• 27.04.2024, 14:55
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

hrmes

Aquaero 5 PWM fan signal

Freitag, 13. Mai 2011, 15:07

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I want to replace my T-Balancer with an Aquaero 5 but first I want to know a few details so that I can decide what fans to use with it.

What I want to know is, when you are using channel 4 in PWM mode, if the PWM signal is in any way calibrated to reflect the real percentage of maximum fan RPM, or if the PWM signal is simply a raw PWM signal.
I'm asking this because I have tested a Noiseblocker 120mm PWM fan with a speed of 1000 to 2000 RPM with the SpeedFan utility.

I connected it to a 4-pin motherboard fan header and saw that the fan spins at about 900 RPM when the PWM signal is at 0%, at about 1500 RPM at 50% PWM signal, and at about 2000 RPM at 100% PWM signal.
This may seem normal but look at page 14 of the attached 4-wire PWM Developer Specs PDF. developer_specs_4_Wire_PWM_Spec.pdf

There it states: "The fan RPM (as a percentage of maximum RPM) should match the PWM duty cycle within +-10%."

If I understand correct this means that when the PWM duty cycle is at 50% then the fan should spin at 50% of maximum RPM, so in the case of the fan I tested when the PWM signal is at 50% the fan should spin at 1000 RPM and not at 1500. Obviously this happens because the fan manufacturer does not fully comply to the PWM fan guidelines.
If Aquaero 5 can't calibrate the PWM signal to reflect the true percentage of maximum fan RPM, then in the case of the Noiseblocker fan when Aquaero 5 sets the fan to run at 50%, it will actually be running at 75% (1500) of max RPM (2000).
In that case I think that a calibration option could be added to the firmware of Aquaero 5. It could run the fan from 0% to 100% PWM duty cycle and read the corresponding fan RPM at each PWM duty cycle. Then it could use that RPM data to calibrate the PWM signal.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »hrmes« (14. Mai 2011, 18:38)

hrmes

Mittwoch, 1. Juni 2011, 17:54

No official reply... :( Can any Aquaero 5 owner test a PWM fan and see if 50% fan channel power means 50% fan RPM ?