• 28.04.2024, 00:39
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Redundant pumps and flow rate using Y fittings.

Mittwoch, 25. August 2004, 18:29

For my watercooling setup iam going to be using 2 eheim pumps in parallel to provide redundancy if one of the pumps fails the other will continue working until its fixed or replaced. Anyway I would like the performance of the 1250 pump (1200l/h), if I use 2x 1048 pumps (600l/h each) will I at least achieve similar perfromance to the 1250? Assuming the use of Y fittings (9/10mm ID tubing) on both inlet and outlets. Noise and power isnt an issue since the pumps will be dampned and noise issolated, the other issue is the magnetic fields if I end up having 2x 1250's.

KLEO

JE

Re: Redundant pumps and flow rate using Y fittings

Mittwoch, 25. August 2004, 18:49

Oh my God, why do you want to have a 1250???

Even a 1048 is bigger then neccessary for almost every System.

if you have a closed System, even if it is really big, one 1046 is more than enough.

Y-fittings are quite a problem, because you cant know where the water will flow.

So, if you want redundancy, take 2 1046 in row.
No, a stopped pump wont stop the water.

By the way: even 30l/hour are enough for cooling.
And no, more performance on pumps won't result in a cooler system ore something.. its just more expensive, louder and bigger.
Suche: Notebook ab 700 MHz,128MB RAM (besser 256),DVD-ROM,10 GB (besser 20) HDD. Kein Gericom o.ä. Max. 400 Euro. PM oder email. AquaComputer-FAQs

Mittwoch, 25. August 2004, 18:56

ok so what if the impleler freezes up, liquid cant get through.  I think the Y fittings should be OK until a pump fails.  Also the addition of valves should help with the direction of the flow, i.e. you can shut-off the path with the failed pump.  Unless someone has actually done something like this then its all thoery for now.

I should add that I will be cooling TECS, an 80W and a 223W and maybe when SLI comes along there will be another 80W, allthough I will need a big radiator to dissipate this kind of power.

JE

Mittwoch, 25. August 2004, 19:06

you can buy a system with to pumps like this:

--- pump 1 ---- ----pump 2----- ----
| | | |
--------------- ----------------
bypass 1 bypass 2

so you have the to pumps in row and if one fails you open the eh.. kugelhahn.. the water flows through the bypass and you can change the pump while the system is still working (if you have eh.. schnelltrennkupplungen )

and even if you want to cool 1000 w, the pump wont be the problem.. only the coolers and especially the radiators can be a problem.
Suche: Notebook ab 700 MHz,128MB RAM (besser 256),DVD-ROM,10 GB (besser 20) HDD. Kein Gericom o.ä. Max. 400 Euro. PM oder email. AquaComputer-FAQs

Mittwoch, 25. August 2004, 19:24

bad idea, two pumps parallel with y-fittings ;), if one pumpe fails, all the water will go through this one, and wont be available for cooling the chips.

use them in an row, then you also get more pressure, and with that the more power you want ;)
and if one pump fails, the water will still flow in the system

oh, before i forget, i would wonder if an eheim will ever fail ;) if they once work, they're unbreakable ;D
Verwende keine sinnlose Gewalt. Hol einen größeren Hammer.

Mittwoch, 25. August 2004, 19:42

OK good ideas, the row approach sounds good.  I think 2 pumps for say a performance machine (net, gaming etc..) is overkill but fot a 24/7 workstation definetly need 2 pumps.
Then again using a water cooling setup with TECS I think you need that extra pump just in case, the last thing you need is an overheating TEC.

Also how much heat can the airplex 320 dissipate as it was shown it was the highest performing 3x120mm radiator to date.

JE

Donnerstag, 26. August 2004, 11:52

By the Way.. by do you want to have a 24/7-machine using TECs? TECs are very Expensive in Use because of the electricity they need.
Maybe a simple Hardware-update is cheaper?

You might be interested in the TCS (Shop/Zubehör). Its a precaution against overheating CPUs.

Donnerstag, 26. August 2004, 15:50

No I dont want to run TECS 24/7, I just want to have a backup pump allways there just in case the other one fails, it just feels safer especially when there are TECS involved.

JE

Donnerstag, 26. August 2004, 16:51

I understand, but if you have a TEC on a CPU an switch it off, it won't transport heat anymore, as far as i know.

Did you say why do you want to use TECs?

Donnerstag, 26. August 2004, 20:07

Can you combine the TCS with the aquaero,they use the same method when cutting out the PSU I assume. How does this TCS work, where does it go etc...

JE

Freitag, 27. August 2004, 13:39

ehm.. i think the difference is,that the TCS is in Hardware and the Aquaero has Soft-TCS.

a TCS simply shuts down the PC if the CPU is to hot.
The TCS (hardware) simply is glued at the CPU-Cooler an connencted to a cabel of the PSU.

if the temperature is above a special temperature (unknown,i guess 65 °C), the TCS shuts down the PC (hard-off).

I would prefer a combination of a TCS (Hard-TCS or Soft-TCS by Aquaero) with a flowcontrol.

Freitag, 27. August 2004, 14:56

I onlt see this usefull in motherboard without thermal shutdown. The latest abit mb's have the ability to shut down on any health parameter being fan speed, voltage or temperature.

JE

Freitag, 27. August 2004, 15:11

Oh, I have'nt heard of such mainboards before.
But at least the flowcontrol is a feature that no mainboard can have.

By the way: even if all pumps fail, you have some time before any damages occur.
Its at least some minutes, but i even heard of a case where a system worked for 50-60 minutes without pumps and still was'nt damaged.

but even if watercooled systems are more secure than aircooled systems, you better take some extra precautions like TCS or flowcontrol.

Montag, 30. August 2004, 19:36

I assume the aqua computer flow meter gives a fan style rpm output suitable for connection to a motherboard? This was available before the aqua aero wasnt it?

Montag, 30. August 2004, 19:47

I still do not understand why anyone should be interested in running two eheims for redundancy reason. The eheim products are made for fish, and designed to run decades of years without breaking (and the nice thing is that they really do ;) ) so redundancy is not a factor i think.
In a modern system there are sooo many parts that can (and will) break down long before the eheim that the last thing to care about is a breakdown of the pump...

"When mountains speak, wise men listen" - John Muir