• 18.05.2024, 08:12
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

A couple of Aquaero 5 questions

Freitag, 17. August 2012, 20:28

Hi,

I just ordered an Aquaero 5 to go with a new water cooling setup I am doing.

I have some questions:

1. I have ordered the LT edition, the only voltage-controlled fans it will have attached will be 4x Phobya G-Silent 18 on a radiator, which are 180mm 700rpm fans rated at 0.13 amps each. I would like to run them very slow when the water temperature to air delta is low, maybe as slow as 300rpm if they will go down that low - given that I have the LT without the heatsink on the fan amplifiers, will all 4 of these be safe on 1 channel, even if slowed to minimum speed at 5v or whatever? I will probably dig out some ramsinks and a small fan anyway and add these to the aquaero to cool the amplifiers, but I'm just curious to know whether running entirely without any heatsink will handle this kind of moderate load without affecting the lifetime of the aquaero.

2. Can I entirely stop fans with the aquaero? If so, does it automatically start them back up with a "pulse" of 12v to get them started, then ramp them back down? It occurs to me that it might be nice to have my rad fans (see 1) entirely stop sometimes, as I suspect under light desktop type loads, my rad (Phobya 1080) may be so big it can handle the heat passively, and the fans may be able to be off a lot of the time, which would be nice and silent.

3. I have ordered items 53037 (atx standby and break adapter) and 53036 (relay plug) so that I can use the ATX-break emergency shutdown method, if for example my flow sensor detected a lack of flow. Is it possible to set up alerts for "soft off" type shutdowns, so I could have say a threshold of 3lpm of flow that initiates a graceful shutdown of windows, but if it drops below 1lpm then a "hard" power off via the atx-break is done? I'd like to do the same thing with water temperature, so say I set up a graceful shutdown at 40 degrees, but if 50 is reached it powers off instantly. I'm not sure how a graceful windows shutdown would work, as I don't know much about the interaction of the aquaero with the aquasuite software running on the PC, so has anything like this been implemented?

Thanks, looking forward to getting started when it arrives.

Freitag, 17. August 2012, 21:37

1. Not positive about this but as they are such low rpm fans I would just run them at full speed. Doubt it will make any difference in actual noise tbh. It is really just trial and error, connect them up and lower the voltage then monitor how high the temp of the LT goes.

2. Yes, there is a funtion called "startboost" which you can customize to apply any % of voltage for any amount of time to start the fans up.

3. Yes you can set alarms to do pretty much anything, not positive but I think the atx standby and break adapter may be a little redundant as you can use soft commands (Keyboard Sleep and Keyboard Power) within the Alarm Actions to put the system to sleep and turn it off. I guess the only thing you would use it for it to shut the system down instantly but again most motherboards will do this anyway if the temp get too high.

I think you will love the kit but be prepared for a few hours of tinkering, there are so many functions to the software it will take some time to get to know it all. :)

Sonntag, 19. August 2012, 04:01

Thanks for the reply. I'm a little sensitive about fan noise, and can definitely hear my 200mm coolermaster fans in my HAF X at full RPM - I think they are 700rpm, but I'm OK with them at 350, so I think I will want to slow the rad fans. If the fan amps get hot, I'll just have to put the available waterblock on them I guess.

Sonntag, 19. August 2012, 07:03

Thanks for the reply. I'm a little sensitive about fan noise, and can definitely hear my 200mm coolermaster fans in my HAF X at full RPM - I think they are 700rpm, but I'm OK with them at 350, so I think I will want to slow the rad fans. If the fan amps get hot, I'll just have to put the available waterblock on them I guess.
There is also a passive heatsink available from the AC webshop if you don't feel like making your watercooling loop any more complicated and it does a decent job of keep the fan-amps under control. If you are handy you can make a small bracket that fits onto the Aquaero to position a 60 or 80mm fan over it to actively cool it and it works even better.

Montag, 20. August 2012, 03:56

Yes, I have seen the heatsink. I have loads laying around, so I will cut something up and make one to stick a small fan on first, and see how it goes. I expect that will be enough for my purposes, and as you said the waterblock is just more restriction in the loop (not to mention more money) so I'll only do that if temps get uncomfortable.