• 28.04.2024, 01:04
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

PSU cables: Have it your way

Sonntag, 21. August 2005, 03:22

This was originally posted into my project in the English Forum, but I figured other people might like this as well that don't frequent that part of the site that often.

So what bugs most people about a PSU? One size wiring loom does not fit all, right? The loom is either too long or too short and usually looks half-assed to boot IMHO. So today I have decided to fix my HD power wiring so I get a nice looking extremely clean install. After all I want it my way. 8)

So the first thing to do is to gather up all the tools you will probably need. So what do we got here? heat shrink; heat shrink gun; red, yellow, and black wire; extra power assemblies, wire cutters; molex female pins; needle nose pliers; phillips screwdriver; molex pin remover tool; and a molex crimping tool.

So the first thing you have to do is either decide if you want to make the wires up from scratch or use some of those old molex extensions you got hanging around. I did a combination of both if the wires I salvaged weren't up to my specs. It helps to look over the metal pins with a Optivisor to make sure they aren't damaged before you procede. Here are the ones I harvested and made up for one 4 pin molex.

The first thing you will want to do is to get out the heatshrink tubing and put about 2" on each wire and shrink it down.

Then you attach the pins to the molex connector. If you don't know how to do this you can usually get the right info from the manufacturer of your PSU as to what color goes where. Since I was making up a cable for three hard drives I made three of these complete sub-assemblies. As you have probably noticed they are three different lengths. The longest one should be about 6" long, the second about 5", and the third one should be about 4" long for my finished cable. If you have wider separation of drives then you may need to fudge a bit on the sizes.

The next thing to do is to mark the black wires so you can identify them later on in the mod. What I did was to use a silver color Dykem Mark & Code pen and marked each black wire that was next to the red wire. This is important so don't forget to do it!

Now you need to cut off a piece of sheathing about 12" long or so. Cut each end with a hot tool of your choice so the ends don't fray why you are working on the cable assembly. Take your cut off piece and slide it down the longest wire assembly you have. Please pick a sheath size much bigger than you would normally use for your power cables as you are going to have a total of twelve (12) wires in this assembly eventually. If you use to small it will not look good unless you like to see colored wire through the sheathing.

The next thing I did was to put a small piece of heatshrink near the plastic molex connector so the heatshrink would not move.

Okay now the fun starts. What you need to do is to put the completed assembly in the top mounted drive. Then you need to guesstimate where the next cable assembly will get inserted into the sheathing. I did this by taking the second connector assembly and plugged it into the HD below the top one. Then you can easily see where you will want the assembly to go. Once you decide where it will go you take the phillips screwdriver and open a small hole in the side of the sheathing. It helps if you gather up a bit of sheathing so it is looser where you want to insert the screwdriver.

At this point in the mod you should get something that looks kind of like this.

The completed mod will look like the following two pics.

And of course what you get out of all this is a power cable your way. ;D

Tomorrow I will solder up all these wires so that the one set of cables coming off the PSU will attach to my HD cable assembly.

Gelöschter Benutzer

unregistriert

Re: PSU cables: Have it your way

Sonntag, 21. August 2005, 11:20

Looks very clean :o Good job !!!

Sonntag, 21. August 2005, 12:28

As I already mentioned in the English Forum, niec work :)

Donnerstag, 1. September 2005, 00:28

Zitat von »Möppel«

Looks very clean :o Good job !!!

Thanks for the kind words. :) I'm currently waiting on some AC parts for my cooling loops so I know where the tubes will run before I finish up on the rest of the wiring looms.

Donnerstag, 1. September 2005, 04:02

Nice tutorial! The result looks fantastic! :D
Die Weisheit des Tages: "Nein, ISDN ist nicht die Abkürzung für 'Ich seh da nix'..." ^^

"10 Stunden harte Arbeit sind nix für ne Bürotussi wie mich..." - Chewy

Donnerstag, 1. September 2005, 12:50

Very nice :o

Really good work.
C programmers never die. They are just cast into void. Neues moddingtech.de Portal online!

Donnerstag, 1. September 2005, 22:42

Sorry das krieg ich nicht auf englisch hin.

Kann mir jemand sagen wie dann die 3 "einzelnen" Stecker unten wieder ans Netzteil angeschlossen werden?
Verbindet man da einfach alle 3 schwarzen nochmal alle 3 schwarzen alle 3 gelben und alle 3 roten und macht sie dann wieder in einen 4 Pol stecker??

Gruß Hanni

Edit:

I need a picture what that all looks like if you connect it to the psu

Freitag, 16. September 2005, 13:15

Zitat von »Hanni«

Sorry das krieg ich nicht auf englisch hin.

Kann mir jemand sagen wie dann die 3 "einzelnen" Stecker unten wieder ans Netzteil angeschlossen werden?
Verbindet man da einfach alle 3 schwarzen nochmal alle 3 schwarzen alle 3 gelben und alle 3 roten und macht sie dann wieder in einen 4 Pol stecker??

Gruß Hanni

Edit:

I need a picture what that all looks like if you connect it to the psu

Just a quick note to let you know that I hadn't forgot you, but got tied up in another problem related to adding some watercooling stuff to the case. Probably next week sometime I will be able to post some pics showing the connections to the PSU loom.

Re: PSU cables:  Have it your way

Freitag, 16. September 2005, 18:39

Top notch work!

Re: PSU cables:  Have it your way

Dienstag, 20. September 2005, 00:18

wow!!

Donnerstag, 22. September 2005, 19:22

Really nice work!

Looks like HSVP, if you know what I mean...
An meinen Rechner lass ich nur Wasser und AC!