• 27.04.2024, 19:59
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Jeremy

Free monitoring software for software sensors?

Samstag, 27. April 2013, 19:54

Is Open Hardware Monitor the only non-cost option that works with Aquasuite?

The reason I'm asking is that I've been having some intermittent trouble with it. I have 4 storage devices in my computer. One SSD with a static-reading temp sensor and three mechanical HDDs of various capacities. I have a fan in front of the hard drive cage whose speed is determined by the temperature of the drive that runs the hottest.

Problem is, every once in a while OHM reports HD1 (the hot drive) with HD0's temperature (a constant 30 deg C). This means that the HD cooling fan never spins up and the mechanical hard drives start getting very warm. The only solution that seems to work is a full system reboot. SpeedFan never confuses the HD numbers, so it doesn't appear to be a hardware reporting or Windows issue. Re-starting Aquasuite or the Aqua Computer Windows Service doesn't fix the issue. The problem seems to be specific to Open Hardware Monitor software. This is potentially dangerous as I don't always watch my temperatures. I have software that doesn't that for me.

I'm running the latest version of the Open Hardware Monitor software (0.51), but creator hasn't updated it in a while. Is there another free software option that works with Aquasuite's software sensors, or is my only other option ponying up $40 for AIDA64? That seems a pricey option just to get working sensor readings into Aquasuite.

Samstag, 27. April 2013, 20:52

You could just give your fan a minimum setting (from the Aquasuite fan settings screen) so it always has just enough OOommph to get the fan started & not drop below that start setting you set?

I don't know of any other Free software that is compatible with Aquasuite, I've not heard of any anyway..

N.

Jeremy

Samstag, 27. April 2013, 21:16

The issue with that is that hard drive longevity increases if they're allowed to get a little warm, so the fan doesn't turn on until they warm up a bit. If I ran the fan constantly, even at it's lowest possible setting, the discs would take a long time to get up to temp if they ever got there at all.

Basically, it feels like I'd be engineering my way around a problem that shouldn't exist by doing that.

Samstag, 27. April 2013, 21:31

What can I say?.... I don't have that issue with OHM or Aida64 (yes I use both) & this is the first time I've heard anyone having this trouble with OHM.. Someone may come along that has had this issue or knows someone who does & maybe they can help :) ..

N.

Jeremy

Samstag, 27. April 2013, 22:19

Yea, it's kind of an odd issue I suppose. The reported temp within OHM is correct when this happens if you look at device names, it's just that it reports HD0's temp in the slot that it normally uses for HD1. For the cost of free I suppose I can't complain, but I do wish temperature monitoring was a part of Aquasuite instead of requiring other programs.

Jeremy

Donnerstag, 13. Juni 2013, 18:18

Update and what I think will be my final solution for this.

The problem kept occurring at random, but I finally had a brain cell fire off an idea at me today.

Virtual sensors. I set a Virtual Sensor with all the hard drives in the system, and had it take the highest one. Even if the name/number they get reported as jumbles around, I'm only concerned with the highest one anyway. The only downside is that since I have 4 drives (SSD plus 3 HDD), I had to use two virtual sensor slots to pull it off. Thankfully, the software allows one virtual sensor to be used as reference in another virtual sensor.

There's no way to increase the number of input slots a virtual sensor uses for input, right? No way to make it look at the highest of 4 values?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Jeremy« (13. Juni 2013, 18:20)

Donnerstag, 13. Juni 2013, 21:28

Just a thought, but have you considered using a low rpm fan, or a fan that moves a relatively low amount of air?

I have 2 92mm Sharkoon silent eagle 1000's blowing over heat pipes that come on at really really low rpm, max being about 1000rpm and have about as much effect as an asthmatic ant at low speed.

Jeremy

Donnerstag, 13. Juni 2013, 22:51

A Yate Loon 120mm fan spinning at 200rpm keeps the drives at a very comfortable 35-38deg C. It spins up from there as needed if ambient starts getting toasty (which it does in the summer), keeping the things at 40-41 deg C or less. "Asthmatic ant" is a good way to describe a Yate Loon at 215 rpm, both in terms of airflow and noise production, but it's just enough to do what it needs to.

Freitag, 14. Juni 2013, 08:50

could always run one or 2 sensors from you AQ to the aluminium body of the hard drives. Then you are not software dependent, I find OHM reported values jump around too much, but I have not/will not cough up the 40 for AIDA64.
You can always set the default value of the software sensors so that if OHM fails/crashes your fan is turned on.

Given how much HDD capacity has increased over the years, and how many "small " drives I have laying around the shed, I gave up on trying to get 10 years out of them and instead went for a NAS with Raid 6. I plan for them to fail.