• 28.04.2024, 10:34
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

MrToad

High Speed Aquabus, what's the maximum cable length?

Sonntag, 12. August 2012, 22:19

Hi beautiful people:

As the subject reads, what would be the maximum cable length for the High Speed Aquabus?

Also what cable would be preferable for a long run? Twisted pair like network cable? Shielded like USB2.0/3.0 cable? Or it doesn't really matter?

Thanks

EDIT:Whoops, forgot... How many devices can you daisy-chain on the Aquabus?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »MrToad« (12. August 2012, 22:53)

Dienstag, 14. August 2012, 19:38

First, I am not an electrical Engineer or an employie of AC. But, I have seen Shoggy post on other threads that the AQ5 will handle 8 PA2's and Two Aquastream pumps on the High Speed bus with the current firmware. with room to spare for more. Given that Aquastream pumps have Aquabus addresses of 10 or 11, and the PA 2 addresses are 50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57, and up to 4 MPS sensors can be connected as well. I don't think there is really a limit to the Aquabus daisy chain devices, only a limit on what devices the Aquero can control.
For the total length, I sugest measure the standard "Aquabus cable" length and multiply by 10 for unshielded cable length. More if shielded cable is used.
I am guessing that you want to run an Aquabus cable from the computer out of your case and over to a PA2 or pump living inside an external radiator case/housing. If that is your plan, I would take a standard 5pin USB cable and change the connectors to three pin and not worry about it. I think the practical limit to Aquabus length is voltage drop through cable end connections, not wire length. Given the care the Aqua Computer guys have shown so far, I am fairly sure someone in their R&D tested the amount of RFI the Aquabus picks up and made alowance for it. I kind of doubt they tested for how long the cables can be and still operate correctly. The longest USB cable without a booster is 15 feet as far as I know, and the AQUA bus probably uses the same electronics for both USB and Aquabus, just differnt pin outs. So I would GUESS that a total of 10 to 15 feet with all devices connected would be about the limit.
Good luck!

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »LarryWill729« (14. August 2012, 19:55)

AMD FX-8150 OctoCore O.C. 18% to 4.2 GHz on ASUS M5A99X EVO with 16 GB Corsair Dominator W. C. RAM, 2 nVIDIA Geforce 560TI W.C. in SLI, six Western Digital drives for a total of 4.07 TBytes, AquaComputer Aquero 5 Pro, AquaComputer D5 pump, Multiswitch USB, tubemeter and Kyros CPU block. Two coolant loops,CPU & SLI, MB, RAM and AQ5, with two flow meters. Running Windows 7 Professional 64, and using Open Hardware Monitor v0.5.1Beta Aquasuite B16 hardware temps.

MrToad

Dienstag, 14. August 2012, 20:54

First, I am not an electrical Engineer or an employie of AC. But, I have seen Shoggy post on other threads that the AQ5 will handle 8 PA2's and Two Aquastream pumps on the High Speed bus with the current firmware. with room to spare for more. Given that Aquastream pumps have Aquabus addresses of 10 or 11, and the PA 2 addresses are 50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57, and up to 4 MPS sensors can be connected as well. I don't think there is really a limit to the Aquabus daisy chain devices, only a limit on what devices the Aquero can control.
For the total length, I sugest measure the standard "Aquabus cable" length and multiply by 10 for unshielded cable length. More if shielded cable is used.
I am guessing that you want to run an Aquabus cable from the computer out of your case and over to a PA2 or pump living inside an external radiator case/housing. If that is your plan, I would take a standard 5pin USB cable and change the connectors to three pin and not worry about it. I think the practical limit to Aquabus length is voltage drop through cable end connections, not wire length. Given the care the Aqua Computer guys have shown so far, I am fairly sure someone in their R&D tested the amount of RFI the Aquabus picks up and made alowance for it. I kind of doubt they tested for how long the cables can be and still operate correctly. The longest USB cable without a booster is 15 feet as far as I know, and the AQUA bus probably uses the same electronics for both USB and Aquabus, just differnt pin outs. So I would GUESS that a total of 10 to 15 feet with all devices connected would be about the limit.
Good luck!

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

I'm moving the radiator, pumps etc to the basement (directly below where my rig is) where I put all the "noisy" stuff (server, switches etc etc) but I still want to monitor air in/air out temps and other parameters. I could put a USB hub down there and connect the PA2s etc via USB but I thought Aquabus would be... neater :)

I know that the Aquabus is a I2C bus (Shoggy has confirmed this) but the I2C norm is... very flexible. Depending on frequency and circuitry each end cable lenghts vary wildly. I'll probaly use decent USB2 cable as suggested and try. Is only a 2.5M run... if it doesn't work, well, plan B, use USB.

Thank you for the infor on the maximum number of devices, that was really useful too :)

Donnerstag, 6. September 2012, 11:38

The maximum length will depend on many things and will also vary from system to system. Keep that as short as possible.

2.5m already sounds very critical to me.

MrToad

Donnerstag, 6. September 2012, 16:46

The maximum length will depend on many things and will also vary from system to system. Keep that as short as possible.

2.5m already sounds very critical to me.

Well, that tips the balance really... I'm getting the new flow sensor and pressure sensor and runnin the whole thing via USB.

At least I know I can run a 3m USB cable without breaking a sweat.