• 27.04.2024, 07:25
  • Registrieren
  • Anmelden
  • Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: Aqua Computer Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Seeking advice on how to connect and a full AquaComputer setup featuring Octo, Leakshield, D5 Next, and Flow Sensor Next.

Samstag, 17. Juni 2023, 21:53

Hello,

I'm about to make a large order of multiple components and I want to understand all the parts and accessories I'll need before purchase. I'll be building a super tower (Lian Li V3000 Plus) with four large radiators, and approximately 23 fans. I've water-cooled for years and am quite comfortable with it, but this is my first dive into AquaComputer products. The main components I'm looking at are:

UTILITUBE Pro D5 Next LEAKSHIELD
https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=4066&language=en

Octo:
https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=3832&language=en

Flow Sensor Next
https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=3953&language=en

Multiple Splitty9's?
https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=3420 https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=3830

In addition, I'll have a handful of temperature sensors.

Questions:
  1. In terms of connections, I'll be using a new MSI MEG ACE X670E motherboard, which offers only two internal USB2 headers (allowing 4 device connections in total). I understand the D5 Next, Leakshield, Flow Sensor Next, and Octo all have USB2 connectors, which would fully fill what the motherboard offers. Perhaps if I can connect components to each other that might provide greater flexibility without filling all the USB connections? Will that still offer the same functionality?
  2. Reading the manuals for each component, they all offer an aquabus connector that will allow them to connect to an Aquaero 5/6, but not an Octo. Does this mean I should completely ignore the aquabus connectors because they are only used for Aquaero connections, which I won't have?
  3. The D5 Next and Octo both support a flow sensor connection, but the manuals do not list the flow sensor Next as compatible (they list other models). Does this mean the Octo and D5 Next flow sensor connectors will be unused because of incompatibility with the new Next flow sensor?
  4. The Aquaero 6 LT seems to be aging and is no longer the best device compared to newer options like the Octo. However, would this older device still be superior for my application instead of an Octo?
  5. I have no interest in RGB, however my PC case does have a single ARGB connector which I suppose I'll just connect to the motherboard (since I can't control motherboard RGB with the Aquasuite software anyway, right?).
  6. If I connect all the devices via USB can they still talk to each other and function properly through AquaSuite? Will the Leakshield use the Flow Sensor Next in this manner, for example?

Lastly, did I miss anything? Any recommendations?

Thank you,

Jonathan

Sonntag, 18. Juni 2023, 00:52

Welcome to the forum. I will try to answer your questions as best I can.

1 – You can’t connect USB ports on multiple Aquacomputer (AC) devices to each other. Each one needs to go to its own USB port to the mobo. The solution is to install an internal USB 2.0 hub that is Sata or Molex powered. Connect the hub to one of your mobo USB2.0 ports then connect the AC device’s USB ports to the hub. AC sells the HUBBY7 which works very well for this purpose. The NZXT AC-IUSBH-M3 USB2.0 Hub is a tried and true alternative, which, unlike the Hubby7, is in stock at multiple online sites. I just bought one HERE because I could not find a HUbby7 in stock in the US. Keep away from cheap USB2.0 hubs on Amazon that aren’t Sata or Molex powered.

2 – With your devices, yes you can ignore aquabus. Aquabus is a legacy serial control protocol that has limited bandwidth. It is mainly used to connect devices to an Aquaero. The “Next” series of devices rely on USB communication with the Aquasuite (AQS) software. Some devices, like the Octo, still have an aquabus port but this is for connecting the Octo to an Aquaero, which will make the Octo a slave of the Aquaero controller.
The aquabus port on the D5 Next is used to connect the pump to an Aquaero. The manual says it can also be used as an RGBpx port (not at the same time). I am not clear on how this works because AC reps have said many times that aquabus has limited bandwidth and cannot carry the amount of data required by RGBpx. Maybe someone else can chime in here and clarify this. The aquabus port on the High Flow Next is for connection to an Aquaero. It has no other function.

3. Since you have a High Flow Next, which will be connected to the mobo via the USB2.0 hub, there is no need to use the flow sensor headers on the Octo or the D5 Next. There actually is a reason to connect the High Flow next Signal output to the D5 Next Fan/Flow header (with cable #53294) but it’s kind of complicated to explain. It has to do with the D5 Next virtual flow sensor being used as the data source for the pump’s Alarm function. If you want to know the details of this let me know and I will try to explain it.

4 - I don’t own an Aquaero so I don’t know a lot about it. It’s an older controller and I don’t think they are available anymore. You can still find them in stock here and there. AC said they are not making them now because some of the component prices have skyrocketed and some have 18-month lead times. They may resume manufacturing at some point in the future, or maybe they will release a new model.
The Aquaero does do some things that the Octo can’t, starting with being able to drive DC and PWM fans. The CaliTemp sensors can only be used with an Aquaero. The Aquaero also has a relay output and an Aquastream Bridge connector for the Aquastream pumps. The Aquaero is a complex device. If you are operating Linux it may be a consideration because the Next devices with USB require the Aquasuite service to be running which requires Windows. If you are running Windows, it is doubtful that an Aquaero would work better unless you have some unusual requirements.

5 - Aquasuite cannot control your mobo LEDs. It can control DRGB LEDs in fans, LED strips, etc. They have adapters to go to and from their RGBpx connectors (Molex Picoblade) to the standard (and horrible) DRGB connectors. Each RGBpx port can drive 90 DRGB LEDs.

6 – Yes. The Leakshield sensors will report the High Flow Next flow rate and the D5 Next Pump speed. All the devices have assignable virtual sensors as well.

Note - be sure to check out the Playground area of Aquasuite. This is where the real power lies. You can combine and process sensor data here and build virtual sensors that are based on real sensors. A very basic example is subtracting ambient temp from coolant temp, then using the difference between these temps (delta-t) as the control source for your fans. You could have the fan PWM ports track delta-t but also kick up to a higher speed if your CPU and/or GPU exceed a threshold temp for a period of time. If you have a temp sensor at the inlet and outlet of a rad, and you know the flow rate, you can calculate how many watts of heat the rad is dissipating. The possibilities are endless.

Sonntag, 18. Juni 2023, 13:20

As the leakshield can draw up to 500 ma, it should be connected to a usb port on the mobo, by itself.
Do not connect the leakshield to a usb splitter

Sonntag, 18. Juni 2023, 17:58

As the leakshield can draw up to 500 ma, it should be connected to a usb port on the mobo, by itself.
Do not connect the leakshield to a usb splitter
This is a good point but I thought it was OK to connect the Leakshield to a Sata powered USB hub. My Leakshield is plugged into a Hubby7 port and works fine. The Hubby7 is in Sata power mode. Is this a problem?

Remayz

Sonntag, 18. Juni 2023, 18:57

i believe it may be if you want the leakshield to operate while the PC is off ?.. some suspend states allow the motherboard USB headers to still be powered even when off if i'm not mistaken. That wouldn't work with SATA power. but it's probably a niche use of the leakshield.
I may be completely wrong but i believe i red about that somewhere here.

Sonntag, 18. Juni 2023, 20:47

Thanks for the input everyone.

Yes, I recall reading that Leakshield requires constant USB power, even when the system is off, but USB headers can continue providing power in this situation.

Speedy-VI, thanks for your responses. Concerning USB, I didn't intend to ask if I could connect devices to each other using USB. I actually meant could I use alternative connections like aquabus to reduce the number of motherboard USB connections I need. At the moment it sounds like I should connect all devices to internal motherboard USB 2 headers. This will use all my USB 2 headers, but that should be okay. I do worry that for future upgrades I'll no longer have USB 2 on my motherboard and these components will no longer function.

Yes, I intend to mess with the Playground settings, virtual sensors, calculating Delta-T, and other advanced functions. I'm trying to create an "endgame build" here, and I love nerdy statistics. Being able to measure the actual watts being produced by system components, and the watts dissipated by radiators would be particularly interesting. I'm oversizing my build considerably and anticipate being able to cool passively at idle with just radiator capacity.

To summarize, if I plug all devices into USB headers and completely ignore inter-connections directly between devices (sensor, aquabus, and flow connections), I can use Aquasuite to make them all work together only using separate USB connections? I'll be running Windows, so running Aquasuite won't be an issue (I assume it won't eat too many system resources?).

Lastly, I've just got to say, AquaComputer needs to create a proper tutorial and usage guide for their products. You shouldn't have to do all this research and reading to understand the products. Make a 1 hour YouTube video and show all the details of building a full system with all the components, step by step. Just make it easy. If I can do extreme overclocking on my CPU and Memory by watching a guy tweak a bios in a video and save hours of my own time in the process, I should certainly be able to find an AquaComputer tutorial as well. This doesn't need to be difficult. :)

Thank you,

Jonathan

Remayz

Sonntag, 18. Juni 2023, 22:26

Basically, Aquabus is a legacy feature by now. USB control is the norm with all new products. Aquabus still has its uses for people not using windows, but it's a very special use case.
Through Aquasuite, you can use any sensor to control any device. The Aquasuite service takes care of everything even without physical interconnexions.
All devices have Software sensors where you can add sensors from another device. For example, if you want to use the temperature sensor of the High flow NEXT on the octo, just open the sensors page of t he Octo, pick a software sensor and add the HFNext temperature sensor in it. then that sensor is available for the Octo to use.

Or of course, you can do your Playground virtual sensors, using combinations of various hardware sensors from various devices.
You then add that virtual sensor to any device on one of its free software sensors to be used for control.

And yes, a little video series explaining how to use the software would be cool :) at least to explain the basics, the concept of software sensor and maybe a few basic examples with the playground.

Sonntag, 18. Juni 2023, 22:40

If you run out of USB2.0 headers on your mobo, just get a Hubby7 or an NZXT AC-IUSBH-M3. They are both Sata powered and quality products (which is surprising from NZXT). The only downside is they are not going to stay powered when the computer is off, so plan your port loading accordingly.

Regarding Aquasuite's documentation, their manuals are a good starting point but they do not cover everything. While they could do a better job with their documentation, it would be impossible to document everything that can be done in the Playground. There are several good sources for additional information, starting with this forum.
Hardwareluxxe also has an Aquasuite forum. It’s in German but your browser should be able to translate it. There is also a Discord channel called Aquacomputer Unofficial but sadly it is not very active. Finally there are a few instructional videos from Kaybee Tech on Youtube. He has a Beginner's Guide and several videos about doing some things in the Playground. This should get you started.

I also recommend that you consider importing data from HWINFO into Aquasuite via the Shared Memory Support interface. Aquasuite does directly poll sensors but not as many as HWINFO and its sensor polling it not updated as often as HWINFO. I recently posted about the advantages of doing this HERE. Aquasuite can also import data from AIDA but I don't know how that compares because I import sensor data from HWINFO.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Speedy-VI« (18. Juni 2023, 22:42)

Sonntag, 18. Juni 2023, 23:31

i believe it may be if you want the leakshield to operate while the PC is off ?.. some suspend states allow the motherboard USB headers to still be powered even when off if i'm not mistaken. That wouldn't work with SATA power. but it's probably a niche use of the leakshield.
I may be completely wrong but i believe i red about that somewhere here.
My LKS is still in a test loop so it currently does not need to stay powered up when the computer is off. When the loop goes in the case, I will want to keep the LkS powered on all the time, so I will have to move its USB from the Hubby7 to a port that stays powered. I am a bit concerned about how much current the USB2.0 headers on my Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero mobo can provide.

There are 2 headers (USB1213 and USB_E56). The mobo manual does not provide any current specs but in THIS POST forum member DaL iu claimed that the USB_E56 port has half the current capacity of USB1213. FWIW, I dug into this and think he was confused. The Crosshair VII Hero’s 2nd USB2.0 header (USB15) had only 1 set of data pins wired but on the Crosshair VIII Hero and Dark Hero, both USB2.0 headers have both sets of data pins wired. This also has nothing to do with how much current they can provide. I think the 2 headers on my Dark Hero are functionally the same but I still don’t know how much current they can source. The USB2.0 spec says 5V @ 500ma so hopefully the Asus USB2.0 headers are both spec-compliant.

Currently, I am more concerned about pulling too much current through the Hubby7 port. The manual says 1000ma total, split 500ma for ports 1 to 3 and 500ma for ports 4 to 7. My LKS is plugged into port 3, Octo in port 1, and D5 Next in port 2. Octo power is Molex, D5 Next power is Sata, but I don’t know how much current they pull through their USB ports. I did some digging and found THIS WEBSITE which says, "High Speed (480Mbits/s) mode uses a 17.78mA constant current for signalling to reduce noise." If this is correct, then the Octo and D5 Next USB ports are pulling 35.56ma total leaving only 14.44ma for the LKS. It has been working this way for months but I think I should move the Octo and D5 Next to different ports and leave ports 1 and 2 open so the LKS has the whole 500ma available.

Freitag, 23. Juni 2023, 10:14

This thread should help you.

Guides and Videos that help beginners
Check, double check and recheck your order to make sure you have everything you need and then some, especially if you are ordering directly from Aquacomputer. It can get tricky. Get extra cables, reservoir filters, seals etc. as a backup since they are cheap. That is what I did because I can't find a lot of this stuff locally in the US. I noticed they got a lot of stuff back in stock.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von »Methodical« (23. Juni 2023, 10:20)

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Remayz

Freitag, 23. Juni 2023, 10:36

"cough" leakshield membranes :)