read many posts complaining about it. I would never use it because I am a huge fan of Aquasuite. Due to their proprietary connectors, if you don't want to use their controller and L-Connect, you end up with an adapter nightmare.

I have been reading about the new Corsair iCue LINK platform. ICue is a bloated, buggy mess, and they don't use the proper Mutex to queue and synchronize sensor polling requests. This is why ICue cannot be run concurrently with HWINFO, AIDA, SIV, CPU-Z, or any other program that polls sensors. It is also one of the main reasons that I refuse to even consider installing Icue. I wonder if this new LINK system will be another bug ridden fiasco. I saw some really impressive specs for their new LINK fans. I think they call them QX series. I don't trust Corsair specs, but if they were accurate, they have finally managed to produce a fan that has lots of LEDs and great performance. I think the prices are way too high though. It will be interesting to see how this new LINK platform works out.

Phanteks D30 120mm Specs 32 LEDs.jpg

Phanteks D30 120mm Specs 30 LEDs.jpg

Schnipp

Sonntag, 2. Juli 2023, 19:09

Yeah, I get what you mean about the RGB, but I like the way they work cause I like the kinds of effects I can achieve with it.

My issue is that apparently the Octo provides 12V to the fans before the PWM signal is active so the fans spin up to a quite noisy level.

But I guess that won't (can't?) be changed in the firmware of the device.

Sonntag, 2. Juli 2023, 19:22

I don't know how long it takes the Octo to start putting out whatever PWM signal the ports are set for after powering up. Mine seems to take about 2 seconds. When I did the testing and set the D30 port for 25% PWM, then shut down and powered back up, I could hear the fan speed increasing but it did not get very far before the 25% PWM signal kicked in at which point the fan slowed down to ~512RPM. Maybe someone from Aquacomputer can post how long it takes for the Octo to boot up and start outputting a PWM signal. I had to listen closely to even notice it, and the fan is not even installed in my case. Its just sitting on top for now. Maybe your Octo is taking longer to boot, or you are more sensitive to the noise the fan makes. The noise level is a measurable thing but how perceivable it is is a subjective thing. I know I have some high frequency hearing loss, due to age and firing a rifle without proper hearing protection, so maybe that is why I did not notice it at first.

Schnipp

Montag, 3. Juli 2023, 19:11

Well, I did a small test with a "noise meter" app on my phone.
To get to roughly the same db value the D30 fans need to spin over 1500rpm (I think it was even in the 1600rpm or 1700rpm region).

So it's not a minor increase over the normal noise level, it's rather going into the direction of a vacuum cleaner on a low to mid level for a brief moment.

Edit:
Here is a short clip, although it doesn't come across as bad as it is IRL.
If you crank up the volume a bit you can somewhat hear the difference between spun up fans compared to their normal speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzsQQtBhWHs

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Schnipp« (3. Juli 2023, 19:23)

Dienstag, 4. Juli 2023, 03:03

Wow. That is definitely annoying. Have you checked to make sure you don’t have the Start Boost feature activated? Start Boost sets the fan output to 100% for a short time before switching to normal operation. Also, check where the Fallback Power is set. That is what the fan port will output until AQS tells it to do something different. Having Start Boost enabled or having the Fallback Power set at or near 100% would definitely make the problem worse, so check these settings.

You can also set a minimum power and a maximum power. See Section 10.4 of the Octo manual for details. If you never plan to have the fans go to their maximum speed, you could lower the maximum power value, which would stop the fans from trying to go maximum speed.

Other than these suggestions, I don’t see what else you could do other than switch to fans that do not go to 100% speed if they do not get a PWM signal. You could try posting about this on the Aquacomputer subreddit. It’s under r/Watercooling, then Vendor threads. It was dead for a long time but lately, I have been getting responses from Shoggy (Sven) from Aquacomputer within a day of posting there. Maybe he can suggest something, or at least confirm how long it takes the Octo to begin outputting a PWM signal after powering up.

Schnipp

Dienstag, 4. Juli 2023, 12:03

Yeah, I've tried different modes and settings. I've tried with and w/o start boost. Also set a mode with a fallback value.
Nothing changed in the bevahiour.

About Reddit: I don't use it and well, it's kinda weird to come to the official forum and then have to use Reddit to get in contact with someone from the developers or tech support.

I'll have a look at a mode with a maximum power value though once I get around to testing it.

Dienstag, 4. Juli 2023, 19:51

Sorry - I am all out of suggestions. Some fans go to full speed if they don't get a PWM signal and some do not. The D30 does. I can hear mine speed up but it does not get very far before the Octo slows it down, and it's just not very noticeable, probably because I only have 1 of them connected. I guess it is possible that your Octo takes longer to start outputting a PWM signal than mine does, but I think this is unlikely. How long an Octo takes from when power is applied to when the PWM ports are outputting proper signals is a question for Aquacomputer.

It is strange that you can sometimes get a response from Aquacomputer faster on Reddit than on this forum. Their Reddit had been dead for months but lately they have been responding very quickly there. The Reddit title is [OFFICIAL SUPPORT] Aqua Computer - General Discussion & Support, whereas this forum is more of a user's forum. Sometimes an Aquacomputer rep will respond here, but there it no guarantee of that. I tried posting my questions on Reddit because I was not getting any response here. I was surprised when I got a response the next day on Reddit. Since then, I have posted several questions on this forum and on Reddit. Each time, I got a response on Reddit but not on this forum. Good luck, whatever you decide.