• 26.04.2024, 06:25
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

What would be the best device to buy and would this config work?

Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013, 10:30

Hi Guys,

A real newb question here but probably a super easy one to the guys in the know..

1) I have a need to control 8 fans (over 4 channels) independently without the need of a PC being on... (i have access to a pc to set up the device but the device needs to just work independently of the PC being on)

2) the fans must react to the temp rising in the case and cool the case automatically (4 probes needed!) with no manual intervention and having access to set a cooling curve would be handy but as long as the fans come on at "x degrees" and variably speed up as the temp rises until they reach 100% -That's really the goal here.

3) I would like to have a display to show temp of each fan channel and current RPM if possible (but can live without a graphic readout)

4) I would like to use the Scythe "Gentle Typhoon" fans but i don't believe they are PWM fans would this be an issue when trying to variably control the speed of the fans with any of the controllers?

5) As a bonus it would be lovely if there was a way of IR controlling 8 cold cathode tubes by the device but this isnt a deal breaker!

6) I was originally looking at the t-balancer to control this setup but it dosnt have any sort of visual display which is a little annoying and development seems to be non-existant! (BigNG) so would like to use one of the AquaComputer devices if possible!

7) I like the look of the AquaAero 5 controller buy can't decide whether the AquaAero LT would be a better fit for the job but cant tell if it needs the AquaAero 5 device to be present to use it?

Laslty, would i need the battery expansion module for the units to hold onto their configurations IF using them without a constant PC? or do the configs save to the units in a different way?

Any info would be LEGENDARY! :)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 12 mal editiert, zuletzt von »phoenix_rising« (26. Juni 2013, 12:58)

Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013, 14:18

Silly question time.
Why would you need to cool your PC or have fans running if it's not on?

An Aquaero 5 can do all of your requirements but as far as I know it does really need your PC to be on unless your going to use a separate power supply for it.

Gentle Typhoon fans work great, their what I use

Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013, 15:04

My bad - I should have explained the situation!
i was hoping to use the unit as an intelligent fan control system for my AV cabinet using a 5amp molex power supply! So would rather have it detached from the PC once its all set up!
Did you need to buy PWM fans to use PWM functionality with the controller?

Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013, 15:40

1: The Aquaero 5 is stand-alone (only power supply necessary) you only need a pc to set it up.
2: The Aquaero 5 can do this. (4 probes in the purchased parts package)
3: LT no display, PRO&XT display
4: The are ok, you do not want PWM

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »EnigmaG« (26. Juni 2013, 15:42)

Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013, 15:44

Thanks Enigma!
The Aquaero 5 can do this. (4 probes in the purchased parts package)

Can i use 4 digital probes? Or do they need to be analog?

The are ok, you do not want PWM
So if i buy Non-PWM fans i can still variably control the frequency curve of the fans etc?

1) Would i need the battery expansion module for the units to hold onto their configurations IF using them constant plugged into a PC? or do the configs save to the units in a different way?
2) Are there any accessory cables that i can use too attach lighting to the board? (Lighting has a standard 4 pin molex cable on it!)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »phoenix_rising« (26. Juni 2013, 15:46)

Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013, 15:47

Thanks Enigma!
The Aquaero 5 can do this. (4 probes in the purchased parts package)

Can i use 4 digital probes? Or do they need to be analog?

No, only analog 10KOm

Zitat

The are ok, you do not want PWM
So if i buy Non-PWM fans i can still variably control the frequency curve of the fans etc?

No, but the voltage.

Zitat

:: would i need the battery expansion module for the units to hold onto their configurations IF using them constant plugged into a PC? or do the configs save to the units in a different way?

battery expansion only vor the Clock

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »EnigmaG« (26. Juni 2013, 15:49)

Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013, 15:55

Awesome!
Im a little bit unsure of what fans i should buy to have the aquaero 5 variably control the fan curve and be able to run them from 10% -> 100% progressively....
PWM or non-PWM???

Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013, 16:18

AE5 only has only one channel for PWM.
10% are to low for PWM and voltage, but with voltage you can turn it off, with PWM not.

Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013, 16:41

Ah.. So what level of control do you have over STANDARD NON-PWM fans on the AE5?
I need the controller to adjust all 4 channels independantly based apon the temperatures being read from the probes, for example:
@ 20c = 800rpm
@ 21c = 830rpm
@ 22c = 860pm
You get the idea...
This needs to be completely automatic....
Can someone explain to me whether this is possible with the AE5?>=

Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013, 16:56

No problem. That's what´s the AE 5 for.
»EnigmaG« hat folgendes Bild angehängt:
  • Unbenannt.png

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »EnigmaG« (26. Juni 2013, 16:59)

Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013, 17:26

Thats great Enigma and your using non-PWM fans with that power curve control yea?

Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013, 17:54

Yes, i do.(BeQuiet)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »EnigmaG« (26. Juni 2013, 17:56)

Pilo

RE: What would be the best device to buy and would this config work?

Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013, 20:15

1) I have a need to control 8 fans (over 4 channels) independently without the need of a PC being on... (i have access to a pc to set up the device but the device needs to just work independently of the PC being on)
I'm sure all three types of the Aquaero 5 could handle that matter if you attach an external power supply like for example the following one:

If you need to control 8 fans with only 4 channels and also need to monitor the RPM at the same time, you must make sure, that just one RPM signal from one of the two fans gets through. Because otherwise both signals would interfere with each other.

Zitat

2) the fans must react to the temp rising in the case and cool the case automatically (4 probes needed!) with no manual intervention and having access to set a cooling curve would be handy but as long as the fans come on at "x degrees" and variably speed up as the temp rises until they reach 100% -That's really the goal here.
If you connect the Aquaero 5 via USB to a Windows Computer with the latest aquasuite 2013 software, you can easily set up several controller typs like a 'set point', 'two point', 'curve' or 'constant value' controller. In the end the aqauero stores the settings in an internal memory and acts independent without the USB connection to a computer and the aquasuite software.

Zitat

3) I would like to have a display to show temp of each fan channel and current RPM if possible (but can live without a graphic readout)
The two aquaero 5 with a display are the Pro and the XT Versions.

Zitat

4) I would like to use the Scythe "Gentle Typhoon" fans but i don't believe they are PWM fans would this be an issue when trying to variably control the speed of the fans with any of the controllers?
The Aquaero 5 has only one PWM channel to control PWM devices such as fans. The other three channels use a transistor power control. These transistors produce a lot of heat (power loss) when the voltage is regulated under the regular 12 Volts. Perhaps a little cooling air for the Aquaero cooler is needed. Oh, I forgot to mention, the a 4 pin pwm fan behaves exactly like a 3 pin fan if only connected to a 3 pin power controller.

Zitat

5) As a bonus it would be lovely if there was a way of IR controlling 8 cold cathode tubes by the device but this isnt a deal breaker!
The only Aquaero 5 delivered with an IR remote control is the XT version, but the IR RC is also optional for the Pro version. The LT version has no IR receiver. I don't know if it's possible to connect and control the AC multiswitch with the Aquaero 5 and the Aquabus connection. But I imply it could be possible, because if you connect both devices via Aquabus, the multiswitch becomes an integrated part of the Aquaero 5 section in the Aquasuite software. But that's only a guessing.

Zitat

6) I was originally looking at the t-balancer to control this setup but it dosnt have any sort of visual display which is a little annoying and development seems to be non-existant! (BigNG) so would like to use one of the AquaComputer devices if possible!
NC

Zitat

7) I like the look of the AquaAero 5 controller buy can't decide whether the AquaAero LT would be a better fit for the job but cant tell if it needs the AquaAero 5 device to be present to use it?
See answers above. The Aquaero 5 LT uses the same PCB and has nearly the same functions as the Pro or XT versions. It only has no display, IR receiver, cooler and other attributive optional equipment.

Zitat

Laslty, would i need the battery expansion module for the units to hold onto their configurations IF using them without a constant PC? or do the configs save to the units in a different way?
The Real Time Clock expansion module for aquaero 5 is just like the name implys only needed to preserve the time for the integrated clock after the computer is shut down. The settings of the Aquaero 5 are stored in an integreted flash memory within the Aquaero itself.

http://aquacomputer.de/handbuecher.html?…_2011_08_22.pdf
http://aquacomputer.de/handbuecher.html?…sh_20120719.pdf
http://aquacomputer.de/handbuecher.html?…sh_20121025.pdf

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Pilo« (26. Juni 2013, 20:28)

->Darin Epsilon - PERSPECTIVES<-
Mr. SuicideSheep @ soundcloud.com
Test Shot Starfish @ soundcloud.com
Professor Kliq @ soundcloud.com

Mittwoch, 26. Juni 2013, 20:25

The Aquaero 5 has only one PWM channel to control PWM devices such as fans. The other three channels use a transistor power control. These transistors produce a lot of heat (power loss) when the voltage is regulated under the regular 12 Volts. Perhaps a little cooling air for the Aquaero cooler is needed.

8 fans (over 4 channels) cooling shouldn't be a issue.

Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2013, 12:01

Awesome guys thanks sooo much..
Lastly ... I noticed that the analogue probe only has a 70cm cable attached and my cabinet is VERY large would it be an issue if i were to extend the probes by 1 - 1.50 meters? can someone link me to an extension cable that would allow me to do this?

1) Can anyone suggest a better fan than the gentle typhoon series for pushing more than 50cfm at 21db(A)? before i take the plunge and buy 8 of them!

2) Would i need to add any heatsinks or cool the Aquaero 5 when using 8 of these fans throttled over it's 4 channels (2 a channel) all 8 fans totals too 0.4amps amps i think?

3) Can anyone link me to an EXTERNAL USB cable that would work with interfacing with the Aquaero?

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von »phoenix_rising« (27. Juni 2013, 15:29)

Pilo

Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2013, 21:15

1. What size should your fans have?...40 mm, 50 mm, 60 mm, 80 mm, 92 mm, 120 mm, 140mm, 180 mm?
    But I'm guessing you meant the Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm, no?
    Personally, I'm a fan of Be Quiet cooling fans.

2. Probably none. The Aquaero 5 Pro and XT have an aluminium heatsink installed. But not the LT version.
    Also, the Aquaero has an automatic protection to avoid an overheating of the transistors.

3. Don't know any and I'm also to lazy to search, just like you ;) :P
->Darin Epsilon - PERSPECTIVES<-
Mr. SuicideSheep @ soundcloud.com
Test Shot Starfish @ soundcloud.com
Professor Kliq @ soundcloud.com

Freitag, 28. Juni 2013, 15:51

Thanks Pilo -- I have looked for the 5 pin header to usb external cable and also searched for 5 pin to lcd cables which i believe are v.similar... however i could only find one my akasa in the US... :(

Samstag, 29. Juni 2013, 03:12

I am thinking you will have to make your own cables??
Or find research a local source for something like:

e

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=P0837

With a cable like this

(keep in mind the internals of the chassis mount can be reversed)
http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=p…odel=EXUSBIE-40

Then you can get a long USB cable for connection when you need, and can remove when not needed.